Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

FS: 1902-S Liberty Head $10 Eagle - MS 62 in PCGS Rattler Holder

lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last call for alcohol...this is getting cracked out in a week if no sale.

• doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭

Has it ever been sent for CAC? Probably better to do that if it hasent.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

Pm sent

edited May 21, 2022 3:01PM

@doubleeagle07 said:
    Has it ever been sent for CAC? Probably better to do that if it hasent.

Haven't a clue.

I know many people love rattlers but I hate them. I like but don't love the coin. But If I can sell for a reasonable (for me of course :D ) price I can buy a replacement in a holder I like. If not, I can have PCGS regrade (but have them crack under their regrade service). If it gets an upgrade that would be wonderful but either way, paying $50 to PCGS to regrade/reholder and TV is a better deal and less expensive than paying markups/downs in a buy/sell transaction.

(I got the coin in a trade which is how I ended up with a holder I hate in the first place)

• doubleeagle07doubleeagle07 Posts: 395 ✭✭✭

Yeah people pay premiums for those rattlers, especially if it gets a gold bean, thing could go for crazy money. Honestly looks like it could go to a MS63. Good luck selling.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

@doubleeagle07 said:
    Yeah people pay premiums for those rattlers, especially if it gets a gold bean, thing could go for crazy money. Honestly looks like it could go to a MS63. Good luck selling.

Thank you! There was a thread on the US Coin page - "Should rattlers command a premium?" This was kind of my test case; this one listing is hardly indicative of the entire market but the asking price is at PCGS price guide and right in line with eBay prices. It looks to me like the answer is no, at least my rattler has not commanded a premium.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

You hate rattlers and don’t love the coin yet you bought the coin 🤔

• CoinsExplorerCoinsExplorer Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@doubleeagle07 said:

Thank you! There was a thread on the US Coin page - "Should rattlers command a premium?" This was kind of my test case; this one listing is hardly indicative of the entire market but the asking price is at PCGS price guide and right in line with eBay prices. It looks to me like the answer is no, at least my rattler has not commanded a premium.

I actually wrote about this today on my Coin Blog.
    Here is an excerpt:
    The PCGS White Label Coin holder is the First Generation 1.0 slab for PCGS. It was originally used for only a few days in February 1986 when the company started. This first generation is a 2 piece “Rattler” holder that features a flat white label and crude dot matrix printing. The key difference between the 1.0 and the 1.1 is the quality of the dot matrix printing. It is believed that approximately 1,000 coins were slabbed in this style holder and the beginning serial number was #108001. Current known survivors are at 35.

The one you have is newer and is actually fairly common. You can tell by the serial number. You have a generation 1.2, The 1.0 and 1.1 command a premium and it's really just due to scarcity.

Here is a good reference: https://www.oldslabholders.com/post/pcgs-slab-generations

Sold To: PerryHall, Konsole, Outhaul
    Bought From: mightyhunter, JoeLewis, LukeMarshall, KollectorKing

I have solid eBay ratings and have done business with many on other forums.
    edited May 21, 2022 11:21PM

@JimTyler said:
    You hate rattlers and don’t love the coin yet you bought the coin 🤔

It was part of a trade that I got the better of - this and a common date ms61 indian head eagle for a bullion 1oz gold and a plain ASE. Had to do it.

Thank you @coinsexplorer nice write up!