Home U.S. Coin Forum

Recent Find: 1922 S Peace Dollar Flip Double Struck

I recently acquired a 1922 S Peace Dollar graded MS65. This coin had some features that caught my eye. After a bit of studying the coin, photography and creating cutaway overlays - I am certain that I have a 1922 S Peace Dollar Flip Double Struck Graded MS65. The coin was graded MS65 by NGC, but was not noted as double struck.

I am attaching two photos of my overlay work. The overlays are animated gifs comprised of two frames. The first frame is the coin itself without any modification. The second frame is the coin with the cutaway overlay projected on top in the correct orientation. The first frame shows the second or final strike. The second frame shows the orientation of the first strike which was subsequently overstruck.

My first thought was "die clash", but then I noticed that many of the features are not limited to the fields of the coin on either side. The raised elements of the coin show many pressed out features from the other side of the coin design. The raise features of coins are created using recessed engravings (voids) in the dies. When two dies clash together without a planchet the fields come into contact with each other. That contact does not include the recessed areas of the engraved portions of the die - since nothing exists there to clash with.

Below are some of the most interesting evidence of the coin being double struck:

Obverse:
1. "PEACE" is visible between the "I" and "B" in LIBERTY on the obverse side.
2. "DOLLAR" or portions of it are visible at the eye of Liberty.
3. The suns rays of the reverse design extend across the face of Liberty and across the hair of Liberty.
4. The "E" of "E PLURIBUS" from the reverse design can be seen in both the field and hair of the obverse design.

REVERSE:
1. Engraver's mark from the obverse design can be seen crowning the eagles head.
2. The "eye" of lady Liberty from the obverse design can be seen directly above the "D" in "DOLLAR".
3. The 1922 date can be seen in both the fields and across the raised features of the lettering in those areas.
4. The imprint of the area of lady Liberties crown can be seen in the eagles raised body area.

Because many of the first strike imprints are visible in both the fields and the raised features, I conclude that this cannot be a case of die clash and is the result of a flip double strike in collar. Also, there is a significant amount of degrees of rotation between the first strike and second strike.

What do you all think of this coin and the evidence presented? Please see the attached photos. Thanks in advance for comments and thoughts.

Obverse:

Reverse:

Comments

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    Welcome to the forum! :)

Great overlays, most new members can't even post a photo. ;)

Now make it stop..... it's giving me seizures and making me sick. :s

And I can't see where it was supposed to be double struck. :/

I thought someone might ask for still images! :)

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I thought someone might ask for still images!"

:D:D:D

Thanks for the still images. ;):)

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. :/

It will generally show more of the design elements, look through a few of these listings. ;)
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=flip+over&_sacat=11116

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing it, either.

Great photos and graphics. But I suspect you stared at the coin too much. I also suspect that a major error might not have gone unnoticed by the grader.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see it either 🙁

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos but I see nothing but a very ordinary Peace Dollar.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 8:19AM

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NateInSav .... Welcome aboard. Great pictures and great overlays. I do not see the evidence in the still shots. If you are convinced it is, send it in for reconsideration with your pictures. Cheers, RickO

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody needs to buy a protractor for the grading services. @LindyS Great coin but it appears more like 80 percent rotated. I have a coin graded across the street that has a rotated reverse 120 degrees and on the holder it says 60 degrees. Didnt we all learn this in elementary school with protractors.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP, Your images are 9 inches across on my screen and I see no evidence of ghosting from a flip over double strike. One of your pick up points mentioned, the eye of Liberty above the D in DOLLAR is much farther south in your overlay than the anomaly in the field above the D. That eye detail should be well on top of the D. Not seeing it.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, no

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a double strike.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

just a common peace dollar nothing special

• Thanks to everyone for your comments. I suppose I have the benefit of having the coin in my hand and my surface inspection microscope. Pictures only go so far which is why no grading company will certify any coin based on photos alone.

