Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nic-A-Date Fun

VeepVeep Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭

Windy, rainy day here so no golf today. I grabbed six dateless buffs and a ten year old, unused bottle of Nic-A-Date and came up with a ‘21-S and ‘14-D. Maybe I should play the lotto today. The other four were ‘19-S coins.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭

That does sound like fun!

Scratch-.offs seem appropriate. ;)

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 10:39AM

Cool!
    B)
    About any '16/16's.
    You do know, you don't have to Nic-a-date them to detect!
    Just check the doubling of the feather.
    Good Luck.
    Long time ago, I found the key.
    The acid brought out a 1913s typ.2
    Even though, once again. You don't have to acid any '13's to detect also. The mint mark, had to be Nic-a-dated.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Cool!
    B)
    About any '16/16's.
    Good Luck.
    Even though, once again. You don't have to acid any '13's to detect also. The mint mark, had to be Nic-a-dated.
    ;)

What about a 1913-S Type 2 without the date? Wouldn't you need to use the acid to identify that it's a 1913 rather than another date?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2022 2:32PM

@PerryHall said:

@joeykoins said:
    Cool!
    B)
    About any '16/16's.
    Good Luck.
    ;)

What about a 1913-S Type 2 without the date? Wouldn't you need to use the acid to identify that it's a 1913 rather than another date?

Lol. True! You're right. Lol.
    Yeah, I was referring to the typ. 1 & 2.
    The easy determenation between the round mound and the flat mound.
    Sorry. In my case, I had to drop acid on both areas.
    Drop acid? No, I'm not talking about my younger days!
    :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful. Just don't Nic-A-Date any two feathers!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 18/7 s would be another one to find...

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 3:39PM

I was once advocating nic-a-dating any suspected 1916/16s. No more. No sense in cutting the value in half, or less, for this error in case you are lucky enough to have one in a group of no dates. Recently, I saw a 1918/17 D that had been nic-a-dated on both sides. I've decided that whoever did that spoiled the piece, especially by doing both sides and especially since there is a diagnostic for this error as well as the 1916/16. Leave these two alone with the nic-a-date. One of the last keys I found was a '14 D. I nic-a-dated the mintmark in addition to the date area only and got good results. I have never found a 1921 S. All of the keys, barring the two error pieces, but no '21 S.

Nic-a-daters who don't know what to look for to detect a 1916/16 or 1918/17 D, ASK or check the archives here.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    I was once advocating nic-a-dating any suspected 1916/16s. No more. No sense in cutting the value in half, or less, for this error in case you are lucky enough to have one in a group of no dates. Recently, I saw a 1918/17 D that had been nic-a-dated on both sides. I've decided that whoever did that spoiled the piece, especially by doing both sides and especially since there is a diagnostic for this error as well as the 1916/16. Leave these two alone with the nic-a-date. One of the last keys I found was a '14 D. I nic-a-dated the mintmark in addition to the date area only and got good results. I have never found a 1921 S. All of the keys, barring the two error pieces, but no '21 S.

Nic-a-daters who don't know what to look for to detect a 1916/16 or 1918/17 D, ASK or check the archives here.

I don’t understand why the dateless 1916/16 is valued as being worth more. I thought the whole point in owning a overdate is to be able to see it. I personally don’t want to own an overdate I can’t see on a coin. Pointless to me to own a dateless coin for a collection. Prefer details and having a normal coin albeit be acid restored

• Options
    edited April 24, 2022 3:56PM

The 1916/16 is easy to identify even without the date showing and the grading services will slab them as such. Since they are a doubled die coin (DDO) just look for the doubling in the feather which will show on even very well worn coins.

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@mr1874 said:

I don’t understand why the dateless 1916/16 is valued as being worth more. I thought the whole point in owning a overdate is to be able to see it. I personally don’t want to own an overdate I can’t see on a coin. Pointless to me to own a dateless coin for a collection. Prefer details and having a normal coin albeit be acid restored

If you disagree with my logic please let me know why.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@Joey29 said:

@mr1874 said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but many, many collectors cannot afford a $3000+ coin with a barely readable date, so they take what they can get, especially if genuine and in a holder. I would think that there are many more collectors who would accept such a coin grade(without nic-o-date) to complete a collection that otherwise would never be done. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Joey29 said:

If you don't care about appearance, just value. This is the answer!

