Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Is the Registry going to die?

13»

Comments

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭

I loved the recent survey that was Registry focused!!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • davin72davin72 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

I got it too. Just haven’t done it yet.

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

I think the current pricing models for all TPG are too high.

Grading is more inconsistent than ever with more graders with vintage being held to different standards than before the traing card "boom".

The threshold for a higher grading fee ($499) is too low and it's still not clear to me how this is decided.

As a result, I've been focused in building out ungraded vintage sets & my Vikings team sets.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, the registry is on life support or in a coma.
    I no longer enjoy spending the money to get common items graded (plus the wait) to be involved.
    Other areas of the company are also unresponsive.
    There are some great people working there, unfortunately they aren't running things.
    The fun for me is just not there any longer.
    😢

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • The sad truth is that it's a losing proposition to grade commons from the mid 1950s on. Who in their right mind will go through the hassle and pay grading fees for all these cards that would have to grade 8 to even break even in value? I have hundreds of these that when I look at them I know they would only get a 6 or 7 or 8oc.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 459 ✭✭✭

What makes it hard on the Registry is that the Baseball card shops and Baseball / Sports Card Shows are getting fewer and fewer. The one thing I have noticed is that it looks like sports card auctions are much more common and more often. The hobby needs more shows and shops which will in turn help keep the hobby alive and well.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RTB7 said:
    The sad truth is that it's a losing proposition to grade commons from the mid 1950s on. Who in their right mind will go through the hassle and pay grading fees for all these cards that would have to grade 8 to even break even in value? I have hundreds of these that when I look at them I know they would only get a 6 or 7 or 8oc.

I own a complete 1978 Topps baseball graded set all minimum PSA 9's. 726 PSA slabs
    But I built the lion's share of that almost 20 years ago. It was a different time back then in the early 2000's

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• @mbothner said:
    I've been in the registry for quite a while but the increase in fees has definitely affected being able to build my sets. I mostly collect Pirates cards and non-sport Marvel cards and a few odds and ends. I was able to just take advantage of the $15 non-sports special and send in 4 of my Marvel sets from the 1990's. I sent in over 500 cards. None of the cards were particularly valuable. Anything that comes back less than PSA 9 will be worth less than the grading fee. I do enjoy the registry and have missed the anticipation of getting my grades to build my sets.

Congrats on the big submission. That was a respectable deal for non-sports cards but after looking at some of the cards I was interested in sending in, I just couldn't pull the trigger with the risk. They weren't worth very much raw. Please share your best cards when you get the sub back!

• mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:

@mbothner said:
    I've been in the registry for quite a while but the increase in fees has definitely affected being able to build my sets. I mostly collect Pirates cards and non-sport Marvel cards and a few odds and ends. I was able to just take advantage of the $15 non-sports special and send in 4 of my Marvel sets from the 1990's. I sent in over 500 cards. None of the cards were particularly valuable. Anything that comes back less than PSA 9 will be worth less than the grading fee. I do enjoy the registry and have missed the anticipation of getting my grades to build my sets.

Congrats on the big submission. That was a respectable deal for non-sports cards but after looking at some of the cards I was interested in sending in, I just couldn't pull the trigger with the risk. They weren't worth very much raw. Please share your best cards when you get the sub back!

I sent in complete sets of
    1990 Marvel Universe
    1995 Fleer Ultra Signature parallel
    1995 Marvel Masterpiece Signature parallel
    1996 Marvel Masterpiece

All had been in toploads and soft sleeves since new. I would like to get the rest of my Marvel Masterpiece sets graded but grading costs are a factor. Will wait and see how the grades on what I have already submitted before I decide whether to send in more.
    I was very happy that PSA had all the cards logged in less than a week after receiving.

• BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

The rising costs made me discontinue building graded sets and instead go back to building raw pack fresh sets. At this point, even if the grading costs went down, I no longer have any interest in going to back to graded sets

Brian

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2023 9:51AM

I have been trying to grade my 1980 Duran Chapitas, its been returned twice for no SPEC NO INFO, when its ALREADY BEEN GRADED AND ADDED to the player registry... these things happen more often than not.....
    I dont have a picture of the graded Duran but here is the picture of the Leonard...

They refuse to add this to the Killebrew Master set.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

Why?

@JoeBanzai said:
    For me, the registry is on life support or in a coma.
    I no longer enjoy spending the money to get common items graded (plus the wait) to be involved.
    Other areas of the company are also unresponsive.
    There are some great people working there, unfortunately they aren't running things.
    The fun for me is just not there any longer.
    😢

15 dollars a card wilñ help !!

@lawyer05 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Why?

It's been a long time and I honestly can't remember the exact reason. I think it had something to do with being the only one graded? I don't accept that, but what do I know? I have only been collecting longer than PSA has been in business.
    I also have 3 different 1967 punchouts graded. They wouldn't allow them, saying they were the same card (obvious they were not and then saying they couldn't determine it without documentation in a publication), I got Tom Bartsch from SCD to email them saying they were in fact 3 separate variations, PSA then relented and let me add them and subsequently changed their mind and decided to only allow one of the three into my master set.
    Yes, I have other cards they won't allow in as well. Pointless going into it now.
    I had a lot of fun (and spent a lot of money on grading fees) participating in the registry. It's not really fun when you have the #1 set and get a bunch of cards removed and denied and you end up at #2.
    I have adjusted my collecting mindset. I no longer need a 3PG company to validate my collection.
    I might send in some items in the future, if I have some extra money. It is nice to have my collection holdered, but it's no longer a big deal.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai

I came to a similar realization for different reasons. I started to find that PSA ‘s grading priorities just didn’t match up that well with mine. I am now mostly collecting mixed raw/graded sets. I still buy PSA graded cards when I find them attractive, but I am keeping most of the beautiful commons I have raw because I’m not sure they would be given the grades I think they deserve and I just don’t care that much anymore.