Home Sports Talk
Options

Are we taking sports too serious?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

A.J. Brown is not going to appear at a youth football camp in Nashville Tennessee because some Titans fans are apparently mad at him and have been harassing him for getting traded to the Eagles, and he feels that his safety is threatened in Tennessee. I think the Titans fans felt he was being a diva and got himself traded.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of us are not, the ones that are threatening players are.

Ofcourse it’s just talk most of it, most of these idiots that are making social media threats are out of shape bums who can’t get off the couch anyways.

Too bad that he will skip the youth appearance but it’s understandable

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

threats are way over the line.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Most of us are not, the ones that are threatening players are.

Ofcourse it’s just talk most of it, most of these idiots that are making social media threats are out of shape bums who can’t get off the couch anyways.

Too bad that he will skip the youth appearance but it’s understandable

Yes, like those guys that lie about their looks on romance chat rooms, "I'm 6'2", blonde hair, blue eyes, surfer body." 😂😂

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just did a small amount of research into this specifically. I am sure that much more would be needed to fully understand the situation. It looks like the camp is not cancelled. Possibly Derrick Henry will be there. And Brown is doing a different camp in a different location at a later time. I didn't see any of the messages Brown was receiving. It is implied that he forced his way out with a trade over money issues and the fans don't like that. I have been on record that I love back and forth between players and fans. Players need to hear it from fans. Threats are not acceptable. But I see more and more players who are saying they are threatened by threats which are false (see the recent Chris Paul incident). In this particular case, whether or not his family is really at risk, it sounds like Brown is trying to get a current Titans star to take his place due to significant fan backlash. If, and only if, no suitable replacement fills in, I will have an issue with him not appearing.

I think that the question in the OP, when asked in general and not in reference to this case, is worth asking. I am sure that many here had times when they did take it too seriously. With age comes perspective. With even more age, at least for me, has come also some inability to fathom and enjoy professional sports due to the money involved and the behavior of owners and players.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I just did a small amount of research into this specifically. I am sure that much more would be needed to fully understand the situation. It looks like the camp is not cancelled. Possibly Derrick Henry will be there. And Brown is doing a different camp in a different location at a later time. I didn't see any of the messages Brown was receiving. It is implied that he forced his way out with a trade over money issues and the fans don't like that. I have been on record that I love back and forth between players and fans. Players need to hear it from fans. Threats are not acceptable. But I see more and more players who are saying they are threatened by threats which are false (see the recent Chris Paul incident). In this particular case, whether or not his family is really at risk, it sounds like Brown is trying to get a current Titans star to take his place due to significant fan backlash. If, and only if, no suitable replacement fills in, I will have an issue with him not appearing.

I think that the question in the OP, when asked in general and not in reference to this case, is worth asking. I am sure that many here had times when they did take it too seriously. With age comes perspective. With even more age, at least for me, has come also some inability to fathom and enjoy professional sports due to the money involved and the behavior of owners and players.

Yes, I still remember the Newton Super Bowl fumble, I get upset about it from time to time, but luckily I have this video as an outlet for stress relief. Angry Grandpa Panthers fan, the night of Super Bowl 50. In the video, Cam Newton had already fumbled the ball away and the Broncos capitalize.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KD3B3m6UyZM

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

A dirtbag making death threats because a guy got traded from your team is a guy that has zero life and never will.
    SF fans throwing bottles and balls at opposing teams are worse still. When idle threats become actions there is no words for the disgust that should be felt.

If your life revolves around wins and losses than you have a very sad existence. Do we take sports too seriously? NO! Not the average sane individual.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2022 1:10PM

Oh, this thread has brought back some very negative feelings about Super Bowl 50. If I could, I would have revenge everyday for lunch, for lunch!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have a current thread going on here now about Jeff Fisher's frickin' pants.....So no, I don't think we take sports too serious. I'm beginning to wonder.....ah, forget it. I can't wait for the NFL preseason...... Then that's when we start to get serious!

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2022 8:55AM

A lot of fans do take sports seriously, but this isn't a problem with "fans". Do I think he Brown would be in danger going to this camp? It's possible. Maybe not from physical altercations, but like he explains, all it takes is one moment of bad judgement to ruin your career, especially for people in the spotlight like athletes. Last year or so Cam Newton and Marshawn Lynch both had altercations at youth camps that they both handled well enough to not have too much backlash. Of course Marshawn doesn't play any longer but still makes a living off the name he made for himself. Cam has already been on shaky ground with his future in the sport, but could have ended sooner had he not been able to keep his cool while getting heckled.

You will always have the more devoted fans for any team (have seen more than 1 TV get taken out worst than the PAnthers fan video after bad losses), but again it's not those fans who are the "threat". It's people just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame, especially now that everyone has a video camera on their phone and all it takes is one viral video to strike it rich in todays world.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s an etiquette at a sporting event, or at least their used to be.

Basically, it came down to the idea that there are kids here, too, so clean it up.

I’ll be honest: fans and players - too high a percentage, anyway - are unable to display respect for the code any longer. Both sides want to be able to antagonize the other without any real consequences whatsoever - perhaps a carry over of the internet muscles people like to flex daily.

Growing up, these were isolated incidents. Now, they happen weekly. I think part of it is the older former players, by not reacting or engaging, stamped out some of the fire of the fans who were trying to impact the game by taking the players head out of it. However when you flip off arenas, decry entire cities or antagonize the fans (short for fanatic, by the way) then you are actually inviting more drama. And you bring more heat on your teammates and put them in a bad spot, too.

As to the fans, I’m all for heckling but it should be PG rated! Have fun, mock the play and not the personal. If it’s about the sport, it’s fair game. Nothing vile or profane - that still leaves a lot of room to operate.

I think that’s fair.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rangers fan arrested after knocking out Lightning fan with vicious sucker-punch

The perpetrator, later identified as 29-year-old James Anastasio of Staten Island, turned around and sucker-punched him on the side of the head as the Lightning fan never had a chance to protect himself.

The victim collapsed and hit his head on the ground. He was tended to by more amicable Rangers fans, who say he regained consciousness five minutes after the attack. According to Evan Axelbank of Fox 13, the New York Police Department said the victim was taken to hospital and is in stable condition.

Witnesses told the New York Police Department that the assault took place around 11:30 p.m. ET after both fans started arguing and the altercation escalated.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Getting into a physical confrontation because someone made a negative comment about” YOUR “team has got to be the ultimate expression of stupidity. The consequence of going to jail ( possible for many years )because they insulted “YOUR” team? Just incredible.