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@Joey29 said:

If you don't care about appearance, just value. This is the answer!

True. But still wonder why collectors would pay more for a dateless coin just to straight graded.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 6:49PM

You can ID dateless 21-S nickels without nic-a-date. You can tell by the hair braids - 1921 used a unique hub type with accented hair detail directly above the hair braid that is visible even in very low grades.

All 1920 Buffalos also used a unique hub type with a wavy ribbon, but no accented hair. 1924 also has a slight ribbon wave that is unique to that date.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joey29 said:

@Joey29 said:

@mr1874 said:

It's not an overdate. It's a doubled die obverse. Two completely different things.

1916 DDO Buffalo Nickels also have extreme doubling on the ribbon and feathers that is visible clearly even in the lowest grades.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:

@Joey29 said:

@Joey29 said:

@mr1874 said:

It's not an overdate. It's a doubled die obverse. Two completely different things.

1916 DDO Buffalo Nickels also have extreme doubling on the ribbon and feathers that is visible clearly even in the lowest grades.

Sorry meant doubling, still a dateless coin personally to me is like a junk coin I got in the 1960,s when getting rolls of nickels to play skeeball machine at a boardwalk arcade.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2022 4:50AM

@Joey29 said:

@Omegaraptor said:

@Joey29 said:

@Joey29 said:

@mr1874 said:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collect what you like... If enhancing the detail pleases you, do it. If you are satisfied with the diagnostics, that is fine as well. Enjoy your coins.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always wondered if nic-a-date could be applied so carefully and judiciously that it would have little impact beyond revealing just the bit that needs revealing. Kind of a targeted strike vs carpet bombing exercise?

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    I’ve always wondered if nic-a-date could be applied so carefully and judiciously that it would have little impact beyond revealing just the bit that needs revealing. Kind of a targeted strike vs carpet bombing exercise?

Interesting question as you only technically need to see the last digit to verify either the double 6 or 8/7

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@TurtleCat said:

Interesting question as you only technically need to see the last digit to verify either the double 6 or 8/7

As pointed out earlier in this thread, you don't need to see the last digit or any trace of the date of the 16/16 nickel. It's a DDO and the doubling of the feather will confirm that it's the 16/16 variety.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Joey29 said:

@TurtleCat said:

As pointed out earlier in this thread, you don't need to see the last digit or any trace of the date of the 16/16 nickel. It's a DDO and the doubling of the feather will confirm that it's the 16/16 variety.

No I agree with you. He was talking about using less nic a date so I suggest using it on the last digit instead of the whole date

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @PerryHall that recognizing die markers is the intimate knowledge of a coins birth. Not all can attain this level of enlightenment. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun

• Options

@Joey29 said:

@PerryHall said:

@Joey29 said:

@TurtleCat said:

No I agree with you. He was talking about using less nic a date so I suggest using it on the last digit instead of the whole date

Don't use any Nic-A-Date on a 16/16 DDO nickel as it will diminish the value. Instead, get it slabbed and the label will show 16/16 and it will be worth a couple hundred dollars even without the date.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    I agree with @PerryHall that recognizing die markers is the intimate knowledge of a coins birth. Not all can attain this level of enlightenment. Peace Roy

It's interesting that die markers can also be used to identify the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter and the grading service will identify them as such.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the early '60's I collected Buffalo nickels -- from change.

The album was slowly filling, but no better dates.

Then I was able to get a bottle of Nic-A-Date [I forget if from a local coin shop or mail order].

Anyway, I soon completed the old folding Whitman album.

Sadly, I was bored, and never continued to look for the dates. It spoiled it for me at the time, when you could find many, many Buffs in a roll or cash register.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file