Numismatic Skill Enrichment Comment
I know one Series well (Trade Dollars and varieties in the series are my passion). Along the way I come to appreciate the nuance and depth of many other series ....Bust Quarters, Bust Halves, Early Cents, etc. The detail, understanding of varieties, date/MM strike knowledge of some of the expert collectors is phenomenal. All series have SME's (Subject Matter Experts) and you folks amaze me.
Okay.......a special shout out to Error Collectors, you guys rock. I just recently had to learn a little about the broad range of Errors and this is what I've observed:
- You folks know the mint processes better than anyone! I know that is fundamental to collecting errors, but your technical knowledge is truly astonishing. In some cases, you able to identify the date and mint when no date/mm is visible.
- You are true collectors. You appreciate coins, generally independent of the grade and TPG. There are no guidebooks to refine valuation but you are pretty consistent. I haven't quite cracked the code on what makes an error more valuable than other errors, but you are unafraid of making an assessment and sticking by it.
- You are the most diverse collectors of anyone.......specialists in cuds, clips, OC, broadstrikes, etc.
- You are all incredibly helpful, patient and collaborative with folks that are not as knowledgeable. Thanks for the multiple assists.
I recommend that for anyone collecting a "typical" series, take a small diversion, spend some time learning, appreciating and trying to value errors, and you'll be a better collector.
keoj
Comments
-
Good post, and I agree with your comments. Understanding the mint process - in detail - is crucial to understanding, identifying and valuing errors. Cheers, RickO
1
Leave a Comment
Categories
- All Categories
- 520.1K Coins and Currency - PCGS
- 328.6K U.S. Coin Forum
- 14.8K PCGS Set Registry Forum
- 5.2K Q & A Forum
- 41.4K World & Ancient Coins Forum
- 3K U.S. & World Currency Forum
- 96.4K Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
- 7.3K Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
- 1.5K Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
- 61 Random
- 246.2K Trading Cards, Autographs and Memorabilia - PSA
- 90.3K Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
- 1.7K Autographs Forum
- 16.4K PSA Set Registry Forum
- 22K Sports Talk
- 115K Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
- 663 Buy, Sell & Trade - Autographs
- 2.2K Stamps
- 1.5K Stamps Forum
- 670 Buy, Sell & Trade - Stamps
- 83 Coin Shows
- 83 General Coin Show Information and Discussion
- 11.9K Misc
- 11.9K Testing Forum