Home Sports Talk

First image of the Black hole captured

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just unbelievable, NASA captured an image of the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy, the Blsck hole is 4 million times the size of the sun.

First image of supermassive black hole at the center of Milky Way galaxy revealed

(CNN) For the first time, astronomers have captured an image of the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy.

It's the first direct observation confirming the presence of the black hole, known as Sagittarius A*, as the beating heart of the Milky Way.

Black holes don't emit light, but the image shows the shadow of the black hole surrounded by a bright ring of light, which is bent by the gravity of the black hole. Astronomers say the black hole is 4 million times more massive than our sun.

It has taken years for astronomers to capture and confirm this image and discovery. Previously, scientists observed stars orbiting some invisible, massive object at the galactic center.

The discovery was made possible by more than 300 researchers from 80 institutions working with a network of eight different radio telescopes around the globe that comprise the Event Horizon Telescope. The telescope is named after the "event horizon," the point at which no light can escape from a black hole.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, I am a space buff so this just blows my mind.

Black holes are beautiful, but if one were to ever come into contact with Earth, it would be the end of the world, instant armageddon.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like these threads DoubleD, but I have to admit that, as I have gotten older and changed a bit, I feel as though this type of "science" is pretty nefarious. I know that my opinion is out of the norm. But still, I will stand back as this thread carries on. I have said my piece. 😂🤷🙃🙏

@thisistheshow said:
    I like these threads DoubleD, but I have to admit that, as I have gotten older and changed a bit, I feel as though this type of "science" is pretty nefarious. I know that my opinion is out of the norm. But still, I will stand back as this thread carries on. I have said my piece. 😂🤷🙃🙏

Fear not, the Black hole is no threat to us, it has been there a long time and It's not pulling material in like a vacuum cleaner, it serves as a gravitational anchor for a group of stars to orbit around, for billions of years. The chances of another black hole approaching us are very slim, it certainly won't happen in our lifetime. Space is a very beautiful place, but it is very dangerous, there are things that could wipe us out instantly, asteroids, gamma ray bursts, black holes, we're very vulnerable, but the chances of that happening are very low. There's a better chance that humans will eventually destroy the Earth by not taking care of it.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dragon Master,..... My first thought reading the title of this thread, was that you were going to post a screenshot of the Sports Forum Homepage....... My mistake.😁

@doubledragon said:
    Black holes are beautiful, but if one were to ever come into contact with Earth, it would be the end of the world, instant armageddon.

Not if Bruce Willis was on the scene...

@Hydrant said:
    Dragon Master,..... My first thought reading the title of this thread, was that you were going to post a screenshot of the Sports Forum Homepage....... My mistake.😁

No grasshopper, this is a space thread, and Aaron Rodgers isn't allowed in here!

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

Not if Bruce Willis was on the scene...

I love that movie, Steve Buscemi was great in it!

Here is a diagram of the Black hole, Sagittarius A.

edited May 12, 2022 10:18AM

The event horizon of a Black hole is the area right before you go inside the hole, the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape it, if Earth entered the event horizon there would be no escape, it would tear Earth completey apart.

I wish the CERN scientists would stop screwing with the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), it is located underground in Geneva Switzerland. It is a huge circle shaped machine, miles and miles long, where they conduct experiments by smashing particles together, trying to recreate the conditions of the big bang, so they can try to learn the secrets of the universe. They have been warned that thise experiments could be very dangerous, they could create a Black hole or dark matter and it could cause the end of the world.

I watched a movie recently called 3022 starring Omar Epps, it's about a group of international astronauts living on the space station, and one day the world just ends and they see it happen from space, a CERN Large Hadron Collider experiment on Earth goes bad and the Earth is wiped out instantly and the astronauts are the only people still alive in the entire universe.

Keep the Hydrantettes away from this thread, space is a scary place, I don't want them to see this thread, save the Hydrantettes!

Of course, an asteroid impact was believed to have killed off the dinosaurs, an asteroid 7.5 mikes wide struck the Yucatan peninsula and left a crater 125 miles wide. The crater is known as Chicxulub crater.

Here is what the asteroid would have looked like when it hit Earth.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you call the earth if it went into a Back Hole?

It would be called "Black Hole's Matter".

@SanctionII said:
    What would you call the earth if it went into a Back Hole?

It would be called "Black Hole's Matter".

Black hole humor, I like it. As NASA develops better telescopes and clearer images, here is what the Black hole is projected to look like in the year 2029.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2022 12:03PM

doubledragon just gave me my 400th LOL on the Forums. :)

My thanks to you for causing me to reach this milestone (took me almost 18 years to reach it).

BTW, I also like science stuff.

@SanctionII said:
    doubledragon just gave me my 400th LOL on the Forums. :)

My thanks to you for causing me to reach this milestone (took me almost 18 years to reach it).

BTW, I also like science stuff.

You're welcome, glad to help, I hope to someday reach a milestone myself, I want to reach 1 million LOLs, of course I do have a way to go. And despite what anyone says, I have never given myself a LOL under an alternate account!

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nanu Nanu

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I have seen it personally with my own eyeballs.

edited May 12, 2022 2:03PM

@doubledragon said:
    Keep the Hydrantettes away from this thread, space is a scary place, I don't want them to see this thread, save the Hydrantettes!

Hey, I just watched a movie a couple of nights ago on TCM.....It was Zero Hour. 1957. The movie Airplane? is a complete rip-off of Zero Hour! Both films are good, but, Zero Hour was a DRAMA! HILARIOUS! I laughed my as* off! Airplane is a spoof of Zero Hour. Funny stuff.......Lloyd Bridges was great in Airplane!...... But....the same character is played by Sterling Hayden in Zero Hour! CHAIN SMOKER! FUNNY! YOU GOT TO SEE IT......And.....Linda Darnell was a beautiful, beautiful woman. Tragic ending to her life.....Don't smoke in bed.

It's a laugh riot!!!!

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

What does Kyrie Irving think about all of this ??

edited May 12, 2022 2:31PM

@doubledragon said:
    Keep the Hydrantettes away from this thread, space is a scary place, .........

Hey I don't have to keep the. Hydrantettes away from anything scary. They are all self-starters. ........Hell,....they won't even watch Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, or even the Wizard of Oz!.... Scares the Holy Hell out of them.....No Joke!

The Hydrantettes and their " Protectors!"

Those girls are CHICKENS!

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:
    Keep the Hydrantettes away from this thread, space is a scary place, .........

Hey I don't have to keep the. Hydrantettes away from anything scary. They are all self-starters. ........Hell,....they won't even watch Snow White or Sleeping Beauty, or even the Wizard of Oz!.... Scares the Holy Hell out of them.....No Joke!

You should watch the Exorcist as a family. Make popcorn, have candies...soda too. LOL.

Hey, I just watched a movie a couple of nights ago on TCM.....It was Zero Hour. 1957. The movie Airplane? is a complete rip-off of Zero Hour! Both films are good, but, Zero Hour was a DRAMA! HILARIOUS! I laughed my as* off! Airplane is a spoof of Zero Hour. Funny stuff.......Lloyd Bridges was great in Airplane!...... But....the same character is played by Sterling Hayden in Zero Hour! CHAIN SMOKER! FUNNY! YOU GOT TO SEE IT......And.....Linda Darnell was a beautiful, beautiful woman. Tragic ending to her life.....Don't smoke in bed.

It's a laugh riot!!!!

I'll have to check that movie out, I've seen Airplane at least 50 times, and I know what you're going to say, "have you really seen it 50 times, surely you can't be serious?"

edited May 12, 2022 3:58PM

I believe you DD......but for those who haven't seen Airplane 50 times.....Make it a double feature....Airplane first and Zero Hour second. The Lloyd Bridges/Sterling Hayden characters are hilarious! Hayden is playing the same role as he played as Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper in Dr. Strangeglove. I swear he is making a spoof of the movie under the radar! Even the guy who jumps out the tower window in Airplane, he's there in Zero Hour!....it's so funny. And......if I recall right, isn't there a scene in Airplane when the rescue crews are waiting on the runway?......well, you just have to see original rescue scene in Zero Hour......you will CRACK UP!.....

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know much about space, but this thread reminds me of one of my favorite 90s songs:

Black Hole Sun

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

edited May 12, 2022 5:11PM

@Mickey71 said:

You should watch the Exorcist as a family. Make popcorn, have candies...soda too. LOL.

Mickey Baby, When that movie came out in 1973 it was the Rage of The Age. You couldn't get a ticket!...I remember going from theater to theater trying to get in. Lines stretched around the block. The only reason I even tried was because my girlfriend at the time wanted to see it......Just an aside,.......I dodged a bullet with that girl.....AND......DO NOT GO TO YOUR 50th HIGH SCHOOL REUNION!!...... UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!..... If you do,....your memories and nighttime dreams will be CRUSHED FOREVER!!....... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!...... They're old Granny's now!....DON'T GO!........Now, back to our feature film. When I finally did see it....with her.....YUK!.......I thought that movie was a stinker from start to finish...... Unless you watched it as a comedy!......What a dud!

The worst part was when the old lady kept saying, " Why did you do this to me, Dimmy?"
    Sweet Baby Jesus....What a Stupid Movie!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive discovery. However, when I mention this to friends all they are worried about is the price of gas.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that might be the 2022 Boston Red Sox. It takes some doing to be lower than the Orioles, but Sox are doing it. I can’t image how PO’d the fans are.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"