Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1843 Seated Dollar

2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

t
ed
All, please excuse my photography skills! Can anyone help with identifiers for proof Seated dollars? This coin looks so much nicer in hand, no cleaning lines and unbelievable toning…My question is…any chance this is a proof? Only one image to compare to on PCGS and nothing definitive there. Also, i do not believe it has been polished and the luster in fields is spectacular.

Comments

• Options
    Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @MFeld. Doesn't appear to be a proof. Also looks cleaned and AT'd. Nicely struck.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 1843 dollar has been majorly boinked with. A shame, since it looks very well struck.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Polished.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the above.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Agree with the above.

What he said...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with biz strike, cleaned, AT'ed. These early dollars can fool people easily RE proof vs non-proof unless you've handled the proofs.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the polished, AT camp.
    Sorry.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 3:07PM

Yep, in the cleaned AT camp too.

Edited to add... I do however like your username! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked the seated dollar attribution guide, and this is pretty clearly not a proof. please see this link: seateddollarvarieties.com/1843-OCP1.shtml

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever the case it's pretty sweet looking.
    Secondly, it's never too windy to fish :)

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you Kaz!
    That is what I was truly after but was unable to find, of course had it been a proof!
    Appreciate your help!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT as well as AS, must have been exceptionally shiny on the first go around by whoever fooled with it; then he decided to try to AT it.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

It also doesn’t have proof rims.

thefinn
  • Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

It is definitely AT, but look at the reverse final "A" in AMERICA. All proofs from 1840-1850 were struck from the same reverse die. The final A in AMERICA shows the middle crossbar extending to the the outside on the right side. If this coin has that
    it is probably a proof. You can see this on Proof Seated Dollars of this era on CoinFacts. Check it out and compare to
    your 1843.

• Options

Based on that diagnostic this coin is legit. :)
    Here is the 1843 proof from CoinFacts compared to the OP’s coin.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    The coin doesn’t look like a Proof and it appears to be cleaned (edited: or polished) and artificially toned. One tell, in particular, regarding the cleaning, is the area surrounding the first three stars on the lower left side of the obverse.

I wouldn’t be too quick with the AT either. Other proof coins from this era also exhibit non toned areas around the devices. Perhaps the coin was kept in a cellophane that simply could not touch the surfaces next to the higher points. If this was this case then that could explain why this is happening on the entire coin.

• Options

And then my final non professional point would be, yes it does have a nice strike.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@MFeld said:
    The coin doesn’t look like a Proof and it appears to be cleaned (edited: or polished) and artificially toned. One tell, in particular, regarding the cleaning, is the area surrounding the first three stars on the lower left side of the obverse.

I wouldn’t be too quick with the AT either. Other proof coins from this era also exhibit non toned areas around the devices. Perhaps the coin was kept in a cellophane that simply could not touch the surfaces next to the higher points. If this was this case then that could explain why this is happening on the entire coin.

Those halos are textbook for cleaned or polished coins. Cellophane wouldn’t likely cause toning the way paper or cardboard would. Many toning sources also impart toning by being near and not directly touching the coin. Think about 1950s mint set toning where coins can be fully toned but the paper causing the toning can touch anything more than the highest points, if any part of the coin. Even if the toning were “natural” it was enabled by the coin being polished, so it’s not as though the coin has truly original toning that ignores the other surface issues.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Using the link that @kaz posted, the date position on your coin is too far right to be a proof.
    It is in the correct position of the only known business strike obverse die for 1843.
    http://www.seateddollarvarieties.com/1843.shtml

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone really fooled with this one.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is AT and cleaned.... Those points alone make it a hard pass for me. Cheers, RickO

• Options

So would this be the work of a coin doctor? Trying to turn a 500 coin into a 50,000 coin.
    What a shame

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    So would this be the work of a coin doctor? Trying to turn a 500 coin into a 50,000 coin.
    What a shame

I don't see anything to indicate that someone was trying to make the coin look like a Proof.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Coinscratch said:
    What a shame

I don't see anything to indicate that someone was trying to make the coin look like a Proof.

Okay, I see.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file