Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3/4 Union? How big would that have been?

RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

Check out this letter from Linderman to Pollock re: a possible $73 gold piece.

Here are the Half Unions, courtesy of the NNC at the SI.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be any size or diameter with the weight being set by adjusting the thickness of the planchet.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

That letter is so damn cool!

• Options

@alpha33 said:
    $75.00 of course., 1/2 of a $50 half union Union would be $25.00 so a 3/4 Union would be $75.00, and I guess one union would be $100.00

When he asked about "how big" I thought he was talking about physical size rather than face value.

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@alpha33 said:
    $75.00 of course., 1/2 of a $50 half union Union would be $25.00 so a 3/4 Union would be $75.00, and I guess one union would be $100.00

When he asked about "how big" I thought he was talking about physical size rather than face value.

It was kind of a rhetorical question. Knowing how monstrous the Half Unions are, that would have been another [nearly] 50% in bulk.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

That says $73, which makes no sense.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 12:48PM

That’s the super fun size. Edit, but I don’t see the logic in making it $73 instead of $75.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    That’s the super fun size. Edit, but I don’t see the logic in making it $73 instead of $75.

I noticed that and assumed it was a typo. This coin would still be smaller than the 5 ounce silver America The Beautiful pucks.

• Options

It was $73. Somebody proposed it as an international coin whereby $73 US was almost precisely 15 Sovereigns. Here is the correspondence courtesy of Brother Roger.

Interesting how the proposed "gold disk" design sounds something like the Saudi "gold disks" of the 1940's

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Did the three pictures of the correspondence come through for anybody?

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Did the three pictures of the correspondence come through for anybody?

Not for me.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2022 2:11PM

Opened them up and re-saved them in a different format. Here is the first letter, in two halves:

• Options

Second and third letters:

• Options

As for size, think of three British Five Pound gold coins stacked together.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... I thought "$73 is a weird figure.)... But the above explanation makes sense. Love those old letters/penmanship. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file