Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is the best rookie card, any sport, 1952 to now?

One of the projects I'm working on is the best rookie card, any sport, from 1952 until now. The more recent years are giving me a fit. Who would you select for 2016? And 2021?

And yes, I know Mays or Mantle should be 51 and Matthews at 52 . . . I'm working on it . . .

Opinions on alternative / different cards in any year welcome.

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2022 7:12PM

At first thought, Pele clearly beats Jimmy Brown for 1958. But, while the 1958 cards are considered to be Pele RCs, he does have a much more elusive 1957 one too. So, you could put Pele in at 1957 or 1958 and probably be ok bumping out either of the Unitas or Brown ones you have there. But, assuming you go with 1958 for Pele, I think Bill Russell is ahead of Unitas for 1957.

Also, 2004 is definitely Lionel Messi. I'd put CR7 in there for 2002 if it were my list. Maradona instead of Largent. 2014 is trending towards being Draisaitl, though I do like seeing you having included athletes beyond the major 4 sports (i.e., boxing, etc.).

For the purpose of your experiment here, you have T.Woods in 2001, but is that only because you didn't put him in 1996 b/c of Kobe?

All due respect to Yaz, but 1960 is Cassius Clay.

• Options

@Ltlbvr said:
    Who would you select for 2016? And 2021?

2016 is probably a tossup between Auston Matthews and Kylian Mbappe at this point, but at least based on this season I'd lean towards Matthews.

• Options
    LtlbvrLtlbvr Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    At first thought, Pele clearly beats Jimmy Brown for 1958. But, while the 1958 cards are considered to be Pele RCs, he does have a much more elusive 1957 one too. So, you could put Pele in at 1957 or 1958 and probably be ok bumping out either of the Unitas or Brown ones you have there. But, assuming you go with 1958 for Pele, I think Bill Russell is ahead of Unitas for 1957.

Also, 2004 is definitely Lionel Messi. I'd put CR7 in there for 2002 if it were my list. Maradona instead of Largent. 2014 is trending towards being Draisaitl, though I do like seeing you having included athletes beyond the major 4 sports (i.e., boxing, etc.).

For the purpose of your experiment here, you have T.Woods in 2001, but is that only because you didn't put him in 1996 b/c of Kobe?

Russell for 57 and Clay for 60 are definitely on the upgrade list. Thought I had 58 right - but cannot argue with Pele. I will add Messi next - great recommendation!

1996 is Kobe for me for sure. Tiger “rookie” in 2001 is a stretch. I wanted some diversification and Tiger fit - but maybe not well. Others I think are debatable are 65 (Namath), 14 (like Tiger, Alverez not really a rookie) and 20 (not sure about Blaze Jordan).

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Nice way to do this
    nice collection

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Wow, great idea for a collection. Looks great!

I agree with the "upgrades" expressed above.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

@Ltlbvr said:

@miwlvrn said:

Russell for 57 and Clay for 60 are definitely on the upgrade list. Thought I had 58 right - but cannot argue with Pele. I will add Messi next - great recommendation!

1996 is Kobe for me for sure. Tiger “rookie” in 2001 is a stretch. I wanted some diversification and Tiger fit - but maybe not well. Others I think are debatable are 65 (Namath), 14 (like Tiger, Alverez not really a rookie) and 20 (not sure about Blaze Jordan).

Yes, agreed Kobe over Tiger for 1996. If deciding Tiger does not qualify for 2001, then some to consider are Ichiro, Pujols, Brees (as a player to watch, my clear favorite for that year would be Datsyuk but he'd get out-voted by the general population in favor of one of those other 3).

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2022 11:39AM

Depending on how deeply you are willing to go into misc. sports, take a look at the 1992 STX/Nastasi Gary Gait card. The rookie card of the man widely considered the best to ever pick up a lacrosse stick.

ETA - Fascinating way to collect rookie cards. I don't believe I've ever seen a similar collection. I like it!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    GansetttimeGansetttime Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Jordan's rookie year was 1984, so a Star #101 would be the choice for me.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting concept and some solid choices there! Impressive!

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2022 4:19PM

This is not my card, and I don't have any special love for the player, but this is one of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't Duren throw ~100 miles an hour but was really wild?

• Options

@Gansetttime said:
    Jordan's rookie year was 1984, so a Star #101 would be the choice for me.

And that opens up 86 for Jerry Rice.

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    Depending on how deeply you are willing to go into misc. sports, take a look at the 1992 STX/Nastasi Gary Gait card. The rookie card of the man widely considered the best to ever pick up a lacrosse stick.

ETA - Fascinating way to collect rookie cards. I don't believe I've ever seen a similar collection. I like it!

