Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Our hobby’s Mount Rushmore

Which four faces from our hobby’s history belong there ? Representing the ones who had the most positive impact on our “nation”.

Comments

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 is too small of a group for that distinction.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

5 would be Gretzky of course

• Options
    edited April 25, 2022 6:59PM

@Willymac said:
    5 would be Gretzky of course

Absolutely. But Jordan is not any more deserving than Gretzky, so it's hard to put a number 5 on it.

Pele is in the top most group too. So call that top 6 in no particular order. But then need to add other names such as Clay (Ali), Howe, Messi, Jim Thorpe, Don Bradman, etc. Opening it up to all sports means there are plenty more than 4 top tier names to consider.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2022 9:55PM

The Mt. Rushmore of the hobby should be iconic cards, and probably 1 per big 4 sport... not players... So you have the 52 mantle (over honus wagner), 86 Jordan, 79 Gretzky, For football you could have Brady, but I don't know that his rookie card (I guess the contender) would really be considered iconic.. Hell, I'd probably say put the 1989 UD Griffey up there and forget football!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    The Mt. Rushmore of the hobby should be iconic cards, and probably 1 per big 4 sport... not players... So you have the 52 mantle (over honus wagner), 86 Jordan, 79 Gretzky, For football you could have Brady, but I don't know that his rookie card (I guess the contender) would really be considered iconic.. Hell, I'd probably say put the 1989 UD Griffey up there and forget football!

I think you're on the right track, but I say Wagner, Mantle, Griffey, and Jordan. Easy to make the case that only the Griffey is a rookie.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me and their cards it's

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about

Sy Berger
    Woody Gelman
    Steve Hart
    Joe Orlando

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

I agree but I might put Joe Namath over Jim Brown.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goldenage

Don't forget Mr Mint + Frisch!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:
    Goldenage

hey balco758,
    you typed that faster than I did; yeah I was thinking Al Rosen & Larry too.
    Then I thought about Kit Young and Bill Henderson.
    :)

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

No wrong answers here. Except Pikachu. That would be a wrong answer.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

If its players important to the hobby, I would say Mantle, Griffey, Jordan and possibly Montana. I remember him being so crucial to football cards really coming to prominence in the late 80s, early 90s

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2022 9:36AM

@balco758 said:
    Goldenage

We all know Mints story about the case where all the 52 Mantles came from.

Well, Woody Gellman did this every year. My good friend from Ocean City NJ who is now 85 years old told me great Gellman stories from the late 60s and 70s when Gellman would rent out a hotel room and call all the east coast dealers when and where to come get what they wanted to buy.

He told me stories of stacks and stacks of Namath, Seaver, and Ryan rookies sitting on a table in that room, along with case upon case in the room and in Gellmans van.

These cases had what 25-50 of each player ? Can’t remember. Anyway, I would sift through 200 to 300 of some gem mint cards from the 60s and 70s at his Ocean City house.

I have great memories of this guy. What a treasure us older (me 57) guys can pass on to the kids growing up. Great stories of yesteryear.

Woody Gellman in my view is #1 on
    the list. 2-4 is up for grabs.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    No wrong answers here. Except Pikachu. That would be a wrong answer. \

In that case, Charizard takes slot 5! And then Adam Bomb!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    How about

Sy Berger
    Woody Gelman
    Steve Hart
    Joe Orlando

This is more what I thought when I saw the title. Hobby pioneers, movers and shakers, not the athletes (cards).

Burdick and Beckett probably have to be given strong consideration for a spot on that Rushmore, but there could be others that were highly influential, but not as well well known both from the card maker side and the card collector side.

I'd rather see the latter 2 dropped off for a more historical viewpoint. They seem more business driven names than hobby/collecting names.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options

@mrmopar said:
    They seem more business driven names than hobby/collecting names.

