Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to deal with making a bad purchase

I recently downloaded the APMEX app and I purchased a "Sacramento Assayer Hoard California Gold Dust 1.5grams. I thought it was cool and I was in a hurry so I just made an impulse purchase. It cost $187.99. The next day I wasn't quite as busy and I looked on eBay and these are going for about 139.00 on eBay. Looks like I made a bad purchase. How do you guys deal with this mentally?

It seems like I could never break even on this purchase in the future.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NIPSZX said:
    It seems like I could never break even on this purchase in the future.

It sounds like you're asking for advice on how to invest. Internet message boards are not where I would go for this sort of thing.

• Options
    NIPSZXNIPSZX Posts: 79 ✭✭

@streeter said:
    Analyze your decision process before you make your next purchase.
    In a hurry, why?
    Unfamiliar product? Why?
    Pricing discovery after purchase, why?
    Apmex. For non bullion? Apmex normally does not leave money on the table.

Need to break even, why?

It was just a random impulse buy but I'd like for the item to go up in value but when you pay a 30% Mark up it's difficult.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does APMEX allow returns?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's barely a blip on the radar. Cheap compared to some of the stories I've heard here, if I remember correctly someone threw away (literally) a PF67 Stella once.

How to get over it? Read, read, read. Buy the book before the coin. When you as the buyer know more than the seller does, that's when your number of bad purchases goes down drastically. It also will cut you down on impulse buys until you truly know what you're looking for. Find an area of the hobby to specialize in rather than randomly buying stuff.

And a bit of advice. I'm young, but I learned this early on so it's done me very well. Don't expect your coins/purchases to go up in value. It's a hobby, and unless you really, really know how to grade and have years of experience you will only lose money trying. Yes, sometimes it happens, but when it does it's either because someone knew what they were doing or they got lucky.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that most of us did something roughly similar at some point.

But, being in a hurry and being impulsive are a dangerous combination. ;)

Take it as a lesson learned and it will be worth the tuition. Otherwise, there will be more similar disappointments in the future.

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 4:59PM

Buy another one at the cheaper price, then you can split the difference and only have paid an avg inbetween the two prices. Live and learn.

Or if you subscribe to the “everything is free” pie in the sky with pigs flying mentality—when in doubt, just go outside to your money $$$ tree and pull off a few bills. It works all the time for me.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think anyone ever comes out on top on an impulse buy.
    Keep it and enjoy it or sell it and move on. I hate paying more than I have to, also, but it happens to everyone eventually (and usually repeatedly if given enough chances).

• Options

@JBK said:
    BTW, with all due respect, you are still not doing your homework. :)

The $139 is at the very low end of what is on ebay now. They go all the way up to $200, and the APMEX ones on ebay are more than what you paid.

If you look at completed auctions the cheapest sold listing is $139 and the highest is just under $200.

So, you didn't overpay quite as much as you might think you did.

Thanks for the positivity.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tuition pId, move on

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t dwell on it - in the grand scheme, this is a very small amount of money and at the end of the day you arguably paid the going retail price.

If you can’t stop thinking about it and it’s bothering you, I suggest selling it on EBay if you can’t return it.

As far as investing, making a profit or breaking even you either need to buy cheap (not at retail prices) or wait and hope prices go up.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of us have had losses over $1000 on what could be characterized as "bad decisions". In the case of false advertising, mis-representation or fraud, you may have other options. You did not do your due diligence to find out real market values. I got the US mint catalogue where many of the prices are over high retail which you see with many other sellers.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NIPSZX Did you call APMEX to see if they allow returns?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    @NIPSZX Did you call APMEX to see if they allow returns?

They actually shipped the order out this morning. I guess I could email support

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people waste more than that on tchotchkes on vacation. I’ve been there and done that as well. In my case it was a Mexican 2 peso gold coin I overpaid for. I just put it away and remember to be more careful next time. :)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Restocking fee may be just as bad. Have fun be safe we have all done it and I do it once a month.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is always a spread between buying and selling. You bought a neat collectable you can enjoy owning

I've always been attracted to gold nuggets and but, they do sell for over melt. In your case, the residual value will always be there. And if gold doubles in price as some say it will, you'll start making money.

1.5 grams = 0.0482261 troy ounce x $2,000 = $96.45

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collecting is a hobby for me... part of my entertainment budget. Occasionally, I might get a windfall and treat myself, but for the most part, I treat it like going to the movies. Unlike the movies, I'll likely get a little bit of my coin money back... I'll never see a dime back from a crappy movie or dinner out...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

You can’t change the past. What you do next is what matters. Learn from your mistake and don’t repeat it. Apply what you learned to making purchases outside coins.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NIPSZX .... Relax... Things could be much worse... as indicated above. Gold may increase in value significantly and you will be in a break even situation or maybe even profit. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2022 6:03AM

$40. All this because of $40? I’m sorry.
    Cat and beaver started reading with out me and I found them rolling on the floor, laughing so hard they were crying 🙀🦫
    They weren’t laughing at you, they were laughing at me! 🤨
    Seems they think I’m the poster child for this kind of purchase and they think your a winner.
    Stinkin critters 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2022 6:59AM

live and learn from your mistakes

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you could do it like so many others who want to shift blame and not accept responsibility for their actions. Stomp feet, throw temper tantrum. Go on a smear campaign. ( just kidding on that last suggestion).

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or hold on to it, who knows. I bought these two 1.5 grams of gold vials in 2002. Not a bad investment, as it turns out. I've done far worse.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jackpine20jackpine20 Posts: 139 ✭✭✭✭

Paying over book value is not so bad if you love what you get. Others' hesitancy becomes your opportunity. You may soon see this as an opportunity. But if it still bothers you over time, sell it and don't look back.

Matt Snebold

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go on to the next thing and remind myself not to rush next time.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

I'm starting to wonder if the look of the gold dust matters. Do you think that if the chunks are larger, they hold more premium compared to dust? It seems like the smaller the grain dust, the lesser they sell for on eBay. And the larger the chunks, the higher the price. Would this be true?

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Learn by your mistake and move on.

Exactly this, life is too short to lament every mistake in life :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let it go, refocus, learning from one's poor decisions is a great opportunity to get it right the next time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NIPSZX said:
    I'm starting to wonder if the look of the gold dust matters. Do you think that if the chunks are larger, they hold more premium compared to dust? It seems like the smaller the grain dust, the lesser they sell for on eBay. And the larger the chunks, the higher the price. Would this be true?

There are a lot of gold nugget dealers on the internet - Gold Nuggets. - with educational websites. Have fun checking them out.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

No worse than making a bad stock trade or paying too much for a car and finding out it was less in the next town…just move on and do better next time!

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Just return it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file