Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919 DDO Mercury

Going through my mercury dimes that I found with my metal dectctor over the last 45 years, I found a 1919 Philly. I see the new buzz about the DDO version with the doubled motto. What I cannot find, however, is one with all four digits of the date doubled instead of the motto. Is this a version that I should send somewhere for verification or are doubled date mercuries just all in the $20 range?

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it here with a picture first.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Not sure how to attach picture to comment, sorry.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eaglethree said:
    are doubled date mercuries just all in the $20 range?

You added an extra digit. Doubling on a coin almost always is a form of damage. Your coin is worth about $2, for the silver that it contains.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eaglethree said:
    Not sure how to attach picture to comment, sorry.

As a new member you will have to wait a few days before you are allowed to upload photos, you can post a link to any photos.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2022 3:37PM

This one got away from everyone and was not found till years later. I can't see where it could have been missed. However, it is not a date and mint that anyone would stop and look at, common as it is (and was).

It's worth another look.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

The only link I have is my ebay listing for it. 394042309863. I may have panicked and listed it way too high after seeing the double motto selling for $1000+. Maybe I should drop it about 95% and let the market tell me what I may have.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2022 3:45PM

Please look at this photo from PCGS CoinFacts which they have presented to us for free. Takes a little time to realize all the information available there but you will catch on quick the more you use it. This is their representation of what is required to be a 1919 P DDO Mercury Dime. Welcome to the forum eaglethree. As soon as you are allowed by the forum you can simply copy and paste your photo.
    Jim
    Edited to add: SORRY, but I meant to say areas w/ arrows, my bad.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eaglethree said:
    The only link I have is my ebay listing for it. 394042309863. I may have panicked and listed it way too high after seeing the double motto selling for $1000+. Maybe I should drop it about 95% and let the market tell me what I may have.

The coin in your ebay auction does not look to be any kind of DDO from that one close up photo you included in the auction.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like machine doubling, like 99% of all "new DDO discoveries" out there.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Thank you all! I guess I'll price the auction way down to not look quite like a fool.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's not even worth what you have it priced at now. it's worth about $1.75

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a guy bring in over 200 1919's today, been set aside for years , thought for sure id pull one, nope!

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

One day a MS example has to be discovered. #goal for this decade.

Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    One day a MS example has to be discovered. #goal for this decade.

It is surely out there...somewhere

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep... the OP dime is machine doubling... I have been searching for the real DDO since it was discovered. No luck so far. When it first was found, I had my daughter go to coin shops in her area of NC and buy any 1919 dimes they had. None of them were the DDO. Oh well, on with the hunt. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file