Home U.S. Coin Forum

1995-D DDO?

If this is a DDO it's one of the weirdest I've seen. Has anyone seen any errors like this? https://photos.app.goo.gl/MdZnZeR258qFbdgc8https://photos.app.goo.gl/PoDW6khFY2CyABbt9https://photos.app.goo.gl/WjGr6cjPjt5Vo2cs6

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Answers

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any pictures but based on past experience with these sorts of threads, I'm going with DD-NO.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I see is a normal cent with zinc rot. ;)

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 10:58AM

But the "5" and the "W" look like clear doubling?...

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    But the "5" and the "W" look like clear doubling?...

a) No they don't

b) A doubled die by definition was created by doubling the die. That's what the words say, and that's what the words mean. Please discuss how it would be possible for to have a doubled die with with doubling on only two characters on the entire die

• Oh well. Yet another crushing defeat in my search for a truly unique coin that may impact my life positively. And the search continues.

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are wasting your time searching when you have no idea what to search for. Every thread you have started claiming to have found a DD has in fact been simple strike doubling or die deterioration doubling. Until you educate yourself on how coins are made and how a doubled die happens all you will find is the same junk you have found.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

My own approach is that searchers should make a list of known DDs and then scrutinize coins they come across that are those dates/mm.

Looming for DDs on random coins is a huge waste of time for most people.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

"a truly unique coin that may impact my life positively."

Chances of that happening with a minor doubled die on a circulated cent is not good. ;)

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    Oh well. Yet another crushing defeat in my search for a truly unique coin that may impact my life positively. And the search continues.

Here is my "truly unique coin". It's a 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel. I found it in a box of new nickels.

It is ultra-rare and is no doubt the best thing I could ever hope to find. Finding it was possible because I knew what sorts of things to look for and what sorts of things to ignore. By not spending time on the wrong things I could generate volume.

It's all about focusing your efforts.

As I sometimes say, if you want to find rare or valuable coins, look at more coins, don't at your coins more closely.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins.... Buy the books (Cherry Pickers Guide, Redbook and more), visit the websites recommended...Study the minting process. Cheers, RickO

• Thanks Ricko and JBK. Y'all are helpful and nice. I appreciate the words and advice. 🤫

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file