Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln Wheat Cent error find

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 14, 2022 2:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently bought a few rolls of Wheat Cents at a local coin shop, to use in over-striking.

As I culled through them, I came across this one and my first thought was, well, that is really defective and I can't use it for the intended purpose. But then I realized that it was actually a genuine straight-clipped planchet error. And then I noted the date, which I think makes it a lot more unusual. And the grade is pretty nice also. I guess the coin shop thought it was damaged since an EF grade undamaged 1925-D cent is worth pricing individually (about $12).

One way to tell a genuine clipped-planchet mint error is the "Blakesley Effect". When a planchet is rolled on the edge to upset the rim, if there is a void in the planchet then the area opposite from the void does not have the rim raised up normally. The result on the struck coin is that the rim appears flattened opposite of the clip (see the area from 7:00 to 8:00 on the obverse, 10:00 to 11:00 on the reverse).

A curved clip occurs when a blank is punched out of a sheet where the punch overlaps part of an existing hole from a previous punch. The radius of the curvature of the clip will match the radius of the normal coin.

A straight clip (like this one) occurs when a planchet is punched partially off the edge of the sheet. The sheet stock is formed by rolling out ingots of metal (bronze in this case). Any impurity (such as brass) is elongated in the direction of rolling. The edge of the sheet is also parallel to the direction of rolling. So if a genuine straight clip coin has any planchet streaks, they will almost always be parallel to the flat edge of the clip. Note the brass streak on the reverse, which is parallel to the clip edge.

Comments

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic, and genuine!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice roll find, wow!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing people spent it without a second thought.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly unusual find. An error that doesn't require a magnifying glass to be seen ... high circulated grade ... 1925-D!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised the shop did not recognize the error. Unless they bought the rolls from someone w/o checking the contents. Might be a good shop to check in on in the future if they missed this error. May be more to uncover.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty amazed that made it into bulk Wheats. Even besides the error - I think it makes full AU, and this is a better strike than the majority of 25-D cents. Awesome find.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye Dan. And a great rescue from the flotsam and jetsam of coins. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great roll find.... Always fun to find unexpected little treasures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps an inspiration for future overstikes?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are important diagnostics for straight clips in the first post that are worth noting (direction of flaws/rolling).

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a mixed alloy also

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_nut1977 said:

Yup. Great woodgrain toning. Are you going to get it slabbed?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2022 5:30AM

This is a super cool find.

One note: the shape of a curved clip will not always match the curvature of the circumference of a normal cent. Sometimes the strike will distort the shape enough that they do not closely match. I would say this happens more commonly with larger curved clips.

@dcarr said:
    A curved clip occurs when a blank is punched out of a sheet where the punch overlaps part of an existing hole from a previous punch. The radius of the curvature of the clip will match the radius of the normal coin.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@PerryHall said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:

Not at this time. Maybe later.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    This is a super cool find.

One note: the shape of a curved clip will not always match the curvature of the circumference of a normal cent. Sometimes the strike will distort the shape enough that they do not closely match. I would say this happens more commonly with larger curved clips.

@dcarr said:

Yes, striking can definitely distort the curvature of the clip. Prior to striking, the curvature should be pretty close to the radius of a punched blank, unless there is an unusual circumstance where different diameter blanks are punched from the same sheet.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! The details are pretty good for the year too.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing some of the tell tale signs of straight and curved clipped coins... the 1924-D is a great "end of sheet" clip

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@PerryHall said:

@Coin_nut1977 said:

Not at this time. Maybe later.

A magnificent example of a coin THAT DOES NOT NEED TO BE SLABBED!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find. I really like the looks of that one.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    Pretty cool!

Thanks @bsshog40- For me, it's a highlight of my modest numismatic life! 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    acsbacsb Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

What we need is a 1910 VDB

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 9:39PM

Very cool find @dcarr! The Blakesley Effect is the first thing I look for with clips.

Do you, @FredWeinberg, @Byers, or @ErrorsOnCoins recall the first name of Mr. Blakesley? I've spent some time looking for it and haven't found it yet, though I do know he's from California and published his research in Errorscope.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 9:34PM

@TurtleCat said:

Oh, I'm sure people thought about it, as in "I hope they let me spend it for a cent!"

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

Oh, I'm sure people thought about it, as in "I hope they let me spend it for a cent!"

That’s true, they may have thought someone would accuse them of clipping the metal. Although in those days copper wasn’t as expensive proportionately as it is now.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should post that coin in the dcarr error thread. Also if either of you decide to part with those coins (the '08-S or the '25-D), you know who should be your first call ;)

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    You should post that coin in the dcarr error thread. Also if either of you decide to part with those coins (the '08-S or the '25-D), you know who should be your first call ;)

Sean Reynolds

Are you referring to me Sean?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Nice find, and excellent point about the "grain" of the metal flow paralleling the straight clip.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file