Home U.S. Coin Forum

CBH 1815/2 what is on Liberty’s neck?

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what caused these scratch like marks?

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2022 8:45AM

extreme die polishing/grinding to remove the extreme clashing?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could it be a poor attempt at die repair file lines. They certainly go in many directions. Me no no. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @LanceNewmanOCC. They were trying to efface the clash marks and apparently just gave up.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's also intriguing is that secret bid of $900 being outbid!

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Could it be a poor attempt at die repair file lines. They certainly go in many directions. Me no no. Peace Roy

It’s mint made.

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    What's also intriguing is that secret bid of $900 being outbid!

Yup, that was me…going all in! Lmao

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Searching pic's there are others, as expected with 1 obv die per Overton, but showing differing degrees on the marks possibly due to striking wearing away the repair. Since this is near the bottom of the die could it be due to repair of some other damage to the die.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_KWVk0XeB9o - Ruby Starr (from 'Go Jim Dandy') Piece Of My Heart
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=D0FPxuQv2ns - Ruby Starr (from 'Go Jim Dandy') Maybe I'm Amazed

RLJ 1958 - 2023

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to recall how common ear bars are on the 15's...?
    Would be easy enough to search through alot of pics, but I don't seem to remember that as a super common clash.
    It's as others have said, looks like a heavy clash that then saw heavy lapping to remove.
    I'll bet they struck some quantity of coins just like this one, then did some more polishing and got the ear bars ground out too...
    Of that's the case, and there is a rather short run of 15's with ear bars, that would make this a pretty cool piece!

Thanks for the post, now I know what I'll be looking for on my next 15!

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking at a bunch of these I'm still not sure.. the ear bars are frequent enough that it's certainly not unusual.
    Interestingly, there seem to be even heavier clashes that probably happened after this and then 'a' states that have almost all of the heavy clashing removed or worn away..
    The life of a bust half 😄

One with the neck marks, no earbars, but new scroll and doubled wing clashes

One with neck marks and earbars but no other heavy clashes

And finally a later 101a die state with a smooth neck no bars and the scroll and wing clashes are lighter. Very bold Reverse clashing

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing the lives of a die and it’s subsequent coins….

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file