Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Real or fake 1972 DDO Lincoln

VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine showed me this coin that he’s had for a long time. I’m not very good with Lincoln cents so I’m asking for your opinion. I’m leaning towards fake. No reason why, but something about it makes me think it not real. What should the weight range be on it? Thanks

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think real but I would want to weight it. Crisp details for an EF weight should be about 3.1 grams

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

just for convenience. MAX

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gut says it's genuine.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears genuine to me.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks genuine but weird color. Perhaps it's the lighting. Weigh it to be sure but I see no obvious red flags

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭

The weight should be right around 3.11 grams, I think.

imageimage

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks authentic to me..... A little wear, but I do not see anything that shouts fake. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks OK to me

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's something off about the letters. It might be the photo, but I have concerns about it. Look at the "WE" and the "S" in "TRUST". The letters are oddly thin.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 3:50PM

Check for the die gouge on the reverse.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    There's something off about the letters. It might be the photo, but I have concerns about it. Look at the "WE" and the "S" in "TRUST". The letters are oddly thin.

Agree, the whole obverse seems a bit off. I’m suspicious that it may die struck from a genuine coin. But I’m no expert, and only looking at pics on my obsolete iPhone.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Agree, the whole obverse seems a bit off. I’m suspicious that it may die struck from a genuine coin. But I’m no expert, and only looking at pics on my obsolete iPhone.

Agree. It also has the color of the Chinese fakes.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see the die scratches or gouge, I'm suspicious.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it myself. Feels off.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just has a "strange" look to it.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I do not see the die scratches or gouge, I'm suspicious.

Because it isn't there. The coin is counterfeit.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't typically go out of my way in looking for this particular date, but my first thought was that I don't think I've ever seen a '72 DDO in less than AU50 condition and with at least some mint luster remaining.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it’s the photo, but my immediate reaction is that something about that piece looks off to me.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

My spidey-sense says bad.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing detail on the Memorial for such a "worn" coin.The aging looks artificial.

• Options

I tried to get a good picture of the die gouge, but this was the best I could get. It is there so I’m perplexed. I’m still leaning towards a fake, but has anyone seen a fake with the gouge?

Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options

If the die gouge is there I would say it's genuine. ;)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not rare enough to be faked in low grade.

• Options

Another picture

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it looks a bit off.
    I have a feeling it's real though.
    I have looked for a nice circulated example for years.
    Not many to be found.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought counterfeit. Then saw the pics of the die gouge.

Now I don't know for sure. It just might be genuine. It's awful dark.

Time to submit.

"To prove it's legit, you must submit".

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

I would love to pocket wear that one for a few days and send it in.
    Could be very nice.

• Options

The little wear that is visible is perfectly matched to a pocket worn piece by the way

• Options

I just got word back from ANACS. It’s real, graded AU50.

• Options

Thanks for the update! :)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vetter said:
    I just got word back from ANACS. It’s real, graded AU50.

thanks for update and glad to see it worked out.

i've watched this thread off and on and i think the only think i have to contribute at this point is that those image(s) made and/or broke this situation which should have been pretty simple.

that is to say, if you have the ability to provide better pictures, it may save you (and us/others) a lot of time and money in the long run. fwiw, my iphone 6s, i paid $60 for it (3+ years ago or so) and it takes wonderful pics for the price and convenience.

the analysis here is how much are you willing to spend (if necessary, since i don't know what you are currently using) vs how much in grading fees you will have to spend (not that having this graded is a bad thing) in order to encourage upgrading imaging technique and/or equipment.

also, it could be the lighting. did you use ambient light? let us know and we can help. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

I believe it's the real deal Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file