Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Im Not Sure If I Should Return This Coin Or Not.

I recently bought this Alexander the Great Tetradrachm off a local dealer of mine and I'm not sure if I still want to keep it or not.

First of all this coin looked absolutely stunning when I saw it and I knew that I wanted it when I first saw it (WOW).

But after examining this coin in person for a while after I bought it, I realized that the edge filing was alot worse then what was originally shown in the photos.

The entire edge all the way around the coin has been perfectly squared off possibly with a modern angle grinder of some sorts. This coin at one point was used probably in a jewelry piece of some sorts where it must of had to fit perfectly round inside of a bezel and made into a necklace.

Im just making this post knowing whether or not this kind of thing is common in the market or not and if collectors would really call this a dealbreaker if they where interested in the coin.

When I first saw the coin listed, it had 16 watchers on Ebay. (16 WATCHERS!!!!) And I had an urge to snag it as soon as I possibly could.

Now that I'm reconsidering my purchase and wondering if I should go and get my money back or not, I fear that If I do actually return the coin that the dealer would turn right back around and sell it to someone who will happily pay their full asking price for it even with how bad the edge filing is. (I PAID $350 FOR IT)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324728937647

Here's also a side pic attached so there's a better understanding of what I'm talking about.
(It continues all the way around the edge of the entire coin)

Comments

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancients are tricky, loads of fakes all over the place.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not fake, but if you're not happy with the coin, send it back. You're the one that has to live with it. It isn't like the coin is rare.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not want that coin.

However, I am much more forgiving of damage to ancient or medieval coins than to more modern ones.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say return it otherwise you will have that sic feeling keeping it

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the fact that you are asking this question I’d say that the answer is self-evident.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

You already know what you want to do and are just looking for justification and support from this group. Go ahead and return it and what do you care if the dealer sells it again? There is no fraud, deceit or malpractice here.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a reputable seller, and a generous return policy. It will eat at you. So return it and save up and get one without that problem.

It's a shame that those rims are like that, but it is a full disclosure situation and nbd if the seller tries again. There is no deceit going on for when the seller re-lists it. It's not a coin doctor situation where a coin is messed with in order to fool someone into thinking it's better. It is a well disclosed damage and absolutely no harm in selling it for what it literally says on the label.

And I totally agree with @Nap -- I'm way more forgiving of 'flaws' on ancients and medieval types. For medals too. Shoot I'm probably about to drop a bid on something scratched--would never do on a more modern piece but for some items it's okay. Like if it's been around the block for 500 years or so.

That said, that degree of rim filing would drive me nuts too. Not for me at any price as I'd rather save up for a nicer piece. But other people have other dealbreaker points and that rim may not bother them (or they may be plunking it into a pendant so don't care what the rims look like).

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Return it. The problem is just going to look worse and worse as time passes.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can I would return it as well.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL