Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which card and why?

Which card and why?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

The Clemente is just a better looking card, with a nice portrait image versus one of the weird action photos that is a quirk of the 1973 Topps set. Not to mention, the Clemente card is 10 years older, so "more vintage", and in my experience, just not a card that I come across all that often, in any condition.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭
    '73 Topps Aaron PSA 9

Appreciate the 73 card design a lot more and also appreciate the photo so much more with Aaron and the 73. I think its an excellent shot. Really not a fan of the shots where it looks close to a yearbook photo. Like here is the guy and his head. I dont need that. He plays baseball. Show me something exciting other than him standing there from the chest up. Also might be wrong about this but the card stock for the Fleer looks like it would be easier to maintain in nice condition than 70s Topps.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

1963 Fleer is an underrated set. I would take the decade older card for sure.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

Old Hank taking pop flys isn’t an aesthetically pleasing card IMO. So Clemente for me.

• Options
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

It’s a tie. Guess you have to find a way to buy both!

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '73 Topps Aaron PSA 9

In action cards trump head shots.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '73 Topps Aaron PSA 9

The 73 is actually a card of Hank looking up and thanking God for helping him make it through his entire career and about to become the all time home run king.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '73 Topps Aaron PSA 9

I like the Aaron. I've always liked this card. People forget that Aaron was also a great fielder.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '73 Topps Aaron PSA 9

Besides the fact that I have way more nostalgia for the Aaron, Topps regular issue trumps one off Fleer issue for me, and I find the ‘73 card more visually appealing.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    I like the Aaron. I've always liked this card. People forget that Aaron was also a great fielder.

Best RF of his day not named Clemente. Certainly top ten of all time, maybe top 5.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2022 6:20AM
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

The 63 Fleer Clemente all day. Way earlier in his career than the 73 Aaron and the Aaron picture is blurry at best.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

The Aaron isn't so bad, but the '73 Mays is just about the saddest of all time.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2022 6:47AM
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

@daltex ... I kinda like the Mays for its original photo ~ His last season in a Mets uniform is a must own for the Mays collector as poor a season as it was ~ the back of that card sums up his entire career......

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Hank. But I would try and look for another copy though.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

Looks like it's tied again with my vote for Clemente. A classic portrait shot from an underrated set.

Daniel
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing how fast Willie fell off the last 3-4 years of his career in terms of average and HR’s where Aaron kept going strong. Same thing happened to Mantle. Both Hank and Willie were amazing players.

• Options

@KendallCat said:
    Amazing how fast Willie fell off the last 3-4 years of his career in terms of average and HR’s where Aaron kept going strong. Same thing happened to Mantle. Both Hank and Willie were amazing players.

A lot of players hit a wall at some point and just can't do it anymore. It happens at all ages and with or without injury. Players hang on for various lengths of time, too. With the kind of money on offer today, it is hard to blame a player for stretching for just one more season. Aaron wasn't very good his last year in Atlanta and downright bad when he went back to Milwaukee. Andruw Jones and Ken Griffey were both effectively finished at 30. Jones played too many more years, and Griffey played ten more bad ones. Then there are the likes of Sandy Koufax, David Ortiz, and Barry Bonds who were actually still pretty good at the very end. Koufax was really good, but probably couldn't have thrown another ML pitch.

• Options
    '63 Fleer Clemente PSA 9

@KendallCat said:

Part of that was the Braves moving into Atlanta Fulton County Stadium (the launching pad) while the Giants were in Candlestick. Aaron played in Fulton County from 1966-1974 and hit 190 HRs at home and 145 HRs on the road during that time.

Not knocking Aaron as his achievements are actually underrated. However, if you give Mays his military years he surely beat Ruth, if you gave him Fulton County he might have. If you give him both think he gets to 750.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @daltex ... I kinda like the Mays for its original photo ~ His last season in a Mets uniform is a must own for the Mays collector as poor a season as it was ~ the back of that card sums up his entire career......

mays should have quit after 71 season.