Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Half Sovereigns Anybody? Here is an 1845

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this raw many years ago as it is a rare date and I suppose was lucky to get it. Some dummy slightly abused it & to be fair looks a bit better in hand, especially the reverse. The true color is not reflected in my hand-held iPhone photos:

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Nice grab. A harder one to find and more costly. Curious - what grade did NGC give it?

• Options

Well it graded 58 and in hand as you would understand as I was tempted to submit to hosts but these pictures dissuade me which makes the obverse look pitted like the moon and the actual original mint lustre does not show.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to have some die clash. I kinda like this portrait of Victoria the most.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried to acquire a gold coin for as many British kings and queens as possible. The sovereigns and guieneas are the most desirable in my opinion, but can be pricey because they have a strong following. The fractional pieces are often less expensive and can be purchased in higher grades.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Yes, that is the case. This one probably is not too much less expensive though as it is after the 1862 the key to the series (and equally hard to obtain even at this level) and is a "top pop" at both services as for some reason the coin just wasn't saved and probably fewer made than generally realized. I was fortunate to get this coin.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half sovereigns are much harder to complete a monarch type set with than full sovereigns I've found. These little guys don't show up too often.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Very nice coin and as you mentioned a tough date to find. I just picked up a proof 1989 and love the design. All of the old sovs and half sovs make me think of the hands these might have passed through. Would love to get an early hammered sovereign but I’d have to get a home equity loan to pay for it…….