Spence had put together some impressive collections over the years.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

if we are talking about hobby pioneers, I agree with Jefferson Burdick and James Beckett. Burdick should be the first name on the list.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait .. it's not Bonds, Clemens, Mcgwire, and Sosa?

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brien Taylor, Ben McDonald, Tony Mandarich, Brian Bosworth, Ryan Leaf, Greg Oden, Zion Williamson

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@72skywalker said:

@balco758 said:

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

**> " I agree but I might put Joe Namath over Jim Brown." **

You own the distinction as being the only person ever to have written or said that.

For cards, I'll obviously take Jim Brown over Barry Sanders. But as a running back, Barry is ahead of Brown in my book. Biased for sure, as I am a lifelong Michigan resident and watched Barry but Brown was earlier than my time.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@72skywalker said:

@balco758 said:

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

You own the distinction as being the only person ever to have written or said that.

For cards, I'll obviously take Jim Brown over Barry Sanders. But as a running back, Barry is ahead of Brown in my book. Biased for sure, as I am a lifelong Michigan resident and watched Barry but Brown was earlier than my time.

I think football and basketball, unlike baseball, have improved so much that it is obvious that a star player of a previous generation simply wouldn't be today. You could argue, and I don't know enough to one way or the other, that those players would greatly improve by using today's training methods, medical treatments, nutritionists, etc.

I recall reading maybe five years ago someone watching a hockey game from the '70s and being astonished at how slow it was and how long the shifts were.

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@72skywalker said:

@balco758 said:

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

It is only because I like quarterback cards more than running back cards. Jim Brown is obviously a better player but I prefer QBs.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:

@balco758 said:

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

I agree but I might put Joe Namath over Jim Brown.

Was thinking exactly that. Card not the player.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@72skywalker said:

@balco758 said:

52 Mantle
    86 Jordan
    79 Gretzky
    58 Jim Brown

I think football and basketball, unlike baseball, have improved so much that it is obvious that a star player of a previous generation simply wouldn't be today. You could argue, and I don't know enough to one way or the other, that those players would greatly improve by using today's training methods, medical treatments, nutritionists, etc.

I recall reading maybe five years ago someone watching a hockey game from the '70s and being astonished at how slow it was and how long the shifts were.

This is incorrect in regards to basketball.

Better shape? Sure, chemicals and trading can do that. However, most guys playing now can’t play better with four players around them and often can play worse. The NBA has also changed the rules (significantly) of basketball to make the game much more guard oriented.

Elgin Baylor and George Gervin were both tremendous athletes. Part of the reason you don’t see their highlight reels of dunks is because back then there was ‘pain in the middle’ which mostly kept the guards out of the lane or when they came in anyway, there were big men there to put them down on the hardwood.

Realistically, it was nearly as much the flagrant foul as it was Michael Jordan that helped the Bulls finally get past the Pistons; and yes, flagrant fouls was a rule passed in 1980 and only started to be enforced in?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best athletes from any time - if born in this era and still being lucky enough to be born into a country that affords them opportunity - would still be the best. Plop one in a time machine they would not be able to adjust - but have them grow up with the equipment, coaching, training and general better quality of life (childhood disease, more readily available food etc.) they would still be the best.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    The best athletes from any time - if born in this era and still being lucky enough to be born into a country that affords them opportunity - would still be the best. Plop one in a time machine they would not be able to adjust - but have them grow up with the equipment, coaching, training and general better quality of life (childhood disease, more readily available food etc.) they would still be the best.

Perhaps, but the best players are not always, one might be tempted to say "rarely", the best athletes. Herb Washington, even in his specialty as a Designated Pinch Runner, was a great athlete, terrible baseball player. Counterexample is John Kruk who was a good, not great, player and famously disclaimed any ability as an athlete.

How much would Walter Johnson have stood out in an era where even the top starters rarely take a third turn through the lineup? Or Wilt Chamberlain in an era when Karl-Anthony Towns shoots 41% on his 366 three point attempts?