Great recommendation. Thank you! Personally, I like as many sports represented as possible.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2022 6:42PM

@Ltlbvr said:
    One of the projects I'm working on is the best rookie card, any sport, from 1952 until now. The more recent years are giving me a fit. Who would you select for 2016? And 2021?

And yes, I know Mays or Mantle should be 51 and Matthews at 52 . . . I'm working on it . . .

Best? How it that quantified? By value? By visual preference? By scarcity? Player performance? Player Celebrity? Other metrics?

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

@Ltlbvr said:

Best? How it that quantified? By value? By visual preference? By scarcity? Player performance? Player Celebrity? Other metrics?

Best is subjective. Like Hulk over Ripken. Most disagree. But, Hulk was amazing on Saturday growing up. Palmer over Namath - I love the artwork of the Palmer card. Of course value, scarcity and player is a factor. So, given all of these factors. Who’s your pick. For each year. It’s an art. Not a science.

• Options

@Ltlbvr said:

@AFLfan said:

Great recommendation. Thank you! Personally, I like as many sports represented as possible.

If you're really up for representing more sports, then look into one of the options for 1973 VFL Leigh Matthews.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 Stallone Rookie meet Rocky

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Looks fantastic! Great cards for sure. I am undoubtedly biased but I'd put Fiddy in the 77 slot. :p It just doesn't matter that Largent had 10x the career, I just love that Bird card. You made the correct call though.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

For 2016 I'd say Vlad Bowman Chrome Refractor Auto.

• Options
    stanforddudestanforddude Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

After this past season, I’d give Ovechkin the nod over Crosby for best 2005 rookie.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Looks fantastic! Great cards for sure. I am undoubtedly biased but I'd put Fiddy in the 77 slot. :p It just doesn't matter that Largent had 10x the career, I just love that Bird card. You made the correct call though.

Still voting for Maradona for '77; but, as a Michigan life-timer, I love seeing the Bird brought into the conversation.

• Options

@stanforddude said:
    After this past season, I’d give Ovechkin the nod over Crosby for best 2005 rookie.

Note that the NHLPA players poll voted for Crosby for the best overall complete player in the league this season, even ahead of P.Bergeron.

• Options

I'm still working on my "Best Rookie" collection. 52 - 22. After a bunch of your feedback, here is the most recent picture of the group. I did upgrade 57 from Unitas to Russell - the card is not here yet.

Would love feedback, but here is where I think things could improve:

Eddie Matthews at 52 (we all know Mays rookie is 51)
    Michael Jordan Star at 84, opening up 86 for Jerry Rice
    Maybe Overchkin at 2005?

Then, I need HELP for 2021!

Opinions are very welcome.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soccer?

The title said any SPORT.

:#

Shane

• Options

@Ltlbvr said:
    I'm still working on my "Best Rookie" collection. 52 - 22. After a bunch of your feedback, here is the most recent picture of the group. I did upgrade 57 from Unitas to Russell - the card is not here yet.

Maybe Overchkin at 2005?

I love seeing that you included Mbappe on there! But his RC is 2016, not 2018.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@Ltlbvr said:

Maybe Overchkin at 2005?

The 2016 Panini w/ Corentin Jean? Is that considered his Mbappe's rookie? Thanks for the reply.

• Options

@Ltlbvr said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Ltlbvr said:

Maybe Overchkin at 2005?

The 2016 Panini w/ Corentin Jean? Is that considered his Mbappe's rookie? Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's the one. There are a whole lot of card options made in 2017, but that 2016 card is the RC.

The 2018 ones are often labeled as RC in auction item titles by people referring to it as a rookie due to it being his first World Cup tournament, but that is not a correct word choice in that case.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

1982 topps shooty babbitt. an all-time great!!!

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Not Unitas or Russell in stature but in terms of “best” cards (obviously subjective), I’d go with this one for 1957. I hope to own one someday.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    This is not my card, and I don't have any special love for the player, but this is one of the most beautiful cards I have ever seen.

Sandberg has said in interviews his parents named him after Ryne Duren. It was a more of a liked the name thing than that they were huge fans, but saw the name because if Duren. If I remember correctly they were Phillies fans.

• Options
    markmac33markmac33 Posts: 49 ✭✭

I think 1970 should be Pistol Pete. Put Jordan in 1984 and Mike Tyson in 1986? I want to get Iron Mike in there but Jerry Rice might be the Goat of his sport.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would swap the 84 FU Clemens for Puckett

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:21PM

dupe post

• Options
    edited September 20, 2023 7:20PM

For 1993; the SP Jeter?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

boy, is that ever a nice Jeter!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.