Home Precious Metals
Options

Ya just gotta luv those Regional flat rate boxes

derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I call them my "bullion boxes." Sure, I coulda crammed the bullion in a small flat rate box for $8.01 and run the risk of a postal employee being surprised by the weight in such a small box and dropping it on the floor and bustin' it open. The Regional "A" flat rate box cost only 11.96 for the trip from FL to AZ and for a few extra bucks and offers more room for packing material. Free Regional A and B (the larger version) boxes are available only at the USPS website store. Check out their sizes and weight limits there.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with the regional boxes is they are limited to 15 pounds, while flat rate boxes are 70 pounds.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 6:29AM

Regional "A" is a cheaper alternative to medium and large flat rate when you are under 15 lbs. Regional "B" flat rate cost a little more than "A" and covers up to 20 lbs.

Regional flat rate is great when small flat rate is too small and medium/large are too big. Regional offers a great and cheaper choice between small flat rate and medium flat rate.

Or, just pay more to use a medium or large box when a cheaper regional would have done the job.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb ... Good point... The larger box/weight would not generate as much attention... Worth the couple of bucks extra for 'deceptive insurance' when shipping bullion. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

i put a small flat rate inside a regional box A sometimes its bombproof