Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buy the card AND the holder.

Anyone else like certain holders with certain cards ? I love PSA but sometimes, like with Pirates, Steelers, or Penguins cards, other TPG holders present nicer. Here are two of my Penguins cards that I feel are both great, but the holder does add a little.

Comments

• Options

That does look much nicer in the SGC holder

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I think pre 1989 for hockey all look better in SGC holders, I would imagine that translates over to most sports as well.

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:
    I think pre 1989 for hockey all look better in SGC holders, I would imagine that translates over to most sports as well.

The SGC Yzerman OPC rookies I picked up recently look so much better in their holders I have to agree.

• Options
    dmg111dmg111 Posts: 45 ✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2022 8:23AM

I don't get their appeal, but to each their own I guess :)

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2022 9:18AM

Not a fan of the new SGC label/flip, but their slab I find much nicer. Their slabs have a higher quality feel to them and the black background really makes cards pop.

If PSA was a minor player most folks would likely feel their slabs are unattractive and cheaply made.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 86 Fleers in SGC holders

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2022 10:14AM

Now the card on the left would present better in a PSA holder, but the card on the right looks good.

Don’t care for the green flips. All companies could have different color flips to match the cards.

PSA should have their red flips, but use a black one and blue one also.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

i find BGS holders the nicest. and by quite a margin. they most certainly offer the best protection. their slab is the most robust and I love the inner sleeve.

i MUCH prefer PSA grading standards though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

KSA holders have a similar look, grades may not align.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2022 11:28AM

@clarke442 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

KSA holders have a similar look, grades may not align.

I'm not a fan of the cheap black foam insert that KSA uses in their slabs, sometimes it has a rough edge like it was cut with preschool safety scissors

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2022 5:51PM

I like the PSA color pop that the flip provides to black and white material…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest