Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dime with no date, or ridges

I have a dime that has no ridges around it, looks like a penny mixed with a dime. Can’t see the date on dime… Is this dime just worn or do I actually have a unique dime?

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell without photos, but if you found it in circulation it’s almost definitely just worn and/or damaged.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one side looks like a dime, and the other side looks like a cent, then it is likely a 'magician's coin'; in which a cent is machined out on one side, and a machined portion of the dime is then inserted. If so, it was done after the coins left the mint: it is not unique; only a novelty and not rare.

----- kj
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Time2smoke said:
    I have a dime that has no ridges around it, looks like a penny mixed with a dime. Can’t see the date on dime… Is this dime just worn or do I actually have a unique dime?

It's just worn. How would the Mint mix s penny with a dime? They don't reproduce sexually.

The ridges can easily be worn off and are sometimes worn off intentionally by a practice sometimes referred to as spooning.

There are also "dryer coins" which get stuck between the drum and the frame which tends to wear down the outer edge which would also result in something akin to what you describe.

But we usually approach this the other way: how would what you see happen during the normal minting process?

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Time2smoke said:

It's just worn. How would the Mint mix s penny with a dime? They don't reproduce sexually.

Here’s one:

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD washing machine coin for sure.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Time2smoke ... Welcome aboard. You likely have just a worn dime... Modern dimes have a copper core and clad metal outer layers. The reeding (ridges) do get worn off, sometimes intentionally, other times through usage. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file