Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Am having a lot of fun at the CSNS

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a bunch of raw coins and added to my 8 reales set 😊

I will show some pictures later

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen that coin before can you give us like myself some info about it?

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    edited April 28, 2022 7:22PM

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    Never seen that coin before can you give us like myself some info about it?

https://www.numismaticnews.net/.amp/world-coins/fight-with-france-strained-spanish-coinage

Siege coinage

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like you are having a blast!! Great coins so far.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff, have seen the 'Sueldos (SOUS)' coins not this one.

From numista info:
    5 Pesetas Tarragona, raised points or 5 Pesetas Tarragona, straight crown

And that 100 Pesos from Don Venustiano Carranza - nice too.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the haul! Doing british copper now? I have some red copper I brought back from my time living in the UK.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2022 2:04PM

I first went to the ancients and world coin section. There I bought several crowns from Mark Teller ...including a fabulous 1910 Portugal Crown PCGS 64. Now you may think it is nothing special but try to find a gem ...you will not. The finest graded are 64's ...a total of 9,,, I believe at both services . I also purchased from a mark 2 gem Morrocan crowns, as well as a gem 1869 2 1/2 gulden Netherlands. ( I love crowns).

While in the area of world coins a young collector I know offered me two cap & rays 8 reales .....one a 1888 cn mm NGC 65 ...really a gem that i am seeking to cross. to PCGS. Also the above 1895 .. a stunner ....
    Also bought a 1874 a dl in p 63 from Mike Dunnigan , top pop.

Then I walked the aisles I saw a stunner PCGS 1897 zs fz pcgs 66 in John Dannreuther's case....he refused to sell the coin as he said " its here to attract buyers..." ...he went on to say he thinks the series is way undervalued. Made me feel good :)

The other crown above is really nice and also a top pop. ....purchased from Beantown Coins.

The copper and others shown above was purchased from Randy Weir a really nice guy and excellent professional dealer....according to him ( because I asked) there are not many red specimans out there....you would think there are since they made millions...but he said otherwise.
    The Mombasa silver coins are really low mintage ....I think something like 10,000.

My surprise purchase was a raw 1797 8 reales from Mexico......it was also a stunner in its originality, color, and lack of wear and i thought it to be AU. It was literally tucked away in a corner of a case ( one of about 10 ) at Larry Briggs table ( i think he once had a grading service.) ...loved that coin. I dropped it off at pcgs to be graded ...will let you all know.

Had a nice dinner with Andy Lustig and Tom from NEN.
    Did some biz with Adam Biagi and Worldwide Numismatics LLC.
    Saw some coin lots from CNG and Heritage for their respective upcoming auctions.

That is about it....