Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So-Called Taft Dollar Sells for $25!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2022 11:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This Taft Dollar was going to close in a few days and was up over $500 before the listing was cancelled and replaced with a BIN for $25.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154949232452

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that seems strange... I wonder why they did that?? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

WTF!?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is tough to know if a listing actually completes successfully and the buyer gets the item and/or the bid/bin is legit.

the account seems ok and the item was bought at auction with a low bin. i thought the BIN at auction had to be a lot more than the opening bid? perhaps someone can see something i am overlooking. bids - completed/sold

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    it is tough to know if a listing actually completes successfully and the buyer gets the item and/or the bid/bin is legit.

the account seems ok and the item was bought at auction with a low bin. i thought the BIN at auction had to be a lot more than the opening bid? perhaps someone can see something i am overlooking. bids - completed/sold

What you might be overlooking is that according to the first post “This Taft Dollar was going to close in a few days and was up over $500 before the listing was cancelled and replaced with a BIN for $25.”
    Assuming that was the case, perhaps there was no “opening bid”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone probably made an off eBay offer that the seller took. He then still listed it as a low bin to make it not look like the transaction was taken off eBay (if so, not the best strategy as the 25 sale looks suspicious-although it might not to the eBay algorithm).

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can’t trust the eBay page. It actually sold for $2200. I am not the buyer or seller.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    You can’t trust the eBay page. It actually sold for $2200. I am not the buyer or seller.

How can you tell?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2022 10:33AM

@Zoins said:

@GoldenEgg said:

How can you tell?

i don't see any other sale besides the $25 one from the seller's completed/sold list or just a general search for the item. i do recall that using different ebay site extensions got us different results a long time ago .com/.ca/.de etc. perhaps using an external search site or terapeak. only other thing outside those i can think of is it sold on a different account with a different title name. of course then searching by just generic SCD type listings sorted by highest sold.

anything outside those parameters is outside my experience/creativity, unless i'm missing something simple like i did with the op statement earlier.

edited to add. here is a search via watchcount - http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php?bkw=1909+Commemorative+WM&amp;bcat=0&amp;bcts=&amp;sfsb=Show+Me!&amp;csbin=all&amp;cssrt=ts&amp;bslr=&amp;bnp=&amp;bxp=#serp -
    search criteria: 1909 Commemorative WM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@GoldenEgg said:

How can you tell?

Terapeak

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

This happens when you list something on bids but accept best offers. Someone made a offer before any bids were placed the second time.
    Will show that it sold at the starting price every time.

• Options
    Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

That Taft Dollar is missing the gold plating. All the ones I have seen don't look like this one. It might come back "cleaned" and not make it into a holder. But, since the ones in holders are $10K, then $2K might be a reasonable sale.

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• Options
    1patwick1patwick Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I had bid over $500. on this medal and was watching it daily with the intention to purchase. It had four days remaining when the auction was pulled from eBay. To say the least, I am deeply frustrated.

• Options
    edited April 19, 2022 12:54PM

@1patwick said:
    I had bid over $500. on this medal and was watching it daily with the intention to purchase. It had four days remaining when the auction was pulled from eBay. To say the least, I am deeply frustrated.

It's a super rare piece so I was excited to see it offered.

Someone knows how to wheel and deal to win!

Not me, but some people know how to be aggressive.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shock and awe definitely works on some sellers. Sometimes to their detriment, sometimes not.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1patwick said: To say the least, I am deeply frustrated.

You should probably be grateful. In my opinion, this isn't a very nice example from an Exposition which didn't offer much in the way of attractive medals. They all seem to rely on the "three sisters" design and have never appealed to me, although I do have a Utah Dollar.

• Options
    Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

@1patwick said: To say the least, I am deeply frustrated.

You should probably be grateful. In my opinion, this isn't a very nice example

I think the piece has problems... it's missing the gold plating... and the high points on the obverse are worn down... so it grades Cleaned AU ?

Here's an MS-63:

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file