Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tell us something about a card that we may not know

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought it was cool when Paulmaul pointed out that Rusty Staub did not have a 1973 Topps card but he did make an appearance in the set on another players card.

Tell us something about about a card, set, or regional issue that we may not be aware of.

Here’s one. Whenever Jeremy Roenick signs this rookie card, he has stated that he will never sign over Brett Hull’s face out of a sign of respect to Brett.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 17, 2022 7:18AM

Lumley, Clancy, and Richard are the three send ins from Quaker Oats ?

If so, it’s ironic how they are also involved in this mystery.

The Rocket on the left of your picture appears to have a stained front. Any chances that is a water stain and the water discolored the reverse ?

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2022 7:40AM

@Goldenage said:
    Lumley, Clancy, and Richard are the three send ins from Quaker Oats ?

If so, it’s ironic how they are also involved in this mystery.

The Rocket on the left of your picture appears to have a stained front. Any chances that is a water stain and the water discolored the reverse ?

Hi Goldenage,

The Richard has uneven toning but isn't water damaged. The card stock is categorically different from the grey backs. 100 percent certain the Richard pictured is from the tan backs sheet.

The 1955 Quaker Oats sp's Lumley, Clancy, and Richard were all located side by side on the parkhurst sheet on the bottom right of the 11th and bottom row. This allowed Parkhurst, which used guillotine cutting until 1957, to cut and collate those cards separately to be held back by Quaker Oats and inserted as they wished.

Who knows why Parkhurst withheld the 11th row cards in the tan back variation, but it was very helpful in undertaking my research on the sheet reconstruction.

-Nathanael

• Options

Good work Nathaniel. Geez the coin guys on the coin forum could have a 10 page back and forth on the toning on that Rocket. Thank God that won’t happen here.

The first short print ever graded by PSA was a fake. Someone took a regular Clancy and glued another cards green back to the back while doing “damage” to Clancys name on the back. I contacted PSA and the eBay seller and PSA removed it from the market.

Guys like you and I who love the purity and joy this hobby brings can only enjoy it more with the knowledge you’re gaining with your research, and can pass it on to others as well.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a lot of anecdotes that fit well with this thread, I suggest reading two books by Ken Reid, Hockey Card Stories (volume 1 and 2).

https://amazon.com/Hockey-Card-Stories-Favorite-Players/dp/1770411976

https://amazon.com/Hockey-Card-Stories-Favourite-Players/dp/1770413502/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=1770413502&psc=1

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a really cool Mantle cartoon on the back of the 1957 Topps Larry Jackson.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

That jordan is incredible - great find!

• Options
    agragr Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Card number 800, Darryl Palmer, in the 84 Topps set. Produced in limited quantities as a prop for the movie The Slugger's Wife. Features Danny Noonan of Caddyshack fame as Darryl Palmer.

In the issued 1984 set the head shots in the insert boxes extend outside the box. There is a proof set of 66 cards where the heads are all "Encased" completely within the box. That set is notable for the Carlton card having Gary Mathews in the insert and the Mathews card having Carlton. Also Many Trillo appears as an Indian....err Guardian, rather than a Giant

Encased set

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    I'm still not sure if anybody noticed this before I did, but a few years ago I discovered that these 2 pictures in these Michael Jordan cards were snapped at the very same exact time......from different angles by 2 different photographers! How is this even possible?

80_Jordan_Picture_Same_Instant

81_Jordan_Picture_Same_Instant

This is a joke, nothing more:

Because Michael Jordan only had about five highlights with the Wizards so though the camera men were bored, they definitely had the cameras ready every time.

😂😂😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 3:11PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@frankhardy said:
    I'm still not sure if anybody noticed this before I did, but a few years ago I discovered that these 2 pictures in these Michael Jordan cards were snapped at the very same exact time......from different angles by 2 different photographers! How is this even possible?

Because Michael Jordan only had about five highlights with the Wizards so though the camera men were bored, they definitely had the cameras ready every time.

😂😂😉

Good one! That's as good of an explanation as any I could come up with! I realize that was tongue in cheek! LOL. However, to set the record straight, let me list a few highlights from his Wizards days. Keep in mind he was 38, 39, and 40 years old with the Wizards.

He averaged 22.9 and 20.0 pts per game during those 2 seasons. How many young studs today have never accomplished that?

He had a 51 point game at the age of 38.

He had a 45 point game just shy of his 40th birthday

He had a 43 point game after turning 40.

The Ron Mercer block!

Last second shot in the 2003 All Star Game.

For your viewing pleasure....MJ lighting it up for 51 points!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-szbNsmHw&ab_channel=HouseofHighlights

Shane

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 4:50PM

This a small glossy paper poster rather than a card.

Blum's Baseball Bulletin - printed from 1905 to 1979.

Here's 2 "premiums" that I picked up many years ago - didn't really want/need them but got them very cheap as I recall.

Here's the checklist:

and an excerpt from the Standard Catalog:

An example of the Bulletin:

And the 2 - 9 1/2 X 14" premiums:

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice, Mike.

Your collection continues to amaze. Would love to see how the “mancave” turned out.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@frankhardy said:

😂😂😉

Good one! That's as good of an explanation as any I could come up with! I realize that was tongue in cheek! LOL. However, to set the record straight, let me list a few highlights from his Wizards days. Keep in mind he was 38, 39, and 40 years old with the Wizards.

He averaged 22.9 and 20.0 pts per game during those 2 seasons. How many young studs today have never accomplished that?

He had a 51 point game at the age of 38.

He had a 45 point game just shy of his 40th birthday

He had a 43 point game after turning 40.

The Ron Mercer block!

Last second shot in the 2003 All Star Game.

For your viewing pleasure....MJ lighting it up for 51 points!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh-szbNsmHw&ab_channel=HouseofHighlights

That Ron Mercer block is one of my favorite Jordan highlights of all time. I was watching the game live and wondered who the blocker was. I kept playing it over and over again and couldn't believe it when I found out it was Jordan.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Always wondered what the cardboard material was made of.
    Now I know.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

This one may be more well known, but I recently found out about this and I thought it was pretty cool. This Candy Maldonado card is pretty basic on the front, but if you look at the back there's a guy holding a glove as Candy plays long toss. That guy is none other than actor Corey Haim.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Gary Pettis' 14-year-old brother ended up on his brothers 1985 Topps baseball card. Gary refuses to sign that card too.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/gary-pettis-1985-topps-card-origins-revealed-c289718392

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly a card fact but a cool piece of trivia with the emphasis on piece. Believe it or not, there is no James Bond film starring Sean Connery where he isn’t wearing a hair piece of some kind. Yes, even in Dr. No…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Pepe Mangual rookie card sold for over $1,500. Nobody knows why.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.