Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this a rare coin error? Should I send it in to be graded and put in a protective coin holder?

Carhartt206Carhartt206 Posts: 1
edited April 19, 2022 2:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I was down to the last few handfuls and i noticed something strange a quarter that was completely pure copper at first I thought it was fake then I saw that back side of the quarter a paper thin piece of metal I was thinking wow this is cool the quarter is literally split in 3 pieces both silver planchets and the copper core I thought that when coins were pressed these metals literally melt together well weld together from the pressure of being punched then flipped and punched from the other end or is it just once and both sides that sounds like it would be more accurate So I attached photos this quarter is from 1967 I didn't see a mint mark so thats about all I know ? Please let me know what everyone thinks? Value? Rare? Good find ? Thanks everyone for your time https://photos.app.goo.gl/5TSrc8SkeGoMVeZa8

Comments

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try posting picture, that will help a lot

Frank

BHNC #203

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 3:43AM

Clad layers of coins can become detached before striking or after striking a coin. Its unusual for both clad layers to split off. If genuine and you have all 3 pieces. I think it would have a decent value.

EDIT something like that would need to be certified unless you know of a good error dealer near you.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2022 4:33AM

@Carhartt206 ... Welcome aboard. Put the pieces in a flip and submit for authentication to our hosts. Cheers, RickO

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those coins (pcs) will not be put in an NGC or PCGS holder – they’re all PMD
    Someone has played with them and removed the outer layers they’re all damaged

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the condition I have to wonder if it was helped. I could see that coming back as "authenticity uncertain".

You'll have to pay a separate grading fee for each piece. It's going to be expensive.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    Considering the condition I have to wonder if it was helped. I could see that coming back as "authenticity uncertain".

You'll have to pay a separate grading fee for each piece. It's going to be expensive.

There's no uncertainty. They are someone's science experiment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file