Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA vs. SGC vs. CSG vs. BGS

I have appr. 140 T-206 cards I would like to have graded. All of them are commons with
common backs. Most would grade between PSA 2- 5. I have a dealer who will submit them for me.
PSA $60/ea. ,not sure about the wait. Limit 20/week
SGC, $25/ea. minimum 50 cards with appr. 6 week wait.
CSG $25/ea., minimum 50, no mention about turn around.
BGS $39/ea, 3 card minimum. 6 month turn around.
With this information, which service would you choose? I was leaning toward SGC but I will
listen to any other suggestions.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

If you are looking to resell, PSA return will give you more than the delta between the PSA/SGC pricing. You should be able to send more than 20/week now at that price point. SGC will be quicker turnaround and take longer to sell for commons.

If you are looking for PC, I'd go SGC based on price or personally I'd hold out for PSA pricing to drop.

CSG - too new for vintage.

BGS - good luck on 6 month turnaround. They are the worst at this point among the 4 with return and customer service. When you send cards there, they are basically in a black hole for months.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

You can get PSA at $50each through a multitude of "dealers", you're dealer is Will Smith'ing you !!

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

For T206 or any before 1930. I would go to SGC. anything after, PSA.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the input everyone. I will go with SGC. I will drop them with my
    dealer. He does all of the work. Bills me accordingly. I wish I had taken his
    advice and sent them in Feb. 2020. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks again.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget about GAI!

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost, resale, and logistics concerns aside, I like the aesthetics of T206 cards in the SGC black frame. The colors really pop. I think you will be pleased. Drop some pics when you get them back!

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 GAI was not one of the TPG's offered. When I talk with
    the dealer, I'll ask why.

• Options

My reason for slabbing the cards is two fold. One for a relatively accurate
    opinion on grade. The other is for simple protection. When my time comes,
    there will be a list of instructions for my heirs.

• Options
    dmg111dmg111 Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

I think SGC has the ugliest slabs out of all of them. :(

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t collect slabs so not sure whose slab is the best, but presentation wise nothing beats vintage against a black backdrop. Most of my graded collection is PSA but for vintage hockey its not even close which holder presents cards better.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely agree that T-206 cards look best in SGC slabs.

• Options

@Tibor said:
    I have appr. 140 T-206 cards I would like to have graded. All of them are commons with
    common backs. Most would grade between PSA 2- 5. I have a dealer who will submit them for me.
    PSA $60/ea. ,not sure about the wait. Limit 20/week
    SGC, $25/ea. minimum 50 cards with appr. 6 week wait.
    CSG $25/ea., minimum 50, no mention about turn around.
    BGS $39/ea, 3 card minimum. 6 month turn around.
    With this information, which service would you choose? I was leaning toward SGC but I will
    listen to any other suggestions.
    Thank you in advance.

PSA i thought is only doing 100/card right now? I am a noob but thats the cheapest choice I see to submit? What am I missing?

• Options

@jkpilot I've done business with Joe A few times. Very nice and professional. In
    February of 2020 as the COVID19 was starting here, he sent off to PSA 200+ cards.
    Over 100 T-206's and 100 Topps and Bowman, 1956-73. He pre graded the cards
    and was spot on on all but 2. One came back a PSA 5 instead of PSA 4, the other
    PSA 7 instead of PSA 6. At the time I didn't consider any other TPG and there weren't
    all of the different price levels. This time since I've got 140+ T-206's, no rarities, I've decided
    to go with SGC. I think that's best.
    https://gotbaseballcards.com/

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 7:52PM

I like the look of SGC slabs but preferred their old label.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Blomberg looks like he just spotted a Black Mamba on the ground in front of him. LOL Too funny.

• Options

Dropped off the cards today with Joe. Since the start of this thread, the price for
    grading @SGC dropped another $2. My main reason for slabbing the cards is the
    protection the "slab" provides. Won't be any newly damaged cards going forward.
    When I get them back I will post a few of them.

• Options
    DougGlattDougGlatt Posts: 49 ✭✭✭

For my more valuable cards I go with PSA, but with most of my stuff I have been using CSG and really like their slabs, customer service, and price.

They are still 20.00 a pop, but will increase to 25 a card on July 5th I believe.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

If you submit to PSA you risk having your cards damaged. Risk getting back inaccurately graded cards. I think PSA used to be top of the heap. Now I'd put them at number 3 or 4. Beckett has the best cases. SGC seems to be the most respected. In that nobody has anything bad to say about SGC. I've watched this board for like 2 years straight every day. Nobody has bad stuff to say about SGC. PSA seems to be right on the same path as Beckett. Down hill slope. SGC is probably the best value out there. CSG is a total crapshoot, but, may be better than giving your stuff to PSA. PSA isn't the same company it was even a couple years ago. 30 dollar value got posted just so they could run the clock on subscriptions.

