Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will CAC evaluate an error coin?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an Eisenhower PCGS blank planchet. Will CAC sticker it if they deem it worthy?

GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best thing is to email them and ask.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Ike planchet looks better than an MS61 and is worthy of a gold CAC sticker. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The quick answer is "NO."

There's really nothing to grade, imho. Your type 2 Eisenhower blank planchet is super cool and valuable, but I have never agreed with placing a numerical Sheldon grade on a coin without details. PCGS should have just graded it as "Uncirculated" or just leave the grade off of the label.

You may want to ask QA (like CAC, but for moderns). James Sego is the president and head grader, and he specializes in Eisenhower dollars. I doubt that QA will even evaluate a blank planchet, but it is worth an inquiry.

qacoins.com/

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumb novice question: Why would a blank planchet be a error?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Depending on the series, yes. For some series the mint gave out blank planchets as souvenirs for those who toured the mint at Denver or Philadelphia.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

Because it wasn't intended to be a blank,,,,,, but more importantly because PCGS says so ;)

@PerryHall said:
    That Ike planchet looks better than an MS61 and is worthy of a gold CAC sticker. ;)

Hey don't laugh,,,,,,,,, I can likely get 2x as much for it with a CAC sticker,,,,,,

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Depending on the series, yes. For some series the mint gave out blank planchets as souvenirs for those who toured the mint at Denver or Philadelphia.

I did not know that,,,,,,,

• Options
    edited April 23, 2022 5:56PM

@GRANDAM said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Because it wasn't intended to be a blank,,,,,, but more importantly because PCGS says so ;)

Aren't all blanks not intended to be blanks? They're intended to be coins. ;)

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@numisma said:

The quick answer is "NO."

There's really nothing to grade, imho. Your type 2 Eisenhower blank planchet is super cool and valuable, but I have never agreed with placing a numerical Sheldon grade on a coin without details. PCGS should have just graded it as "Uncirculated" or just leave the grade off of the label.

You may want to ask QA (like CAC, but for moderns). James Sego is the president and head grader, and he specializes in Eisenhower dollars. I doubt that QA will even evaluate a blank planchet, but it is worth an inquiry.

qacoins.com/

I know James well,,,,, QA Check is TOUGH,,,,,,, I have sent many PCGS MS70 coins that were rejected for their sticker. When you buy a QA Check coin you can be assured it is a TOP Quality piece.

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@numisma said:

Completely agree. Not only does a numerical grade not apply to a blank or a planchet, but in this case the grade actually devalues the coin IMO.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Not to belabor or get sidetracked from the subject line but does anyone question if it's a blank or a planchet? It looks like a planchet to me.

• Options

It is a planchet that was not struck so it is also blank.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2022 6:29PM

@GRANDAM said:

Really? Okay. I thought a blank comes from the sheet. The blank goes into the upset mill and become a planchet.

EDIT: I could be wrong.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@GRANDAM said:

Really? Okay. I thought a blank comes from the sheet. The blank goes into the upset mill and become a planchet.

Actually, you bring up a good point, but now we are wading into the realm of semantics. In the hobby, it is widely agreed that a planchet that was not stuck is a "blank planchet." Type 1 blanks without the upset rim are much scarcer than the Type 2 blank planchets with the upset rim.

You have surely seen the term "laminated planchet" on TPG labels and raw coin labels as well. In that situation, the planchet is not blank, but it is laminated and then struck, hence the description of "laminated planchet." A "blank planchet" is one that is just that: a planchet that is blank, or unstruck.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2022 5:14AM

@numisma said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@GRANDAM said:

Actually, you bring up a good point, but now we are wading into the realm of semantics. In the hobby, it is widely agreed that a planchet that was not stuck is a "blank planchet." Type 1 blanks without the upset rim are much scarcer than the Type 2 blank planchets with the upset rim.

You have surely seen the term "laminated planchet" on TPG labels and raw coin labels as well. In that situation, the planchet is not blank, but it is laminated and then struck, hence the description of "laminated planchet." A "blank planchet" is one that is just that: a planchet that is blank, or unstruck.

Thanks for that explanation @numisma. That works for me. 👍🏻

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a blank cent planchet.... and I saw a blank nickel planchet once at a show... That is the first silver dollar planchet I have seen... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file