Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MLB Pitcher of the 80’s/90’s & Their Rookie Cards

An interesting question posed to me by a friend of mine recently.
I was born in 1977, but grew up watching baseball in the 80’s & 90’s; the steroid era essentially.
Looking back on this generation, the offensive players undoubtedly come to mind first as offensive numbers skyrocketed.
But what about the legendary hurlers that dominated in this extraordinarily difficult competitive landscape?
These are the pitchers (and their rookie cards) that came to mind for me…

Roger Clemens - 1984 Fleer Update

Greg Maddux - 1987 Topps Traded Tiffany

Randy Johnson - 1989 Topps Tiffany

Pedro Martinez - 1991 Upper Deck Final Edition???

I’m interested to hear from some of the MLB fans out there what they think.
Which of these pitchers stands out the most to you?
Which of their rookie cards has the most potential growth in the future?

Could be a fun topic, let’s hear it!

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for growth, but more of a forgotten few.

1981 Fernando Valenzuela
    1982 Lee Smith
    1983 Frank Viola
    1985 Orel Hershiser & David Cone

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like Randy Johnson rookie card values do not reflect his value as a completely dominant pitcher.

Lots of room for future appreciation.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clemens was the most dominate of those four and for the longest duration. Johnson is the most undervalued of the four. Maddux will always have the most fanfare of those four. Pedro had the most dominate run of seasons, but not the longevity of the others. I would vote for Johnson’s Topps Tiffany RC as the most upside, but Clemens 1984 Fleer Update is the most iconic.

And yes, I put my money where my mouth is 🙂

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2022 3:43PM

@nam812 said:
    Not for growth, but more of a forgotten few.
    1985 Orel Hershiser & David Cone

Cone was 1987. A big game pitcher. I'll never forget his performance in Game 3 of the 1996 WS. Many now are not aware he has just come back from serious aneurysm surgery in his pitching arm few weeks prior.

As a now firm rule I do not collect Baseball after 1984, still I do have 3 (and only 3) cards post 1984 that fit the bill of this topic.

also. Jimmy Key. HOF future certainly not, underrated certainly. He was fun to watch in 1996 - yeah I'm a 1996 Yankees Fan emphasis on 1996.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

also. Jimmy Key. HOF future certainly not, underrated certainly. He was fun to watch in 1996 - yeah I'm a 1996 Yankees Fan emphasis on 1996.

You say this, and again I point out that Key was better than the three pitchers on the Committee ballots last December.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

From your list?

Randy Johnson…

…or Pedro.

But here’s a few more solid pitchers, with a quick note on the last one. If he pitched from his youth until his retirement in America perhaps he’d be bound for Cooperstown; The Duke was supposed to have been even better pitching in his 20s in Cuba.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Big Game Curt!

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2022 5:59PM

Best five pitchers of the era not in the HoF. The way the Committees go, any or all could get in, and there is really no excuse for the first three to be out: Note: stock images, not my cards.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy was pretty good too….my favorite pitcher as a kid.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    This guy was pretty good too….my favorite pitcher as a kid.

Best pitcher all-time by his age 21 season. Likely highest percentage of career value by his age 21 season. Unlikely to make the HoF due to his career arc, but actually better than about a dozen HoF starting pitchers.

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Dennis Eckersley struck fear in hitters as much as anyone in the late 80s and early 90s. Not a starting pitcher by this time in his career, but no doubt, the most dominant closer in baseball from 1988 to 1992. Unhittable for the most part.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

This Maddux card is pretty fun…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest