Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Two new additions to my very small Worthy Coin Merchant Cards....scroll to bottom for the new ones

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 11, 2022 6:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

His store cards were designed using an oversized 1792 LIBERTY PARENT OF SCIENCE & INDUST.
He was quite the coin salesman DON CORRADO ROMANO (1903-1984)
Don Corrado Romano, Jr. (1926-1999), was born on February 24, 1926, at Rutherford, New Jersey. Romano, Jr., followed in his father's footsteps and also became a coin dealer.
You can read more with this link to E-Sylum
In 1943, he opened Worthy Coin Company, 23 Cornhill, Boston, Massachusetts, and published and sold coin premium catalogues.
The obverse depicts a plugged bust of Liberty with: LIBERTY PARENT OF SCIENCE & INDUST:around. Dated 1792
The verbiage on the reverse is: THE/WORTHY/COIN/1938-1988/CELEBRATING 50 years OF/NUMISMATIC EXCELLENCE/CORRADO ROMANO/FOUNDER 1928/INC. 1938

A few years back I purchased a lot that had 7 coins in it all advertising Worthy Coinshop

1988 Worthy Coin Co.
There are two rainbow-toned examples in copper, plus one each in aluminum, copper with a silver center, silver, and one overstruck on an 1891-O Morgan silver dollar.
I also have an elongated struck on a Dime but haven't imaged it yet.

Fast foreward a few years and I ran into this auction of 2-1988 Worthy coin Co. tokens,
One copper with silver center, and one lead. Obverse is a copy of the 1792 Judd-1 Pattern Cent.

It got me thinking could this really be struck from a cancelled die? I ran into Stacks auction that sold the dies for $75
Sure wish I knew how owns them now.......

Now, that tells me okay its worth a shot buying it but I have no idea as to if more than this one was struck in lead or were there many? I also found out the The Copper strikes are limited to 500 and the bimetallic copper with silver center is only 92 minted.
Needless to say I thought these two would make a great addition to the seven I already have. Now I just need the gold double eagle overstruck and I think I may have a complete set.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file