I just ripped a box of....

Comments

• and the rest ...

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you pull one on the last 1/4.

• gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:
    This could be the most embarrassing thing which I should have just sold off to the next card doof sucker on ebay as a cool item. 1981/82 Topps vending box. Glad was bought a decade ago at whatever price.

Someone please school me here :) not a Hockey guru so was expecting early 80's hockey to be the 'find a gretzky of some sort every other pack' thing with this vending box. Is there a lame north/south/east/west production of this where no Waynes are in 3/4ths of it ? Zero Gretzky so far and a good way in.

Should this box have been pawned off to the next Fritsch Vault/BBCE unopened collector vs opening ? ugh icky gross so far and embarrassing.

Yes, there should be 2 different Gretzky cards in there, consisting of the base plus the team leaders. It looks like you got a "West" box. That year, Topps was distributed with the first half of the set double-printed, and the second half of the set single printed with either a West or East designation below the card number and a focus on whichever corresponding Conference as well as related retail distribution geographical area went with it. Gretzky is in the first half so would be in either West or East boxes, with twice as much chance of pulling some compared with cards in the second half of the set. The double printed RC's to watch for are Kurri and Stastny (Stastny also has a team leaders card). In the West half, look for Denis Savard, Dino Ciccarelli and Larry Murphy. Don Beaupre can be a good one too if you can land a 9 or 10 on it.

• thanks :) still hope then for it to turnaround.. Haven't touched it since the last pic. thanks for the schooling on this one.

• Welp... :) various below with a shot of the negatoid OC/other contents :)

nahhh. won't ever open vending again. Wut ya'll think on vending from the 70s-90s ? It is NOT worth is. Those owning it should dump it to the next sucker.. for the.. uhh. nostalgic value of owning old school vending. :)

@Ridethelightning said:
    Welp... :) various below with a shot of the negatoid OC/other contents :)

That Dino in the middle looks pretty good from the photo. From up close in hand, does it have a chance at a 10?

BTW, always worth reviewing the pop report on the commons when opening a box like this. Check out #90 from the East boxes in the completed sales of 10's; who'd have thought?

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/hockey-cards/1981-topps/49890#g=10

• For a 10, possible, but it would be decided by the evil lords of the underworld :) Still gotta run through the pop report on the little stack of possible commons.

edited January 6, 2023 7:43AM

@Ridethelightning said:
    Welp... :) various below with a shot of the negatoid OC/other contents :)

From the distance of the photos, the first of the 2 Nedomansky cards looks like it might be a good one too. He's an under-the-radar HHOF member with a low pop. A 10 on that one might potentially be a decent hit.

Looking at the pop report, there are several cards in the set with pop zero for a Gem Mint 10 grade, as well as plenty with a pop of 1, 2 or 3. Worth the time to take a closer study. Good luck!

• thanks for the support !! yep, weekend review coming up :)

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx for taking the time to post all your rips.

Very entertaining.

Mike
  • That 1981 Topps hockey vending box did end up being pretty cool, so I take back my hate for vending :) It was a mixed east/west box which was fun. Any of the cards could be in it. A couple example of same numbered east/west -

...........................a box of 1992-93 Fleer Ultra Series 2 Basketball .. (by way of an Archaninator purchase)

The massive rookies - of which just a few panned out. One in a big way.

The Slam Dunk insert set:

Other inserts:

Was seeking the SHAQ Rejector ! :)

• ....2022 Topps Chrome Formula 1 Box..

Formula 1:

Formula 2:

• Snagged this 1990 Topps football wax box at the local shop for $20. Got a great haul of cards from it. Looks like some good 10’s in there.

• nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I like the Topps 1990 Football. So much that I have like 10 boxes of it. Rough set to find value but great attractive cards and HOF players.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com

1990 FB are fun; are yours disclaimer back or no disclaimer version?

• @miwlvrn said:
    1990 FB are fun; are yours disclaimer back or no disclaimer version?

Disclaimer back version.

• .....2022 Donruss OPTIC UFC (with a 1/10 Brock)

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Great thread. Keep ripping!

• RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2023 6:42AM

.....2022-23 Upper Deck Hockey Series One TIN.

No big stars/hits that I can tell.

edited March 7, 2023 4:14PM

......a 'pack' of 2022 Topps Black and White Baseball. friggin beautiful cards !

dog hairs on Cronenworth.. not pubescence.. no don't get excited Dutydude.

Canseco GOD !

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice J-Rod….cool cards.

edited March 20, 2023 6:52AM

..... a box of 2022 Panini Father's Day (half of it so far). Packs have two cards, 200 packs to the box.

various inserts -

/199s

/99 down to /10

edited March 24, 2023 11:13AM

... other half of the 2022 Panini Father's Day box...

@Ridethelightning said:
    ... other half of the 2022 Panini Father's Day box...