Based on your comments, I am thinking my next step is to send two coins to the lab - this one and a coin with no noted anomalies for 3D surface mapping using a white light interferometer. The white light interferometers have nanometer level accuracies, precision and can create 3D surface models of objects. With surface models of a "common" Peace Dollar versus the one documented here, the two surface models could be over-laid one of top of the other, then one surface could be subtracted from the other digitally and the difference remaining would be clear irrefutable proof based on data of the anomalies. If it comes back as " a wash" then there is nothing to this coin...

As collectors, we have the tools and technologies available to us. It's my opinion that we should all be moving more towards data driven proof - have our opinions based more on actual data than our subjective opinions.

Again, thanks for you feedback and comments! Much appreciated.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

now why would someone go though all that trouble just to try and prove something that has already been said doesn't exist on this coin?

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let him spend his money. There's no intuition here... just tuition.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

:s

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NateInSav said:

nice overlays. would you be so kind as to share the prog/method to achieve such a great result? t.i.a.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

"I suppose I have the benefit of having the coin in my hand and my surface inspection microscope"

Your photos are good enough to see what needs to be seen.
    You are over analyzing the coin and over thinking the results. ;)

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not saying this is what it is, but you may want to look into “die clashing” before spending all that money. Just based on what you have described.

*Disclaimer: I briefly looked at your images and don’t see anything at all. Also, die clashing is rarely worth a premium.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• @LanceNewmanOCC said:

@NateInSav said:

nice overlays. would you be so kind as to share the prog/method to achieve such a great result? t.i.a.

Hi Lance,

Thanks!

I used Adobe PhotoShop. I took a high resolution image of the 1922 Peace Dollar in the best grade I could find and then masked the features. So basically the image is loaded into photoshop as the background. Then create a new layer as a "masking layer" the mask layer simply "covers up" the background with a transparency effect. It's tedious and time consuming, but the end results are very interesting. Once you have the layer masked - you can export the resulting image to a file that supports transparency (see through) effects (think GIF or PNG file formats) . Then load your coin image file, import the cutaway masked image as another layer (make sure they are exactly the same number of pixels - will like need to resize the masked overlay to match size - you don't want to reduce the image resolution of the coin you are studying). At that point you can rotate the new layer as desired over your coins image. (This assumes a in collar strike. Broad strikes would need to have the layer moved to match the center point as well as rotation.)

Hope this helps!

Nate

@NateInSav said:

nice. thanks for taking the time. i figured it was something like that. doing layers/transparency/background/element removal, one can have a lot of fun. ms paint supports transparency as well. i do a lot of copy/paste/transparency and some sort of pseudo-layering with it. obviously it cannot compete with paint.net, photoshop, gimp etc. but it can do a lot with some creativity. (despite the amazing advancements in software, i still use paint, notepad and a couple other basic programs to accomplish a lot)

saving those images with the fields removed for future examples/layering will be nice. i would ask if you'd be so kind to send to the email in my profile but i am not sure i can even open a photoshop file. if you find you have some time and would be so generous to post the images with backgrounds removed only, i think i can tinker with them in paint.net. i tried getting that result but the magic tool in that program has yet to achieve such a nice result. (my inexperience)

if you look at where the jaw meets the neck, you can see a ray clash (common) which is behind the eagles head where it meets the body. (this area is close to where we find E clashes on peace dollars which are super scarce and desirable)

if you rotate the reverse superimposed onto the obv in a clockwise manner around 20-30 degrees or so, the clash should line up with your overlay but that isn't a double struck error, just die clashing.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• @Type2 said:
    I don’t see it either. I may need new glasses.

Your reply was good for a chuckle! Thanks. I needed it! :)

I don't fault anyone here for not seeing what I see. Just means I have way more homework to do if I am going to prove what I am saying to others (ie grading folks). Posting here was actually to see if I had any chance of getting this through the grading process as an error coin with the data I currently have.

If you guys cant see it, then the answer to that is NO. I appreciate all of your responses and your taking a look at my work thus far.

Thank you!

@NateInSav said:
    I don't fault anyone here for not seeing what I see. Just means I have way more homework to do if I am going to prove what I am saying to others (ie grading folks). Posting here was actually to see if I had any chance of getting this through the grading process as an error coin with the data I currently have.

