Home Metal Detecting
Options

Places in Utah to metal detect?

I'm quite jealous of the guys on the East coast, a lot of cool stuff seems to be found every day there. I've only found a couple of cool items but nothing valuable like a key date coin or such. Does anyone know anywhere in Utah where you can find interesting things? There is an abandoned railroad mine 50 or so miles from me, and that is where I am planning to go next, but I would like to know if there are any other places with history behind them that could produce cool finds. Around Duchesne, Uintah, Daggett, Summit, or even Wasatch and Carbon county are preferable but I would love to hear any site you could think of.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DirectorKrennic... I have never detected in Utah. However, I have detected in AZ and CA. CA was mostly local. However, in AZ I would go out in the desert and look for old minor cabins/camps or abandoned mine sites. Sometimes the mine sites had (for a short time) a good population around them - not a city, but a settlement while the mine was hot. Those can produce coins or sometimes small nuggets - or even artifacts. I am sure Utah must have some similar areas. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @DirectorKrennic... I have never detected in Utah. However, I have detected in AZ and CA. CA was mostly local. However, in AZ I would go out in the desert and look for old minor cabins/camps or abandoned mine sites. Sometimes the mine sites had (for a short time) a good population around them - not a city, but a settlement while the mine was hot. Those can produce coins or sometimes small nuggets - or even artifacts. I am sure Utah must have some similar areas. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

Hey! Thanks for the info, the one thing about Utah is that the ground is so hard to crack open, so much rocks and bedrock make it hard to dig unless its a cultivated field or something.