Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Auction of Russian coins

jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 26, 2022 11:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

More or less interest in Russian coins right now? Or the war won't affect numismatic interest?

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I auctioned some on ebay and did ok and there were more watchers and views than i expected. For what i consider junk silver ,early 1900s kopek

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That should be an interesting auction to watch! When the market was hot the big buyers were all from Russia. I'm wondering if the good stuff has reserves related to prices paid in the past.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one Russian coin (somewhere)... Back in the early '80's, a friend was going to Russia for a two week vacation. I asked him to bring me back a coin. He did, but told me he had to smuggle it out... they were told they could not bring any Russian money out of country. He said he hid it in his shoe. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2022 10:15AM

I remember Coinhusker ( Mitch Ernst ) once scored some platinum coins from Russia, at silver prices , in the old days on eBay. If ya see him at Central States, ask him. I gave him a personal "you suck" award.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I remember Coinhusker ( Mitch Ernst ) once scored some platinum coins from Russia, at silver prices , in the old days on eBay. If ya see him at Central States, ask him. 19th cen Russian coins are an amazing and interesting chapter of numismatics

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    I auctioned some on ebay and did ok and there were more watchers and views than i expected. For what i consider junk silver ,early 1900s kopek

A couple of years ago, I was at NYINC and there was a large section of Russian coins in the New York Sale.

I sat in on the sale and it was full of rowdy Russians making lots of noise but not bidding. I thought it was hillarious that they were there to gauge the market but not to participate.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Unloaded a lot of foreign on GC recently, the Russian did far better than anything else, the GB was next best.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a very large silver Catherine the great coin around here somewhere. I'll try to dig it out. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst from your lips to God's ears. I have a raw 'mourning Rouble' coming up in our auction later this month.

https://brunkauctions.com/lot/1725-russia-catherine-i-mourning-rouble-4132584

@jonruns Thank you for starting this thread, I had wondered the same

www.brunkauctions.com