Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess a grade?

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone care to try and guess the grade of this 21 P?
I always felt coins graded back around the time of the OGHs were more scrutinized than those same coins graded today - thoughts?
Pictures of same coin under few different angles / lights...

Comments

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-65

Coin Photographer.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    65+

It's in an old holder before they used the + designation so that guess is not possible.
    I'll guess MS64 based on the poor quality pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

@1630Boston said:
    65+

It's in an old holder before they used the + designation so that guess is not possible.

66 then :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

edited May 4, 2022 1:46PM

@PerryHall said:

Agree with the pics @PerryHall

• JW77JW77 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 for sure

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the pics @PerryHall

I can try to take a few more but I’m still at the low end of the iPhone spectrum (iPhone 7, I think) and my camera is only so good. I can try to take a better photo.

Is this better?

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting.

You left enough of the grade, cert number, and barcode exposed to figure it out.

(I cheated). Had I not cheated, I would have been wrong. :)

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+ very nice 21.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, don't.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on all the comments - and thanks SO much!

I may submit for a cac sticker, (although they are not accepting new members at the moment). Also I hate to go for reconsideration because I love the old holder (I know, I know! Not supposed to be about the holder - whatever!) so I guess I have to make a decision...
    oh - and it is a VAM 1G - my second one. The other is a 64 and has more chatter than this one so I was really surprised with this grade!!

edited May 4, 2022 4:13PM

Anyway it’s a beautiful coin no matter the grade and I got it for a good price on GC so if the seller sees this - thank you I love the coin!
    Will keep - the 21 P is my all time favorite 20th century coin! Anyone that reads my posts know I love this coin!
    Best to all - thanks for playing along!

edited May 4, 2022 4:16PM

FYI here is my other vam 1G - I think the other one graded MS62 is actually a bit nicer - or at least as nice - as this one (in hand). Oh well!
    Grading is subjective!

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like the 62 as much as some of the other commenters do or close to as much as the 64. It looks processed.

@Che_Grapes
    Thanks for the post :)

• al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

I really like it, my guess would have been 64
    I have not really looked at enough 21 Peace dollars but to me it a great looking example
    Al

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the game... but would have guessed 63.... Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin presents well for a 62. Looks like you made a good choice on it.
    Here's an NGC 62 that I have, I like the color on this one a lot. Bought it back when these were "cheap"

Collector, occasional seller

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can grade peace dollars well enough from photos……. but not the 21. They’re different. The luster is qualitatively different and I’ve got to see them in-hand to sort it out. Maybe it’s just me.

I would have said 64.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file