Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin roll hunting surprise finds

JWPJWP Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went through 30 rolls of nickels this weekend and found the usual 1969s and 1970s Nickels. Of course I found a Canadian nickel which is okay because I like the Canadian coins. The lucky find was a 1945 Philadelphia War nickel and it is in its usual grimy circulated condition for a 35% silver nickel. What really caught me by surprise was when I came across a 1976 s Proof Nickel. Once again it is in pretty bad shape however just finding a Proof Nickel in a circulated roll is nice. I have come across proof coins coin roll hunting before, but this is the first time I have found a nickel. This is what I like about coin roll hunting, it's like a box of chocolates you never know what you might find. Good luck all you coin roll hunting fanatics. B)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds... I have never roll searched nickels.... Have not heard of it done very often here on the forum. I bet there are some treasures out there hiding in rolls. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice finds... I have never roll searched nickels.... Have not heard of it done very often here on the forum. I bet there are some treasures out there hiding in rolls. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

I've found 10 war nickels in the last 6 months in rolls from the bank. You can spot these very easy from the dingy discoloration. It gives this old fart something to do. I've found 25 W quarters in the last 14 months from bank rolls also.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is always good to find unusual items when roll searching or just in change. I received a proof 1968-S nickel in change about a week ago.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    It is always good to find unusual items when roll searching or just in change. I received a proof 1968-S nickel in change about a week ago.

A month ago I got a WV proof silver quarter in change from ALDI's. It was really beat up-but it was free silver for 25 cents. I always check my change and my wife does too.

I got a box of half dollars at the credit union this afternoon. I found the normal clad JFK's as I expected. What I didn't expect was and three separate rules I found a total of 38 2021 half dollars. Unbelievable, people won't put anything back into circulation even when these half dollars can be only purchased from the mint and not found in regular circulation. Got lucky again. :p:)

• GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    I got a box of half dollars at the credit union this afternoon. I found the normal clad JFK's as I expected. What I didn't expect was and three separate rules I found a total of 38 2021 half dollars. Unbelievable, people won't put anything back into circulation even when these half dollars can be only purchased from the mint and not found in regular circulation. Got lucky again. :p:)

I thought it was concluded that some of the 2021s were struck and released into circulation. Many full rolls have been found by folks roll searching

@GoldenEgg These 38 were all D and came out of 3 different rolls. I never knew until recently that the bank/CU could even order a box of halves. I asked and they said they would do it for me. I have ordered a P&D box of the 2 rolls from the USM the last 2 years, I have never seen the mint offer S rolls. The "S" JFK's are exclusive to the clad/silver proof sets. I've never heard about "S" halve dollars being release into circulation. I guess anything is possible with this current mint.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg said:

@JWP said:

I thought it was concluded that some of the 2021s were struck and released into circulation. Many full rolls have been found by folks roll searching

The 2021 Kennedy half dollars are not NIFC's and can easily be found in circulation.

@rec78 said:

@GoldenEgg said:

@JWP said:

The 2021 Kennedy half dollars are not NIFC's and can easily be found in circulation.
    how many have you found in circulation?

edited June 4, 2022 12:17PM

@JWP said:

@rec78 said:

@GoldenEgg said:

@JWP said:

how many have you found in circulation?

Thousands, I search $2000 face value half dollars every week. You can get all you want. I kept one roll and put all the rest back. The NIFC years are 2002-2020 and 1987. I do not yet know if 2022's are going to be NIFC's. The 2021's were meant for general circulation.

@rec78 Redbook page 218 ,note d list 2021 as an NIFC (not intended for circulation). I think you need to argue with Redbook not me.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    @rec78 Redbook page 218 ,note d list 2021 as an NIFC (not intended for circulation). I think you need to argue with Redbook not me.

That was the assumption but it has been confirmed that coins were delivered to the Fed for distribution. The Redbook is published well in advance so they had no way of knowing.

I also found a nice 2003 Din the box from the CU. This is also a NIFC too. Some one could have dumped a cut open Mint set and many other possibilities. It happens just like the mint minted too many coins and just decided to dump them. They still were NIFC.

@JWP said:

I am not arguing. Just informing you that you are not correct. A lot of early commems were not NIFC's either but were put in circulation when they did not sell well.
    I will sell you all you want (2021 half dollars P mint) at face value plus postage.

@JWP said:
    I also found a nice 2003 Din the box from the CU. This is also a NIFC too. Some one could have dumped a cut open Mint set and many other possibilities. It happens just like the mint minted too many coins and just decided to dump them. They still were NIFC.

You could buy rolls of the NIFC dates 2002-2020 from the mint. A lot of people would buy rolls and open them in hopes of finding errors or try to find high grade ones to send to the graders or putting sets of Kennedy half dollar together. The ones that did not meet the standard they just put back in circulation. I found rolls of every date and mintmark of all the NIFC dates.
    The mintages for 2021 Kennedy's are:
    P- 5,400,000
    D-7,700,000
    For that matter the mintages for the 2013 and 2018 Kennedy's are quite high for NIFC dates.

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I have 640 2021 D Kennedy's from the last two boxes I have searched. I put them aside and will keep only the best after I go through them. I already put aside one that appears to be MS 68. I have even more of the 2018 D's that I need to go through as well. Cheers.

• sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I went to the bank to get a roll of Half Dollars, and the teller gave me a 1941 Walking Liberty Silver Half - Kindness of Heart !

Wow that is really incredible. I think the melt value on that 90% Walker is around $8 or more. What a fantastic pick up. B)

I want to take 14 rolls of quarters last night and the third quarter in the first roll what is a West Point order. It was number 26 today. Now back to the bank this coming week and get some more. Happy Hunting guys they're still out there. B)

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nickels are probably my favorite ones to roll search. I have lots of Whitman folders in various stages of completion this way.

@erwindoc said:
    Nickels are probably my favorite ones to roll search. I have lots of Whitman folders in various stages of completion this way.

My search Nickles also. I pull out all day 30 40s 50s 60s and 70s. I'm saving them for my grandkids when they decide to start collecting coins. I also look for the war Nickles. I found close to two dozen in the last year pulling them out of circulation rolls. Happy Hunting. :)

Just got done going through a box of nickels that I got from the credit union this morning. I found a 1936 Buffalo and 2 War Nickels, 43P & 45P. It is hard to believe but these War nickels are still in circulation. Happy Hunting guys. :)

Just went through a box of nipples and found a 1943 P War nickel and a buffalo nickel it's either a 1926 or 1928. Both nickels and rather bad shape, but that's to be expected for their age and where. All I can say is free silver. Them there War nickels are still out there guys. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file