Home Sports Talk
Options

Most stupid expression in baseball

As I watch MLB games, I often hear the announcer/color-commentator analyzing a batter's swing after hitting a homer. They'll say "He just dropped the head (of the bat) on it and it went a long way." That expression seems ridiculous to me! After playing baseball all the way through high school, I hit a lot of home runs back in the day -- but I never "just dropped the head on it". Level swings can result in homers, but NOT just dropping the head of the bat through the hitting zone. What a stupid expression!!

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

"A squibber" down the line".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

a frozen rope to the gap

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can of corn.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Batter blasts a Mantleesque homer, and as he watches it
    fly into orbit the genius calling the game states, "And he knew it"

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Humpback liner

• Options

@Dave99B said:
    Can of corn.

Dave

Fran Healy loved that phrase when he announced games.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

One you don't hear much anymore:A "Texas Leaguer".

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rhubarb

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't give him anything to hit, but don't walk him.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Unwritten rule”

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Thanks for all the comments guys, but most of you missed my point: "Dropping the head on it" is WRONG, and would never result in a homer.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Willie Stargell

You have a round bat and a round ball and yet they tell you to hit it square !!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chin music!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pepper

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    Thanks for all the comments guys, but most of you missed my point: "Dropping the head on it" is WRONG, and would never result in a homer.

I think you are looking for "inaccurate" baseball expressions. Your example is a good one.

I can't think of any great examples. Maybe "hit the cover off the ball" as that is no longer possible, but obviously stems from a time when it was.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every batter has a , what I call his or her handcuff spot. You know when someone tosses an object to you and due to a glitch in your ability in that exact spot what was required just can't happen.
    Simply, their weight, height, and the swing motion.
    Takes about 10 seconds.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Willie Stargell

You have a round bat and a round ball and yet they tell you to hit it square !!!

How many different players has this quote been attributed to?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Back to the box!"

The pitcher's mound has not been a box for well over a century.

@thisistheshow said:

@charliej2356 said:

I think you are looking for "inaccurate" baseball expressions. Your example is a good one.

I can't think of any great examples. Maybe "hit the cover off the ball" as that is no longer possible, but obviously stems from a time when it was.

Back in "olden times," the cheap skate owners tried to play the whole game with one ball. The thing would end up lopsided and black from tobacco juice. It must have been disgusting. In the late innings you were probably lucky if you could hit it out of the infield. It was probably a hunk of mush by then.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

In the "wheelhouse"

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Office Politics is now a household phrase. (Whatever)

• Options

"kangaroo court"

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭

Ghost Runner. The concept is dumb I know...but why do they call it a "Ghost Runner" when you can still see him?

When we were kids playing a pick up game and didn't have enough players to fill the bases and still have a batter, you took the runner off base when his turn came up to bat and you had a 'ghost runner' in his spot and had to remember there was a runner there.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    Ghost Runner. The concept is dumb I know...but why do they call it a "Ghost Runner" when you can still see him?

When we were kids playing a pick up game and didn't have enough players to fill the bases and still have a batter, you took the runner off base when his turn came up to bat and you had a 'ghost runner' in his spot and had to remember there was a runner there.

I think I remember using that term this way as well. If not in baseball, at least when playing kickball. Not sure, it's been a long time.