Timed well with your post, Ricardo Pepi had a nice productive night on the pitch yesterday (although it was against an extremely outmatched lesser opponent). Will be interesting to see if he can manage to develop into the starting #9 position for USMNT over the next year or two.

edited March 29, 2023 3:40PM

...a box of Leaf Pop Century Concert Ticket

.. and I get a Beach Boy

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

The multi sport feature of those Father’s Day cards is very cool. And those golds are sharp looking cards!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • ..........1989 Fleer Basketball Box..

All i can say is.. 'Welp' (with a notation the friggin cards gawds better be better in the 2nd half of the box :) WOOT ! )

First Pack. I see perfect centering.

Half way in. I continue to see perfect centering. It's like a gawd box. Agree ?

If the 2nd half is the same as the first, I did indeed open the greatest centered card box, like ever.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Yowza!!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
    edited April 23, 2023 2:05PM

The rest of the box was the exact same. The entire box was horribly off center. Should have sold it :) Opening this was a horrible experience. heh

The Jordans:

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

That panini fathers day concept is a super cool idea with the multisport randomness. Ouch on that 89 fleer box.

• ..... an 8 pack box of 2000 Pacific football. No Brady. No auto .

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:
    The rest of the box was the exact same. The entire box was horribly off center. Should have sold it :) Opening this was a horrible experience. heh

The Jordans:

This is how I remember opening packs back when they first came out.
    I could not get a centered sticker if my life depended on it.
    Hoops was so much better, and more fun to collect.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ridethelightning said:
    ..... an 8 pack box of 2000 Pacific football. No Brady. No auto .

How many cards in the set?

.......a 1989-90 Fleer Basketball box, attempt two.

Welp, got another one from the steadily dwindling closet of stuff. Could probably sell for 600, but .. wtf. Rippin.

It's funny, once this BBCE wrapper is off, lid lifted, and first pack opened, the movie The Jerk again proves it's worthiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDXN7T3-Jrg

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers for better centering.

I saw I went to this great show

Metallica / Van Halen / Dokken / The Scorpions / Kingdome Come Monsters of Rock Tour

Jun 10, 1988 RFK Stadium Washington, D.C., United States

Master of Puppets was mesmerizing, people starting lighting trash on fire and throwing it in the air.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

Metallica / Van Halen / Dokken / The Scorpions / Kingdome Come Monsters of Rock Tour

Master of Puppets was mesmerizing, people starting lighting trash on fire and throwing it in the air.

Haha! My daughter stole the shirt I purchased at that exact same show back in the day!

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

Was at that show too, but in Memphis. So much fun and so much heat!

No one would ever believe there was a time when Metallica opened for Dokken!

@PastaBoy said:

@Cakes said:

Haha! My daughter stole the shirt I purchased at that exact same show back in the day!

I had the boot leg version, I think it had a godzilla on it. It starting falling apart after a couple of months.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
    edited May 22, 2023 9:18AM

@BBBrkrr said:

@Cakes said:

Was at that show too, but in Memphis. So much fun and so much heat!

No one would ever believe there was a time when Metallica opened for Dokken!

Oh my that must have been a hot one.

Rokken with Dokken!

Did anyone get to go to the US Festival in 1983?

• gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck!

I opened with my son boxes around 1993; picked them up at a mall show - the 90F was 5 bucks per.

I still have 2 boxes; never would've guessed they would be worth this kind of dough - thought of it as junk wax.

Mike
    edited May 29, 2023 5:49AM

ohhh.. the 1983 US Festival.... two things.. TRIUMPH !!! and iirc Van Halen was the very first band in history to be paid 1.5 Million Dollars for a gig.

Monsters of Rock Tours: don't get me started. FantastoMetal stuff. Metallica.. with Cliff.

Finally got around to rip the 2nd 1989 Fleer BBCE FASC box, but this one from 08/20. The suckage looks to be possibly the same.

First pack, the sticker looks a bit more centered than the first box, but still off.

edited May 29, 2023 5:47AM

for later.

Satanically Evil :)

One Jordan sticker:

Did get the three Jordans, all in the bottom 4 packs. 3 of 4 bottom box packs had these.

At least I got two Terry Teagles

The sticker sorting. Note: some on back and some on top of the pack :)

Most every pack did the split top/bottom switch thing. Like A Terry Teagle, then a Willie McGee (from above).

The box made absolute zero sorting sense. uhhh.

....2000 Pacific Football 8 Pack box. The box was missing someone so am going to return it. heh

edited June 21, 2023 5:43AM

....... a box of 1981 Topps Baseball Cello FASC BBCE. It's weird. It's the Topps box top, the cool Topps box top. the red white and blue, the wonder of what's in it.. possible Gem Mints !!! :) that is addicting.

But no. This is going to suck and suck bad. Am sure all my friends here though will Wish me luck. heh Admit it friends :)