• Options

@daltex said:

@brad31 said:

Perhaps, but the best players are not always, one might be tempted to say "rarely", the best athletes. Herb Washington, even in his specialty as a Designated Pinch Runner, was a great athlete, terrible baseball player. Counterexample is John Kruk who was a good, not great, player and famously disclaimed any ability as an athlete.

How much would Walter Johnson have stood out in an era where even the top starters rarely take a third turn through the lineup? Or Wilt Chamberlain in an era when Karl-Anthony Towns shoots 41% on his 366 three point attempts?

Many athletes are very gifted the way Secretariat was gifted with a heart twice the size of a normal horse.

Bobby Orr and Connor McDavid are gifted with the quickest feet and initial speed burst hockey has ever seen and would be great in any era.

Ted Williams was gifted with super human hand eye coordination and would dominate in any era.

Messi gifted with an incredible speed burst and eye foot coordination above others.

Swimmers and track athletes gifted with superhuman fast twitch muscles that have records that could be out of reach.

Walter Johnson’s domination of Babe Ruth head to head tells me he would be a force even today.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top starters going max effort for 6 would still be dominant.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not going to divide up the sports evenly. This is my opinion of strictly impact only.

These cards transcend the hobby. People that don't collect cards know these cards. Well, maybe not the Ruth, but everyone know who Babe Ruth is and I picked his rookie card. Maybe a better pick would be one of the 1933 Goudey Ruth's.

Here is my list.

T206 Honus Wagner
    1916 Sporting News Babe Ruth
    1952 Topps Mickey Mantle
    1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan

Shane

• Options

@frankhardy said:
    I am not going to divide up the sports evenly. This is my opinion of strictly impact only.

These cards transcend the hobby. People that don't collect cards know these cards. Well, maybe not the Ruth, but everyone know who Babe Ruth is and I picked his rookie card. Maybe a better pick would be one of the 1933 Goudey Ruth's.

Here is my list.

T206 Honus Wagner
    1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

To revisit the above, I agree with three of these four with the Upper Deck Griffey replacing the Ruth. While Ruth is undoubtedly an iconic, perhaps THE iconic, player, he really has no "must have" card. The Jordan stands for all "non-baseball" cards as it really showed for the first time that the other sports could have value. Plus, there is no hockey, let alone football, card nearly as iconic.

Also, as I mentioned before, it is amusing given the laser focus on rookie cards, it's funny that only one of these is a rookie card.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@frankhardy said:

Here is my list.

T206 Honus Wagner
    1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

To revisit the above, I agree with three of these four with the Upper Deck Griffey replacing the Ruth. While Ruth is undoubtedly an iconic, perhaps THE iconic, player, he really has no "must have" card. The Jordan stands for all "non-baseball" cards as it really showed for the first time that the other sports could have value. Plus, there is no hockey, let alone football, card nearly as iconic.

Also, as I mentioned before, it is amusing given the laser focus on rookie cards, it's funny that only one of these is a rookie card.

I could actually get on board with that. You talked me into it. The difficulty for me is that the Griffey is soooo mass produced and so common. It's value, to me, doesn't make total sense. But..... I can go with it because it is an important card.

Shane

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2022 1:25AM

I think these four cards are pretty representative of the hobby:

T206 Cobb (red back)
    1952 Topps Mantle
    1989 Upper Deck Griffey
    2011 Topps Update Trout

Though I own none of them, these seem to me to cover the baseball card collecting era well and represent some of the biggest chase cards of several generations and those that came after. Each one seemed to ignite the hobby for a new generation and become the premier card - both at the time and in perpetuity - for many, many collectors. These cards are base cards and therefore accessible (via population, anyway) which helps both their appeal and collectability.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don West. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

If the 1979 Gretzky is on the list, the 1954 Topps Gordie Howe should be considered as well.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

The Baltimore News Ruth
    T206 Wagner
    Cracker Jack Ty Cobb (Maybe Shoeless Joe from this set)
    52 Mantle