Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a old ANACS holder ?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

If so how old is this holder ?

I cannot see the word “anacs” on it …

The reverse is a hologram …?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

Yep.

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 338 ✭✭✭

American
    Numismatic
    Association
    Certification
    Service
    It's a very early ANACS slab, it predates the acronym.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you ...are these worth anything?

• ToreyTorey Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

@bidask said:

They sell quite well, especially nicely toned examples.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinConsign said:

@bidask said:

They sell quite well, especially nicely toned examples.

Never knew plastic could tone. Perhaps fade a bit but never tone. :D

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably late 1980's. I doubt if anyone would pay a premium for the holder.

All glory is fleeting.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed it is

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Don't see those too often..

K

ANA LM
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

They would.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2022 7:29PM

@291fifth said:

There is a member that has a thread on the BST looking for these holders specifically. According to the data compiled by forum member @86Saab this is generation 1, the first and only slab the ANA used prior to selling to Amos Press. From his work this was used 2/89 to 6/90.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@291fifth said:

There is a member that has a thread on the BST looking for these holders specifically. According to the data compiled by forum member @86Saab this is generation 1, the first and only slab the ANA used prior to selling to Amos Press. From his work this was used 2/89 to 6/90.

Is this the thread ?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019761/anacs-slab-by-generation-info/p1

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Atcarroll said:
    American
    Numismatic
    Association
    Certification
    Service
    It's a very early ANACS slab, it predates the acronym.

It predates the acronym on the slabs, though of course we were using the acronym on photo certificates long before I started there in 1978.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@bidask said:

@coinbuf said:

@291fifth said:

Is this the thread ?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019761/anacs-slab-by-generation-info/p1

Yes that has the link to his work on cataloguing the ANACS generations.

My Lincoln Registry

@pointfivezero said:
    I think there is a strong collector base for these holders, at least at my house:

I seldom see these anymore, but like you I very much like them and will buy if I like the coin and the price.

My Lincoln Registry

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, nice coin, too!

I used to house my entire Morgan dollar collection in old ANA slabs but began crossing them over to PCGS over the years. Most of them crossed at or slightly above the ANA grade. Very few "down-graded," the most notable of which was a DMPL 1890-CC which went from 64 DMPL to 63 PL.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@pointfivezero said:
    I think there is a strong collector base for these holders, at least at my house:

I seldom see these anymore, but like you I very much like them and will buy if I like the coin and the price.

My feelings exactly. I rarely see them anymore and I think most have been cracked out and sent to NGC or PCGS for reslabbing.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing these occasionally at shows in the PNW when I lived there. Did not buy them - only because I did not like the coins. Cheers, RickO

This is the kind of item that has a thin market. Yes, there may be some collectors out there who will pay a premium for them but most will not. This is especially true in the case of common date coins such as the 1923 Dollar with high MS grades.

About two years ago I sold some coins in "rare" holders, including one in the type of holder shown in this thread. The dealers to whom the coins were offered had absolutely no interest in paying a premium for any of the holders. An attempt on my part to promote the rarity of the holders met with complete indifference. If the holder wasn't PCGS or NGC the coin would be considered as raw.

If you can get someone to pay a premium for the coin in question take the money and run!

All glory is fleeting.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    This is the kind of item that has a thin market. Yes, there may be some collectors out there who will pay a premium for them but most will not. This is especially true in the case of common date coins such as the 1923 Dollar with high MS grades.

About two years ago I sold some coins in "rare" holders, including one in the type of holder shown in this thread. The dealers to whom the coins were offered had absolutely no interest in paying a premium for any of the holders. An attempt on my part to promote the rarity of the holders met with complete indifference. If the holder wasn't PCGS or NGC the coin would be considered as raw.

If you can get someone to pay a premium for the coin in question take the money and run!

My experience with these older ANACS holders is you can drop the non TPG Grading discount.

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, in the past any ANACs holder was treated with little interest from dealers and priced as raw. When I needed about 10K for my son's college tuition 8 years ago, I brought about 75 slabbed Morgans to a big B&M dealer in NJ. Bot almost every PCGS holder, many NGC if the date was right or 63 & above, but no ANACs, even though all were the older holders, better dates or 63 and up. He was looking for quick turnaround and didn't want to hold the ANACs.

But these old ANACs holders are not treated with disinterest starting about 3 years ago. These old holders are sought out by many collectors, although I would say still a niche market compared to PCGS in terms of liquidity and broad appeal.

@PerryHall said:

@291fifth said:

Expressing disinterest in a coin offered for sale is a common negotiating tactic used by dealers to get the coin at the cheapest price possible.

In this case the disinterest was genuine. The dealers would not budge on what they offered.

All glory is fleeting.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@291fifth said:

Expressing disinterest in a coin offered for sale is a common negotiating tactic used by dealers to get the coin at the cheapest price possible.

I can see how a potential buyer would say something like the toning is terminal, it is ugly, etc., "I have nowhere to go with it" etc., knowing full well there is a lot of demand for old holders.

• KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

XA SERIES, 10,000 COINS. FIRST ANACS SLABS ISSUED FEB 1989, I PROBABLY GRADED THIS ONE J.P. MARTIN

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KOYNGUY said:
    XA SERIES, 10,000 COINS. FIRST ANACS SLABS ISSUED FEB 1989, I PROBABLY GRADED THIS ONE J.P. MARTIN

Young whippersnapper!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • dbrown27dbrown27 Posts: 80 ✭✭

I'm a buyer. I sent you a PM. Time to report my search thread :)

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the holder not the coin - who cares about the coin?

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I care! :'(

Leo :D

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2022 8:23PM

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 1994, I bought a 1916-D Mercury Dime that was in one of those old ANA holders. It was a G04. I submitted the coin in the holder to PCGS. PCGS also graded it G04. I still have the coin in a PCGS OGH.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file