Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

POST YOUR HERITAGE/STACKS CSNA WINS !

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 7, 2022 8:05AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

:) Heritage about to continue this morning !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

So there was this one piece I was watching.
    I'd taken the extraordinary step of actually "tracking" this one, something I haven't done in about a year for...personal reasons.

A piece in the same grade had sold three years back for less than $1K. But while the host was the same, the sold piece didn't have the attribute which made the watched coin so interesting.

I had toyed with the idea of having a proxy bid on this piece for me, at a bid in the $1500 range. For a couple of weeks it had been considerably lower.

But ultimately I decided to not bid. And it closed yesterday. At $5280 with the juice. :*

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    So there was this one piece I was watching.
    I'd taken the extraordinary step of actually "tracking" this one, something I haven't done in about a year for...personal reasons.

A piece in the same grade had sold three years back for less than $1K. But while the host was the same, the sold piece didn't have the attribute which made the watched coin so interesting.

I had toyed with the idea of having a proxy bid on this piece for me, at a bid in the $1500 range. For a couple of weeks it had been considerably lower.

But ultimately I decided to not bid. And it closed yesterday. At $5280 with the juice. :*

WOWEE !

I did not bid on this but always thought the gem specimans of this date were undervalued.

da

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

WOWEE !

Right? I found a parallel in Jamie Reed's famous 1977 God Save the Queen. What's old is new again, again.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    I did not bid on this but always thought the gem specimans of this date were undervalued.

da

I came close to bidding on it myself.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew straight away that this piece was beyond my ability to purchase but I enjoyed tracking it anyway.

It experienced some serious price appreciation from it's previous auction appearance.

I don't believe that appreciation in price was all due to the cross over and added plus for the grade.
    Seems to me that buyers in this current market are hotly seeking the very best of the best right now. Any thoughts?

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnnyCache said:
    I knew straight away that this piece was beyond my ability to purchase but I enjoyed tracking it anyway.

It experienced some serious price appreciation from it's previous auction appearance.

I don't believe that appreciation in price was all due to the cross over and added plus for the grade.
    Seems to me that buyers in this current market are hotly seeking the very best of the best right now. Any thoughts?

I was following this as well. I thought the price was beyond crazy, but then again, I did not view the coin in person.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2022 2:00PM

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

I was following this as well. I thought the price was beyond crazy, but then again, I did not view the coin in person.

I owned it in my pillar set for years as a 66, sold it a year plus ago.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

Yes, I knew it was in your set, I hasn't sure if you had sent it in for the plus or if you had sold it off and the new owner did. It's a lovely coin for sure but that is a steep price.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Look at those future numismatists!

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Priceless!!

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

edited May 7, 2022 5:33PM

@harasha said:
    Like Geronimo Gil's medals in general and I was able to upgrade the one with the royal family. The private issue, with the portrait of the queen, was a new one for me.

Lovely medal. I have that one in gilt bronze. Normally I don't buy the gilt ones because they don't age well, but I thought this one had a really mellow patina and no major problems. Not to mention a beautiful design.

edited May 7, 2022 9:07PM

@MrEureka said:
    I bought this in 2015 at the Rudman sale. Sold it for a small profit this January because I was absolutely positively going to buy the far superior Pat Johnson coin at the S-B NYINC auction. But I got completely blown out of the water on the PJ coin, so was happy to have a chance to buy this one back this week. Fortunately, I was able to re-purchase it for $300 less than I got for it in January, so all is good!

I think someone else mentioned this on this forum in the last week. Never, ever, sell your dup before you buy your replacement coin!

But that begs the question. Why a Mo 4E? It doesn’t seem to fit your collection.

Is it because of Phil’s long, curly locks? ;)

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff! I was outbid on everything. However, not a terrible idea to take a breather given significant purchases since the beginning of the year.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@MrEureka said:
    I bought this in 2015 at the Rudman sale. Sold it for a small profit this January because I was absolutely positively going to buy the far superior Pat Johnson coin at the S-B NYINC auction. But I got completely blown out of the water on the PJ coin, so was happy to have a chance to buy this one back this week. Fortunately, I was able to re-purchase it for $300 less than I got for it in January, so all is good!

I think someone else mentioned this on this forum in the last week. Never, ever, sell your dup before you buy your replacement coin!

But that begs the question. Why a Mo 4E? It doesn’t seem to fit your collection.

