Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

J.J .Teaparty Discount

mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got an email from J.J. Teaparty for a "guaranteed discount" off the listed price (they send these from time to time). Before I look through all the inventory and ask them for a bunch of quotes, is there anyone who has a general idea of how much of a discount they tend to offer during these sales?

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know but it sounds a bit desperate to be honest if your phrasing isn’t misleading. Offer a few percent over their purchase price (if you can glean it from the public record) and see what happens.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it seems too good to be true, it likely isn't. That much of a bargain that is... especially in today's market. What I see - in general - is the pre-discount price already has the discount built in, and cushions the already included profit. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I've gotten that same email in the past. Then, when I tried to call them about a coin I wanted, I could not reach them. I got their voice mail during normal hours. I called twice then gave up.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

J.J. Teaparty used to be a longtime coin store in Boston. Some years ago they closed and one/some of the owners continued the business elsewhere without a storefront.

They always were a reputable company, and I assume still are.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never been to their storefront but they're a fixture at the Baltimore show. I've always gotten good material from them at reasonable prices...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing really mysterious here guys. It’s called a ‘sale’, to generate business.

I was offered a 5% discount on the one item I inquired about.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 10:01AM

Buy from these guys, there awesome 👌 >:)

Did that with 2 e mails and a phone call. No return anything from them, fwiw. Have a good weekend all :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    last time i called and sent 2 emails to them for something and goy no response of any kind. om nopt sold that i want to do that agaid and sadly, fwiw & fwiw. i wish them all the best

Sounds like someone needs to proofread their posts. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@johnny9434 said:
    last time i called and sent 2 emails to them for something and goy no response of any kind. om nopt sold that i want to do that agaid and sadly, fwiw & fwiw. i wish them all the best

Sounds like someone needs to proofread their posts. :D

Maybe they couldn't understand the email. 🤔 :D

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten these e-mails for their discounts in the past, but never have taken advantage of any. I have only dealt with them once - last year - when I obtained a low-grade 1904-S Barber Half and was quite satisfied.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had a few positive experiences with them - and have never heard anything negative. Not sure why there is skepticism. Many of the large reputable dealers offer modest discounts or sales from time to time.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're good folks. I am sure, sale or not, they'll give you good prices.

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info everyone! I'll take a closer look at their inventory and see if anything currently in stock fits my collection.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought dozens of coins from them when Liz Coggins was there and never returned one nor had a problem of any kind. After she left I purchased a few coins, but haven't purchased many since. Liz has her own company now.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 1:23PM

I believe they used to be on Bromfield St in Boston, as a child I attended Church a block away from there, below is Bromfield St about a year ago...............not the way that I remember it :#

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:
    I believe they used to be on Bromfield St in Boston, as a child I attended Church a block away from there, below is Bromfield St about a year ago...............not the way that I remember it :#

What's with all the boarded up windows?!

There is/was a good high-end pen store and the Bromfield Bookstore.

What is that banner on the light pole advertising? Looks like coins on it.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston your photo of Bromfield Street is probably what a street in Rome looked like in 410 A.D.

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought several gold pieces at great prices. They were at the Greenville show last year. Very nice people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file