Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Perfect Gift For The Numismatist Who Has It All -- Not For Sale

numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

First of all, this is NFS (not for sale). I recently purchased this from another dealer who knows that I like exonumia and related items.

You are looking at a contemporary cufflink featuring a 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent. It is relatively high grade with AU details. Authenticity is confirmed by the usual diagnostics, including the mint mark position, which is number four (lowest position).

My guess is that this was created in 1909 or shortly thereafter. The style of the cufflink fits the period perfectly. A jeweler likely made a pair of gilt cufflinks for inventory, or by custom order. A fresh 1909-S VDB cent would have been worth anywhere from $0.01 (if found in change) and up to $1 or more at the time of issue. They were very popular with the public and people were paying a premium, especially for the San Francisco issue with the designer's initials.

Of course the above is speculation. Perhaps the jeweler used any Lincoln cent available and just so happened to pick up an S-VDB. Doubtful, but who knows. I just wish that I had the other cufflink to complete the set!

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I would think that if anyone would have the other cuff link, it would be @ThePennyLady Charmy with her exonumia collection.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that pin can be removed by the right coin restorer by melting the solder and wicking away the solder, dipping the coin, and then re-toning it to a uniform brown color. It would details grade at the major grading services but it would make a nice filler coin for a coin album.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. These come in pairs, I wonder who has the other one. It's still a nice looking cent!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice acquisition. Certainly a keeper. I wonder if the other link was also an S VDB, or some other cent. Ah the mysteries we encounter in the coin hobby. ;) Cheers, RickO

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I imagine that pin can be removed by the right coin restorer by melting the solder and wicking away the solder, dipping the coin, and then re-toning it to a uniform brown color. It would details grade at the major grading services but it would make a nice filler coin for a coin album.

That's a lot of work when in reality, it is worth more as is than it would otherwise.
    It would be fun to find the other one and unite the two.

peacockcoins

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

The coin also appears to have been gold plated as jewelry. It's not just the pin that causes the problem.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file