Home Sports Talk
Options

Were the 2000 Baltimore Ravens the best defense ever?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bring this up because ESPN is going to do a 30 For 30 about the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

ESPN announces 30 For 30 doc on 2000 Baltimore Ravens

Tuesday it was announced that ESPN Films has started production on 30 For 30 about the black and purple NFL team that dominated the 2000 season.

The announcement was for a doc on the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, whose infamously tough defense led them to a Super Bowl victory. Led by Ray Lewis, Sam Adams, and Rod Woodsen, the Ravens gave up just 970 rushing yards, five rushing touchdowns, and 165 total points on the year, all records for a 16-game season. Including the playoffs, Baltimore’s defense allowed just 188 points in 20 games that season (9.4 points per game). The Ravens also recovered 26 fumbles and garnered 23 interceptions, leading the NFL with 49 turnovers. And that defense powered the team to a championship all while their offense, led by quarterback Trent Dilfer, sputtered throughout the entire season.

“No team in NFL history has boasted, bullied, or brandished as much bravado as the 2000-2001 Baltimore Ravens,” said ESPN’s release. “The rest of the NFL hated the Ravens but no one could say a thing, because they couldn’t beat them on the field, especially facing, arguably, the greatest defense ever. Luckily for sports fans, their full-throated reign coincided perfectly with the rise of the “reality television” era via Hard Knocks.”

The documentary will be co-directed by Ken Rodgers, whom 30 for 30 viewers will know from his work on The Tuck Rule, The Two Bills, and Al Davis vs. The NFL, as well as Jason Weber, who previously directed NFL Network’s The Way Up: Chris Long & The Waterboys. The doc will be produced by Erik Powers, who produced and co-directed Deion’s Double Play.

Comments

• Options

I love this Sports Illustrated cover from that season.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are definitely right there with the 1985 Bears imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a killer defense.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were absolutely ferocious

I think between them and the 85 Bears

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 3:28AM

1965 Buffalo Bills
    Gave up 16.1 points a game.
    . Between week 6 of the 1964 season, through week eight of the 1965 season, including two 1964 playoff games, the Bills' defense did not allow a touchdown by rushing, a Professional Football record that still stands.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 75 or 76 Steelers were up there if I remember correctly

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The 75 or 76 Steelers were up there if I remember correctly

I believe it was Jack Ham that said the 76 Steelers were best defense of all of those Steelers teams in the 70s.

• Options

The 91 Eagles had a ferocious defense.

The Philadelphia Eagles couldn't quite overcome Randall Cunningham's ACL injury in the season opener, but the defense provided a great chance.

Reggie White and Co. stood atop the NFL with 55 sacks, also allowing a league-low 3.0 yards per rush attempt. Opponents scored four touchdowns on the ground all season and threw 26 interceptions—the third-most in the NFL.

In addition to White's 15 sacks, six—count 'em, six!—defenders were credited with at least 100 tackles.

Notable stats: Andre Waters (156 tackles), Reggie White (100 tackles, 15 sacks), Clyde Simmons (115 tackles, 13 sacks), Byron Evans (111 tackles) Seth Joyner (110 tackles, four fumble recoveries), Mike Pitts (100 tackles), Jerome Brown (nine sacks)

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    The 91 Eagles had a ferocious defense.

The Philadelphia Eagles couldn't quite overcome Randall Cunningham's ACL injury in the season opener, but the defense provided a great chance.

Reggie White and Co. stood atop the NFL with 55 sacks, also allowing a league-low 3.0 yards per rush attempt. Opponents scored four touchdowns on the ground all season and threw 26 interceptions—the third-most in the NFL.

In addition to White's 15 sacks, six—count 'em, six!—defenders were credited with at least 100 tackles.

Notable stats: Andre Waters (156 tackles), Reggie White (100 tackles, 15 sacks), Clyde Simmons (115 tackles, 13 sacks), Byron Evans (111 tackles) Seth Joyner (110 tackles, four fumble recoveries), Mike Pitts (100 tackles), Jerome Brown (nine sacks)

Mike Golic was on that Eagles defense as well. lol

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant think of a Defense that was better than the 2000 ravens. possibly as good, but not better.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I cant think of a Defense that was better than the 2000 ravens. possibly as good, but not better.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. Especially if you do an "era adjustment". To give up 165 points in the "modern" era with the heavy emphasis on offense is crazy. FOUR shutouts. The average team that year scored 330 points, meaning Baltimore's average was HALF the league average. By contrast, the 1985 Bears gave up 198 points and had "only" two shutouts in the regular season before adding two more in the playoffs.. Surprisingly, scoring was actually bit higher in 1985, with the average team scoring 344 points meaning Chicago gave up 58% of the league average in points.

You can't go wrong with any of the teams mentioned but I would still go with 2000 Baltimore.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

1969 Vikings would also be in the conversation (keep in mind these are for a 14 game season):
    30 interceptions
    49 sacks
    had 2 shutouts
    held opponents to 9.5 points per game

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 12:34PM

71 Vikings Purple people eaters were a more notorious Defense than 69 Vikings, 85 bears continually get the greatest defense credit but would say the 2000 ravens were a better defense, just not as storied as the 85 bears. Been some good runner ups though and some pretty cool nicknames to go with them like the 91 Eagles Gang green, the 69 raiders 11 angry men, the 76 Steelers Steel Curtain, and maybe one more forgotten about for being more recent, the Legion of Boom 2012 Seahawks

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@omgjedi said:
    71 Vikings Purple people eaters were a more notorious Defense than 69 Vikings, 85 bears continually get the greatest defense credit but would say the 2000 ravens were a better defense, just not as storied as the 85 bears. Been some good runner ups though and some pretty cool nicknames to go with them like the 91 Eagles Gang green, the 69 raiders 11 angry men, the 76 Steelers Steel Curtain, and maybe one more forgotten about for being more recent, the Legion of Boom 2012 Seahawks

I vote that the Booby Prize goes to the 2019 Patriots The Boogeymen (who ended up not scaring anyone in the end).

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

New York Giants - 1986

If you’re defense doesn’t have Lawrence Taylor, it’s not going to be better. 😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    New York Giants - 1986

hey 51Wheaties,
    LT was an offensive nightmare: just a pain in the ass to block & cover, very disruptive on the gridiron… :)

• Options

I'm pickin these guys and I'm an ex-Chicagoan; sorry 85 Bears... :)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

New York Giants - 1986

hey 51Wheaties,
    LT was an offensive nightmare: just a pain in the ass to block & cover, very disruptive on the gridiron… :)

>

A bad man…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

New York Giants - 1986

hey 51Wheaties,

>

A bad man…

another bad man... :)