Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some quick iPhone HD 100mm lens test pics

Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been experimenting more and more with using my iPhone 10 for macro photography, vs dragging out all my camera gear.

Yesterday I bought a clip on $29 lens to play with. Pretty fun! Still working on lighting issues, but here are few test pics, using only natural light.

This lens securely attaches to my phone without having to remove the phone case, which is nice. Seems very sturdy. You do need to get around four inches away from your subject matter to attain maximum focus. Overall, pretty good value for $29.

Now back to experimenting!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Comments

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive!

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

They’re definitely better than what I take with my SE (basically an 11) and no additional lens.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty good. Usually those clip-on macro lenses produce distortion towards the periphery but I don’t see that in the pictures above

Mr_Spud

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive.... I like those picture... Looks like the obverse on the SLQ could use a tad more focus... but just barely. Look at that, ME critiquing a photo... :D Well, I know I could not do better, but I could not paint great art either, but I can still comment. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2022 7:19AM

Wow... I could buy every coin posted based on those pics without any surprises when they arrive :o

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. I just ordered one on Amazon.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

I can't wait to see the results when you can gather more light, natural or artificial. Will that lens work with android?

• Options

@MapsOnFire - Yes, check the specs, but I believe it does work with Androids. The way it attaches to the phone is adjustable, so I think it would work with any smart phone.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are you holding the phone still? Do you have a copy stand of sorts?

• Options

These pics were handheld. I’ll rig something up so I can use the timer for my next test.

Dave

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for posting this

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

I just got mine and started playing with it. I’m able to use a tripod and focus for a slab shot but for zoom in shots the camera won’t focus because it’s too far away and I have to hold the camera closer and the pictures aren’t sharp.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with those @Dave99B! Very nice! 👍🏻 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    I just got mine and started playing with it. I’m able to use a tripod and focus for a slab shot but for zoom in shots the camera won’t focus because it’s too far away and I have to hold the camera closer and the pictures aren’t sharp.

set the camera on a stack of books or something with the lens hanging over the edge. if your phone/holder has a finger ring/plunger or whatever on the back, set the phone on a sock/dishtowel or if the phone holder(protector) comes off easy, just pop it off. i do that sometimes as well as mine comes off pretty easy.

for everyone reading, remember to have a microfiber cloth or the like to keep your optics sharp! (not doing that is what messed up val kilmer in real genius ;) )

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

iphone tripod?

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice photos!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

@derryb said:
    iphone tripod?

This is my iPhone “tripod”

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

for everyone reading, remember to have a microfiber cloth or the like to keep your optics sharp! (not doing that is what messed up val kilmer in real genius ;) )

This is the first thing I've read on this board that I vehemently disagree with! Kent sabotaged the lens by putting an oil smudge on it! Yes, Val should have double checked but it wasn't his fault!!!!!

:D:D:D

PS - I LOVE that movie, awesome reference!

• Options

@skier07 - Great shots! I haven’t had much luck using artificial lights yet. Still experimenting a bit. I won’t give up.

Dave

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    iphone tripod?

did you see the thread(s) for the iphone copy stands or tri-pods? c'mon man this is 2022, we have EVERYTHING!

you should see some of the conversion connectors i've seen. MIND BLOWING!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHOA! That’s the gadget I can really use! Thank you for sharing 🤗
    I am very impressed with all the pix

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    WHOA! That’s the gadget I can really use! Thank you for sharing 🤗
    I am very impressed with all the pix

With and without the lens using an iPhone. The picture with the lens more accurately portrays the coin.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2022 9:08AM

Just ordered one! I’ll be an instant pro 🤗 watch out @crazyhounddog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file