Is it because of Phil’s long, curly locks? ;)

I have sold many coins out of my collection over the years before buying the upgrade. Most often because I was willing to gamble that I'd find a better one, and/or because I thought I had a better use for the money. I regret very few of those decisions, but do admit there are a few that were probably mistakes.

As for this particular coin, it's part of a ridiculously ambitious and completely impossible set of all Spanish and Spanish colonial portrait 1/2 escudos through 4 escudos. (I'm less than 5% complete at this point.) So selling a 1735 Mexico 4 escudos now is not likely to ever leave me in position where that's one of the few missing items in the set, or where I'll ever truly miss it at all. On the other hand, if I had bought the Pat Johnson coin, it would probably remain with me forever, or at least until I sold the collection.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good points Sir. The other end of the spectrum is to have multiple sometimes costly doubles (and triples!) just laying around.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

LOT 56120
    KOREA. Brass 20 Won Pattern, Year 4 (1900). Osaka Mint.

sold for $156,000 .... must be a record for a brasscoin

• ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Lovely coins!
    I was 0 for 14… sighhh.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    LOT 56120

Apparently a helluva coin, but how in the world did you ever come to consider buying it???

BTW, one of Newman's brass continental dollars brought 440K.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:

@bidask said:
    LOT 56120

Apparently a helluva coin, but how in the world did you ever come to consider buying it???

I dd not even consider buying it. Just question a 1900 brass pattern coin worth that kind of money ?!

edited May 9, 2022 4:36PM

@bidask said:

@MrEureka said:

@bidask said:
    LOT 56120

I dd not even consider buying it. Just question a 1900 brass pattern coin worth that kind of money ?!

To me, neither the fact that it’s brass, nor that it’s a pattern, nor that it’s from 1900 would preclude the $156k price.

What I think that would preclude it is the fact that it’s not a crown and that it’s AU Details.

Yet, there is the price.

I purchased at what I considered a reasonable price .

I could not find a pic in the PCGS pops 😊

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

If the top pop one reales went for that much what would top pop pillar two reales go for ?

Also what is the top pop 2 reales pillar in NGC and PCGS census ?

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

If the top pop one reales went for that much what would top pop pillar two reales go for ?

Well @Boosibri's former 2R (which may or may not be a pop top, but it probably is) sold in January for $8700.
    So with that knowledge, I guess the 1R price shouldn't be considered that crazy.

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Well @Boosibri's former 2R (which may or may not be a pop top, but it probably is) sold in January for $8700.
    So with that knowledge, I guess the 1R price shouldn't be considered that crazy.

What was the date and grade of the 2 reales pillar that sold in January ?
    Thank you 😊

edited May 13, 2022 7:34PM

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Thank you 😊

It was 1761-Mo in PCGS MS65. Tied for finest at PCGS and NGC. While there is technically a MS65+ at PCGS, if you have a look at the photo, I would hardly call it comparable to the 1761. And there is also a MS66, but it is a bust 2R not a Pillar 2R.

1761-Mo 2R PCGS MS65

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Thank you 😊

It was 1761-Mo in PCGS MS65. Tied for finest at PCGS and NGC. While there is technically a MS65+ at PCGS, if you have a look at the photo, I would hardly call it comparable to the 1761. And there is also a MS66, but it is a bust 2R not a Pillar 2R.

1761-Mo 2R PCGS MS65

Have anyone on these boards ever seen this one in hand ?
    I cannot find any auction records .

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/34515221_105417067_450.jpg

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@pruebas said:

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@JohnnyCache said:

Thank you 😊

1761-Mo 2R PCGS MS65

Have anyone on these boards ever seen this one in hand ?
    I cannot find any auction records .

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/34515221_105417067_450.jpg

Nope. But IMHO, a 65+ is a gift for that coin. Maybe it is just a bad photo as I haven't seen it in hand.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Fantastic medals @harasha and @pruebas

One pick up for me:

Suppose to replace this nice AU58 example already in the collection, but might hold on to both. No such thing as too many attractive coins, right? Plus obviously a different die pair :smiley:

Love it!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny, my old 65 started as a P63 when I bought it in 2016. I upgraded from 63 to 63+ to 64 to 64+ and then the new owner got a 65. The only grades in looked out of place in were the original 63’s. Which is suppose goes to show how subjective grading is and how you can maximize the value of world coins in particular when the grading is even more subjective than US coins.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

Love it!

Thanks man!