Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What’s the best way to clean Morgan dollars?

Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited April 18, 2022 3:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Over time my Morgan dollars started turning purple and rainbow color. I want to clean that pesky contamination off. I tried using sandpaper and tried scraping it off. On another coin, I used windex. What do you guys use?

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Power washer - 3,500 psi works well.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sandblasting frosts them up real nice. ;)

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the post date....Nope not April 1st.

EZest IF you must.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Glass beading would even out that pesky cartwheel.
    Media blast with plastic pellets might be the ticket.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I use a belt sander, Then I buff them to fine finish. Thats will do the trick, then sell them on Ebay as MS67!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rock tumbler, heavy grit.
    Don't forget to check on them within a couple of weeks.

:neutral:

peacockcoins

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Steel wool works wonders

• Options

Teeth whitening toothpaste with microbeads, if you can find it. They're getting hard to find!

'

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2022 11:40PM

Well you certainly wouldn't want to use an abrasive object like sandpaper or toothbrush as that will damage the surface.

Try a chemical dip/bath instead. I recommend nitric acid overnight.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2022 11:40PM

Stanley steamer wercs well

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why bother cleaning them? I thought your stance on Morgans was that they were the biggest scam in the hobby.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    Over time my Morgan dollars started turning purple and rainbow color. I want to clean that pesky contamination off. I tried using sandpaper and tried scraping it off. On another coin, I used windex. What do you guys use?

Great. We needed another troll. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this is not what I expected for the first thread I opened today.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Put it in the microwave for a couple minutes, but make sure you have a welding helmet on if you plan on watching it. B)

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks all... I just developed a twitch reading all this "advice."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, over 50 years ago one of my boyhood friends was convinced that he could improve his silver dollars (he had some good ones like the 1889 CC (and the 1903-O before it became common)) and make some real money. He lived with his aunt who was a doctor and she had connections. He borrowed an ultrasonic machine from their dentist to clean the coins. Last I heard he broke the machine and his dentist was mad at him.

That's the last time I saw him. Any guesses as to how the coins would have turned out?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2022 8:40AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

exactly, why else would they sandblast dies?

if the mints can use that process to take bs dies/coins and turn them into amazing matte proofs, why can't we?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ajax works wonders.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Says not use on silver but what the heck, go for it.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's really gnarly crud, I put the Morgan in a bench vise, tighten the vise as much as I can, and go after it with a sharpened cold chisel.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I’ve seen Sweet accomplish this on a couple occasions. They turn out real nice! I usually just use the old fashioned phosphoric acid with a Brillo pad. Nothing shinier!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe people either fell for this or were just so bored, and thought they were SOOOOOO funny, that this thread is still going.
    Sad....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

This discussion has been closed.