Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The new loophole to sell counterfeits

Just call it a hobo nickel, but charge a premium since its a "Carson City"... freaking disgusting... they even have a whole store full of them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294955524854?hash=item44acb822f6:g:epsAAOSwo9pia1AS

https://www.ebay.com/str/octopus6?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2563

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

A premium? It's $12 and clearly not representing or trying to represent a real coin. What am I missing? I don't see an issue.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

The description shows it is silver plated brass. Not really a biggie to me at that price!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    The description shows it is silver plated brass. Not really a biggie to me at that price!

The description also says "replica". At $11, I doubt that anyone will think it's a real 1891-CC Morgan dollar hobo nickel.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it does seem like a bit of a loophole and i can't say i'm a fan of them going the whole way to say 1891-cc morgan in the title but omit "replica." (i'm pretty sure the supreme court/secret service would say these are a bit grey but too close to the line) put copy/replica, whatever the law requires when imitating our coinage and all is well. (outside of ebay)

it is using the design of a morgan nearly to a T to sell the item(s) and i think after all the choas i see counterfeits and/or replicas/knockoffs whatever someone wants to call the variations, i'd probably have to nerf this one and ones like it.

imo, it is a slippery slope and it is not rare that someone selling this type of stuff will have access to more deceptive or just even flat-out fakes and COULD be selling that stuff on another account. it isn't really the amount of money as obviously it isn't much but more just the principal.

just my opinion and i say this as calmly as though i say anything else, though wording may make it seem otherwise at times, which it is not.

i would settle for these being ok if they said copy but i think that would still make it against ebay's policy. they were smart and took the hard line on copies/replicas because anyone dealing with this crap knows, it is just a matter of time before one will regret the decision.

people can get marijuana all across the united states (with various hurdles) and STILL they go every which way around the laws to grow it, smoke it and sell it and i literally NEVER thought they'd let it be legal (even at the state level) considering the many billions of dollars (probably over a trill) and the many hundreds of thousands or millions of people spending years/decades in prison for possessing/growing/selling/consuming.

just making the point, you give people and inch....

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose suggesting that people research the items they are considering buying is out of the question, then? eBay's an online retailing site, is it not? If one can access eBay, one can also access google (or duckduckgo or whatever search engine one prefers) can one not? Is taking responsibility for one's choices not a thing anymore?

Asking for a friend...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was not deceptive, prospective buyers just need to read the description. Experienced collectors would know the reverse was not authentic. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't worry, no one is going to be fooled by this. You should be free to collect what you like. That being said. I don't like.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2022 6:07AM

Jeez, another clickbait topic/link that went nowhere. What's next, equating a photo of a buffalo on flat ground standing over a letter "S" and calling that a counterfeit 1913-S type 2?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file