Home U.S. Coin Forum

When Mint Workers Deliberately Made Proof Error Coins

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mints response?........No Comment.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• ByersByers Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes- legal to own, buy and sell!

A group of proof mint errors that came from a collection held in a safety deposit box was auctioned by the State of California. The U.S. Secret Service inspected and released this collection to the State of California determining that it was legal to own. The State of California then auctioned the collection and it has been dispersed since the sale.

There were some unique exotic and dramatic proof error coins in that group.

Recently another collection that was held intact for 45 years was sold. The 3 leaf clover proof Ike dollars were from that collection, which realized $105k in a Heritage Auction.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
    mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

Some mint state error coins were deliberately struck as well, most likely these😁

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deliberately made anomalies are not errors. Due to the nature of some errors, it is not possible to determine whether intentional or true error. If obviously an intentional creation - rather than error - IMO, they are not worth collecting. Obviously, others do not agree. Cheers, RickO

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Deliberately made anomalies are not errors. Due to the nature of some errors, it is not possible to determine whether intentional or true error. If obviously an intentional creation - rather than error - IMO, they are not worth collecting. Obviously, others do not agree. Cheers, RickO

If our host says it's a mint error. Well..................you know the rest. 🤣 😂

https://coins.ha.com/heritage-auctions-press-releases-and-news/dime-struck-on-a-nail-brings-42-300-at-auction.s?releaseId=2881

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    If our host says it's a mint error. Well..................you know the rest. 🤣 😂

Q: If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog?
    A: Four, because calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

They really do need a better name for these. Using "Error" does not describe what they are. The person that made them knew exactly what they were doing and profited greatly from it. No error involved with the creation of them and no error in them finding their way out of the mint.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass on these obvious "concoctions".....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited May 22, 2022 9:09AM

Some dealers and collectors love assisted proof and mint state error coins, and others do not. To each their own. Obviously enough dealers and collectors love them since many of them bring record prices. Mules, nails, 2 headed or 2 tailed, proof error coins that don’t fit in the proof set holder etc etc.

✅Let’s not forget the assisted proof and mint state PATTERNS that are mules, 2 headed or 2 tailed, or off metals.😉

✅And likely assisted coins struck in GOLD like the Indian Head Cents, the unique Buffalo Nickel, the Pan Pac Halves on cut down $20 St. Gaudens.😉

✅And one of the most famous and expensive concoctions of all time- the deliberately struck fantasy 1913 Liberty Head Nickels.😉

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is taking over for Fred at PCGS now that he is retired?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Q: If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog?
    A: Four, because calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

Hey, I'm just the messenger here, don't shoot!

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these need a new term. Something other than “error” because there was no manufacturing error involved. I don’t know what it should be but perhaps something like mint-made fantasy pieces.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money wins over honesty again.

Purposely made error coins are NOT errors, per se. They were made on purpose.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

TurtleCat stated:

“I think these need a new term. Something other than “error” because there was no manufacturing error involved. I don’t know what it should be but perhaps something like mint-made fantasy pieces.”

It seems that ‘assisted’ mint error , instead of mint error, is a likely addition to the insert if they choose to impliment that.

Having said that, to address your post suggesting possibly ‘mint- made fantasy piece’… the word ‘fantasy’ is already used on the labels, an example being the Clark Gruber gold coin overstrikes by transfer dies labeled ‘fantasy’ by PCGS.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Call them a deliberate error.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

I have no issue if PCGS and/or NGC decide to start adding:

‘assisted/ intentional/deliberate’

to obvious intentionally and deliberately struck fantasy coins such as some errors, patterns and die trials!

Let’s start with the 1913 Liberty Head Nickels. It’s long overdue.

Labeling the proof Ike Dollar 3 leaf clover in the same fashion would be consistent.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual, there is much ado over the term "error". An error is not a coin that was made by mistake, it is a coin that was made wrong (more specifically, misstruck in some way). A coin can be made wrong intentionally or unintentionally.

Many coins made by mistake are not, in fact, errors at all - doubled dies, overdates, RPMs, OMMs, transitional designs, die clashes, gouges, breaks, etc. Many people nevertheless collect these sorts of coins alongside true errors, which is fine. Collect what you like.

The Mint has, at various times, purposely made various rarities for various reasons - it is part of our numismatic history.

edited May 22, 2022 11:26AM

IkesT- obviously!

The U.S Mint has been striking deliberate fantasy coins for over two centuries!

One artificial fantasy/rarity that comes to mind struck almost 200 years ago for diplomatic presentation ( as per the Judd book) is the Proof $10 1804 in SILVER struck in 1834.😳

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file