If you guys cant see it, then the answer to that is NO. I appreciate all of your responses and your taking a look at my work thus far.

there are double-strucks out there that are easy to miss so while your work is pretty great here, taking close-ups of specific areas (at different angles) along with full-shot images can get us in the ballpark much quicker or even at all.

look forward to your future efforts. :+1:

"If you guys cant see it, then the answer to that is NO."
    "I appreciate all of your responses and your taking a look at my work thus far."

Nice work! It seems that you are a sharp minded person, re-read the responses here and feel free to ask more questions before you spend a bunch more time researching this coin. We are here to help. ;)

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like we’re moving up from the parking lot threads and out of focus photography. I’d call that a win.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

No error. It’s an ordinary Peace Dollar.

• @LanceNewmanOCC said:

saving those images with the fields removed for future examples/layering will be nice. i would ask if you'd be so kind to send to the email in my profile but i am not sure i can even open a photoshop file. if you find you have some time and would be so generous to post the images with backgrounds removed only, i think i can tinker with them in paint.net. i tried getting that result but the magic tool in that program has yet to achieve such a nice result. (my inexperience)

Happy to help the community here. I am attaching the overlay files I created and used. Feel free to use them to look at what you have...

• @ifthevamzarockin said:
    "If you guys cant see it, then the answer to that is NO."
    "I appreciate all of your responses and your taking a look at my work thus far."

Nice work! It seems that you are a sharp minded person, re-read the responses here and feel free to ask more questions before you spend a bunch more time researching this coin. We are here to help. ;)

I do appreciate your and everyone else's responses and feedback. Thanks!

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe use paint and show lines where we should look.

you might be seeing a die clash

@NateInSav said:
    Happy to help the community here. I am attaching the overlay files I created and used. Feel free to use them to look at what you have...

oh my. you did the brute-force method. i was hoping you had discovered a super effective method to removing just background elements with some selection tool. i thought about doing your method but ran short of desire and time. if someone has one of the pen/pads for pc, it would be pretty easy but doing that stuff with a mouse is just painful!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2022 3:05PM

Here's a 1922 flipover double struck Peace Dollar from Mike @Byers to compare, so they do exist!

https://mikebyers.com/20993925.html

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NateInSav said:
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. I suppose I have the benefit of having the coin in my hand and my surface inspection microscope. Pictures only go so far which is why no grading company will certify any coin based on photos alone.

Based on your comments, I am thinking my next step is to send two coins to the lab - this one and a coin with no noted anomalies for 3D surface mapping using a white light interferometer. The white light interferometers have nanometer level accuracies, precision and can create 3D surface models of objects. With surface models of a "common" Peace Dollar versus the one documented here, the two surface models could be over-laid one of top of the other, then one surface could be subtracted from the other digitally and the difference remaining would be clear irrefutable proof based on data of the anomalies. If it comes back as " a wash" then there is nothing to this coin...

As collectors, we have the tools and technologies available to us. It's my opinion that we should all be moving more towards data driven proof - have our opinions based more on actual data than our subjective opinions.

If you were actually basing this on the comments, you'd know there is nothing more you need to do. Everyone is in agreement, and one in particular should be your focus: You have a world-renowned expert telling you everything you need to know.

@FredWeinberg said:
    Sorry, no

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • @davewesen said:
    maybe use paint and show lines where we should look.

you might be seeing a die clash

Decided to spend a little time with my surface microscope this afternoon. Attached is the "PEACE" starts near the "B" ends a little off from the "I". I saw this with my naked eye when I purchased the coin. Getting a good clear photo of obliterated and pressed out details is tough. I had to adjust the contrast and brightness, but did not otherwise alter the photo. Here is what I came up with:

• @Zoins said:
    Here's a 1922 flipover double struck Peace Dollar from Mike @Byers to compare, so they do exist!

They do indeed exist. I have seen photos of this coin too. Thanks for sharing!

• @airplanenut said:

@NateInSav said:
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. I suppose I have the benefit of having the coin in my hand and my surface inspection microscope. Pictures only go so far which is why no grading company will certify any coin based on photos alone.

