Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grades back- economy submission 20 coins- grades posted- Panama is here

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2022 12:41PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

The intent is merely to illustrate what is possible. The submission is well out of my comfort zone in terms of countries I collect. However, there are some general themes that are noteworthy- here goes:

-Collecting coins does not have to be expensive to be enjoyable;
-Quality exists at various grade levels and budgets can be met based on choices...
-Simply stated... not everything needs to be a GEM to capture the essence of a coin; and
-Art, history and design resonates throughout the world... explore what exists

I suspect some might have an interest in grades. I will add grades. I am pleased with the PCGS photography and the images as well as the grades. There is one coin that did get a details grade. Feel free to opine as to which coin received the details grade... I agree with the PCGS assessment- I made a mistake.

Take some time to enjoy all of what World Coins have to offer- Best Wishes in your collecting endeavors

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure your tastes and grading skills have evolved since you likely submitted your newly graded economy submission in 2018.

• Options

For those keeping score as to the timetables, this submission was submitted in person at Baltimore on 11-20-21; received on 11-30 and the grades posted on 4-5 and returned on 4-8.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2022 12:46PM

So these are the last of the 20- two 1947 Balboa coins which I believe were struck at Philadelphia

1947... MS66

1947... MS66

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard type to find in such a high grade, beautiful Balboa!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 11:24AM

Very impressive 1947 Panama Balboa coin. I bet it’s a low pop too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 12:01PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Very impressive 1947 Panama Balboa coin. I bet it’s a low pop too

>

There are 2 in the sub, both 66. Looking at the pop reports, there appear to be 2 66+ graded coins, but 66 is the highest numerical grade for this year. Personally, i think the second coin should've been a 66+

• Options

There are some interesting components that I contemplated with these two coins- I knew there were no 67s graded by our host and not all that many that graded 66. The obverses for both look better in hand than in the image- and they are nice images. The second coin submitted has the better obverse and it is probably among the best I have seen for the date. So with both of these coins the question becomes the reverse and does the reverse preclude a grade higher than 66? And the likely grading rationale by our host was that the reverses on both coins fall short of 67 and even 66+. Both are still nice and somewhat of a condition rarity.

My point in the write up is simply that the reverse of a coin will not carry a grade. I thought the second was a lock 66-had a shot at 66+ and the obverse might be compelling enough to carry a 67 which did not happen- but I am not disappointed.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the second one looks a lot better than the first one in PCGS photo.