Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A great trivia question that I don't know the answer to.

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe one of you guys will know the answer.

What US legal tender coin (including Commemoratives) has the most words on it?

Comments

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2022 5:52AM

    @MWallace said:
    I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe one of you guys will know the answer.

    What US legal tender coin (including Commemoratives) has the most words on it?

    I'd guess the Norfolk commemorative with 36 words (18 words on each side).

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @MWallace said:
    I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe one of you guys will know the answer.

    What US legal tender coin (including Commemoratives) has the most words on it?

    I'd guess the Norfolk commemorative with 36 words.

  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PerryHall said:

    @MWallace said:
    I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe one of you guys will know the answer.

    What US legal tender coin (including Commemoratives) has the most words on it?

    I'd guess the Norfolk commemorative with 36 words.

    That was going to be my guess too

  • Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not looking anything up but wasn’t there a coin that featured the U.S. Constitution, where it featured the first few paragraphs on it? I remember you could actually read the small text under “We The People”. Might be thinking of a non-coin though.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2022 6:08AM

    @JMS1223 said:
    Not looking anything up but wasn’t there a coin that featured the U.S. Constitution, where it featured the first few paragraphs on it? I remember you could actually read the small text under “We The People”. Might be thinking of a non-coin though.

    Here's one Constitution coin, but the paper is still from before the text was written. I haven't been able to find one with words of the Constitution text yet.

  • Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @JMS1223 said:
    Not looking anything up but wasn’t there a coin that featured the U.S. Constitution, where it featured the first few paragraphs on it? I remember you could actually read the small text under “We The People”. Might be thinking of a non-coin though.

    Here's one Constitution coin, but the paper is still from before the text was written. I haven't been able to find one with words of the Constitution text yet.

    Maybe it was a silver round I had. I am thinking it might not had been an actual legal tender coin.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2022 6:25AM

    2009 Lincoln Dollar

    Edited to add: Do we count "A. Lincoln" as one or two words?

    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2022 6:55AM

    @CaptHenway said:
    2009 Lincoln Dollar

    Edited to add: Do we count "A. Lincoln" as one or two words?

    Is this the winner?

  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CaptHenway said:
    2009 Lincoln Dollar

    Edited to add: Do we count "A. Lincoln" as one or two words?

    I think this one is the winner. I would count A. Lincoln as two words.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree with 59.... Seems we have a winner here... Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well that was fun! Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for all of the responses. I guess now a 2009 Lincoln Commem $ is on my want list.

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

    They were hot when they first came out. One of the few commem sellouts, as I recall. Not sure where the value is now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file