If you were actually basing this on the comments, you'd know there is nothing more you need to do. Everyone is in agreement, and one in particular should be your focus: You have a world-renowned expert telling you everything you need to know.

@FredWeinberg said:
    Sorry, no

There is no disrespect towards @FredWeinberg or anyone else who has commented here.

• @LanceNewmanOCC said:

@NateInSav said:

oh my. you did the brute-force method. i was hoping you had discovered a super effective method to removing just background elements with some selection tool. i thought about doing your method but ran short of desire and time. if someone has one of the pen/pads for pc, it would be pretty easy but doing that stuff with a mouse is just painful!

Brute force is a good way to have put that. You're right detailed mouse based graphics work is and never has been "fun". :s I hope the cutaway templates helps someone figure out what they have at some point.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NateInSav said:

@airplanenut said:

@NateInSav said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Sorry, no

There is no disrespect towards @FredWeinberg or anyone else who has commented here.

I didn't say you were being disrespectful, but if you say "based on your comments..." and then ignore what everyone said, it's a pretty disingenuous statement, don't you think? You asked a question, got a unanimous response including a reply from one of the world's leading authorities--FOR FREE--and then have state that, based on the comments, you're going to do something that one would only consider doing if the replies were the opposite of what you heard. This is absurd.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • @airplanenut said:

@NateInSav said:

@airplanenut said:

@NateInSav said:

@FredWeinberg said:
    Sorry, no

I didn't say you were being disrespectful, but if you say "based on your comments..." and then ignore what everyone said, it's a pretty disingenuous statement, don't you think? You asked a question, got a unanimous response including a reply from one of the world's leading authorities--FOR FREE--and then have state that, based on the comments, you're going to do something that one would only consider doing if the replies were the opposite of what you heard. This is absurd.

My original purpose for posting here was to gauge if I had researched and created a presentation which would merit sending the coin in for grading. Clearly, I don't have the data or the responses to support my doing that - so it's not my intent unless or until I have further additional data that supports my doing so.

I see nothing wrong with having community discourse regarding this topic and the coin in a civil way. I do have a problem with you saying that I am acting in a disingenuous way. I am not. I can and do appreciate thoughts and comments from others even when I am not in 100% agreement with them. There is nothing disingenuous about that. I don't live in an echo chamber nor do I need or want to. Many great discoveries throughout history would never have been made if the person trying just "gave up". Of course people have gone broke trying foolish things as well. I realize that.

Hopefully neither of us need say anything else regarding this? Perhaps you just misunderstood my intent.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

As with many others, I’m not seeing it. That doesn’t mean it can’t possibly be what you say it is. There’s a small potential that the second strike almost completely obliterated the details of the first strike. If you’re eventually able to demonstrate that you’re right, it still doesn’t really matter. If you need an electron microscope to see it, nobody will really care but you. Most errors are only appreciated if they’re at least somewhat visually interesting.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd read these threads all day long as the O.P. seems kind (yet persistent) and seeking knowledge. I do agree with him having the coin in hand adds an element we don't have the luxury of having. On the flip side, some experts have simply stated the error doesn't exist on this Peace dollar.
    I am looking forward to furthering developments as, unlike the V.D.B. debacle, there is a one-in-a-(fill in the blank) chance here the coin is something other than a typical silver dollar.

peacockcoins

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike GTG, this is whether this coin is what the OP says it is or not. I agree with Bryce that if an E-M scope is needed to see it, who really cares?
    And I bare no malice to any - quite the contrary in that I was hoping it might be obviously as described; I also feel it best for posters to ask the question rather than make a statement.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • It's been a while. Since my last post, I have been able to get some better equipment. While this equipment comes up short of being a scanning electron microscope, ;) It is vastly improved with optics that can handle the glare and gives a better picture.

I am posting a photo which shows the "2" from "1922" and the coin obverse designers insignia on the reverse of the coin. It seems I was a little off (a degree or two) on the rotation of the original presentation, but I was close enough to consider it valid.

These things are visible to my naked eye, but the challenge has been documenting it for everyone else to see. Hopefully, this helps to show what I originally was trying to show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file