• Options
    edited June 7, 2022 1:46PM

@CardGeek said:
    If you submit to PSA you risk having your cards damaged. Risk getting back inaccurately graded cards. I think PSA used to be top of the heap. Now I'd put them at number 3 or 4. Beckett has the best cases. SGC seems to be the most respected. In that nobody has anything bad to say about SGC. I've watched this board for like 2 years straight every day. Nobody has bad stuff to say about SGC. PSA seems to be right on the same path as Beckett. Down hill slope. SGC is probably the best value out there. CSG is a total crapshoot, but, may be better than giving your stuff to PSA. PSA isn't the same company it was even a couple years ago. 30 dollar value got posted just so they could run the clock on subscriptions.

For me SCG is to pricey.. $125+ to get a card graded is insane. Seriously, if I am going to pay that, I am going to with the most popular company and the one that is going to get me the best return if I sale.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@DougGlatt said:

@CardGeek said:

For me SCG is to pricey.. $125+ to get a card graded is insane. Seriously, if I am going to pay that, I am going to with the most popular company and the one that is going to get me the best return if I sale.

Doug, what are you talking about? What company are you referring to and what is the $125 you are referring to?

• Options
    edited June 7, 2022 6:40PM

@Mickey71 said:

@DougGlatt said:

@CardGeek said:

Doug, what are you talking about? What company are you referring to and what is the $125 you are referring to?

Sorry, SGC is charging 125 for single card fast grading.. That is too much IMO

Even 75 for a week-10 day turn around if too much

https://www.gosgc.com/card-grading/services-pricing

CSG is 20.00 and I get my stuff back in 10 days.

I just sent two soccer cards from 2018 to them on June 1st and they shipped from their facility today.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Blomberg looks like he just spotted a Black Mamba on the ground in front of him. LOL Too funny.

Or was a contestant on Chris Hansen to catch a predator

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DougGlatt said:

@Mickey71 said:

@DougGlatt said:

@CardGeek said:

I just sent two soccer cards from 2018 to them on June 1st and they shipped from their facility today.

CSG is a good company. If they slabbed sports and concert tickets, I would send to them.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Same thing with packs, but let's not forget they are merely a year old and should continue to grow. I went to show a few weeks ago and saw a ton of CSG slabs, it was actually very cool, so seems like people are using them.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@DougGlatt said:
    Same thing with packs, but let's not forget they are merely a year old and should continue to grow. I went to show a few weeks ago and saw a ton of CSG slabs, it was actually very cool, so seems like people are using them.

Yes, people will have to give CSG so time to tighten up standards. I've viewed some of their vintage grades and some of it is way off lenient and I'm thinking PSA 2005 standards as a baseline. This will be the key for them....they will need to become accurate/fair graders and they could very well do great.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like SGC but they generally go for a grade lower price when you go to sell.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

More data to throw out there: My last 3 SGC orders completed in 25, 23, and 18 calendar days respectively. At $30 a card.

• Options

I dropped off my cards last week with Joe at Got Baseball Cards. 150 cards, 140 of T206s and 10
    Topps, pre 1975. $23/card. Approximately 5 week turn around. I'm good with that. I'll try to show
    some of the results. This time I went with SGC. The t206s are 2,3 and 4s. While nothing rare, I did
    this for the basic protection the slab provides.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I own T-206's in both. SGC looks better for those in my opinion.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I will be sending my cards to CSG from now on. A year wait is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@bobbybakeriv said:
    I will be sending my cards to CSG from now on. A year wait is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Make sure to factor in the resale value of CSG in the same grade as PSA. it is likely your year wait was from their backlog that is becoming more current.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 7:52PM

@bobbybakeriv said:

My first exposure to the card was on the cover of this book, then I started to pick up different 1975 versions:

Fun read BTW.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2022 5:17AM

CSG might be grading close to accurately on higher grade items, but for low ones, I find it unacceptably ridiculous that they are handing grades out to sticker cards such as Panini that have been peeled and album-removed. It would be great to see peeled items graded by all the top grading companies in holders that deemed them Authentic, but this grade system CSG has in place doesn't work. Here is an example of a peeled one in a holder, and as you can see, it is not a situation where it accidentally made it through grading but should not have. The label says 2.5 but also specifically notes that it is missing the backing. Sorry, but that is a big 1-star/thumbs-down/unsubscribe red flag IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363870410243?hash=item54b85dd603:g:i6IAAOSwQB1ig5lU&nma=true&si=7x7dl3phITU8NdkoP1UySBYFyJg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options

@secretstash said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

Make sure to factor in the resale value of CSG in the same grade as PSA. it is likely your year wait was from their backlog that is becoming more current.

And let us not forget CSG is a new company that is growing. As I said, the last show I went to I saw more CSG Slabs then anyone outside PSA.. I fully expect CSG slabs will get more love in the next year.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

I’ve found that most hardcore prewar collectors, particularly tobacco era issues, prefer SGC for their PC.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.