Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Submission - Predict the Grades....GRADES/TrueViews IN!

Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 23, 2022 7:50AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Now that my coins have moved from "Received" To "Grading" I thought the time was right to try to predict the grades of the coins I submitted. I had fun with this a couple years ago in this thread, and a little less fun (due to some "Genuine" grades) last year, here.

It is a little depressing to note that I got my grades in 2 weeks back in 2019, but it took 2 months in 2021 - I expect it will be about 3 calendar months now (maybe 1 left to go).

So without further ado - here are the coins I submitted and my predicted grades. I've got the auction house pictures, and, if I have them, some picture I took with my smart phone.

1. 1609-(o) Thaler Brunswick-Wolfenbuttal
    Raw Auction win. Love the Wildman! Dav. 6285. Described as Hübsche Patina. Sehr schön. In hand, pretty weak strike, but surfaces are nice. I've been all over the map (or PCGS has, or both) in grading these. I would say 40-55 for this one. Graded 58.

2. 1723-EPH 12 Mgr Bruns-Wolf
    Another raw auction win, and another (mini) Wildman!
    Described as Prachtexemplar. Herrliche Patina, kl. Randfehler, vorzüglich-Stempelglanz. A little bigger than a quarter. It's pretty original but not as colorful as I usually like. Would guess 55-58. Graded 62.

3. 1708-HB 1/3 Thaler Bruns-C-H
    BRAUNSCHWEIG - CALENBERG - HANNOVER. Georg I. Ludwig, 1698-1714.
    1/3 Taler 1708, Clausthal, Feinsilber, Ausbeute der Grube St. Andreas. Prachtexemplar ! prfr. A little bigger than a quarter.
    I wanted to get one of these St. Andrew coins - the portrait on this one spoke to me. He too, was crucified, but is often depicted with an X shape cross (rather than T shaped). I would guess MS62 on this one. Very detailed. Graded 63.

4. 1723 2 Mgr Bruns-C-H
    Baby Wildman - only the size of dime or so - with lots of color and luster! Described as Prachtvolle Patina, fast Stempelglanz. Thinking MS63 or so. Graded 64.

5. 1702-II Testone Papal States
    This was a bit of an impulse buy - I like that the coin had coins on it! The latin is part of the saying that "Money is either our master or our slave." Maybe 45-55? Probably old cleaning, so i could see a details grade here. Straight grade 55.

6. 1675 Grosso Papal States
    This is a dime size coin and is a companion piece to the piastra I picked up last year. It looks amazing for a 350+ year old coin! Was described as: Patina iridescente SPL Iridescent tone EF. Could go MS 63-65 I think. Really great luster and toning, alive in hand. Graded 63. Thought it could have gone higher.

7. 1694-MF Thaler Passau
    Ok - this is the big one. Described as Herrliche Patina, min. Schrötlingsfehler am Rand, vorzüglich +. Can't wait to see if it grades - I am hoping for MS 63-64. Totally original, and I don't believe there is any actual wear, though there are some spots of strike weakness. I'd be pretty disappointed if it comes back as damaged because of the small planchet flaw. Check out the small little faces on the front and back of the coin. Graded 64.

8. 1696 1/4 Th Salzburg
    I've got a few Salzburg coins, and this one looked nice. The picture makes it look "greasy" but it looked OK in hand. Was described as VZ++. Hoping MS62-63 on this one. Graded 64.

9. 1974 1000 Kr Iceland
    This is just a cool looking coin. Impulse buy. Hoping MS65! Graded 68!

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent write up and images. Terrific coins and I am reluctant to offer thoughts- I agree with the range you have provided on most- I would have a slightly narrower range on 1 being 45-50 and I suspect that would change after seeing in hand.

Agreed with your range on 2

You might see 63 on #3 unless there are surfaces issues.

Agreed with your call on 4

not sure about 5 and 6- 5 might be 45-50 and 6 might 64-65

7 is the one I like the best but that is solely based on the images- 64-65

8 might be more in the 63 to 63+ range

9 looks terrific I would be hoping for 66 to 66+

Here's hoping that it goes well-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Great set of coins. I am really pulling for you on #7. My guesses (I think we have much in common)

1 - AU-53
    2 - AU-55
    3 - MS-62
    4 - AU-58
    5 - AU Det (cleaning)
    6 - MS-62
    7 - MS-63
    8 - MS-63

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the end of the day, I hope you share the results- I am also pulling for you as well for the best outcome on these.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

I will be sure to post with the results and trueviews, whenever that happens!

Thanks for the input!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming there is no issues to be graded “details “ I would guess the following:

1) 40
    2) 45
    3)62
    4)62
    5)55
    6) 58
    7)62
    8)62
    9) 64

PCGS is grading tough but I hope you get better .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2022 8:49AM

Grades are in (after 4.5 months!) - but it seems to have been worth the wait! Posting here and will edit the original post with the actual grade next to my guess.

Overall I am happy - no "genuine" coins, and grades pretty much in line with my guesses, but usually +1.

I'll post TrueViews when available.
    1. 58
    2. 62
    3. 63
    4. 64
    5. 44
    6. 63
    7. 64
    8. 64
    9. 68

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I must have been in a stingy mood when I made my guesses. Congrats on the results across the board! The Passau taler is simply a MONSTER coin; happy to see that result in particular. You better send that one to me for safe keeping.

• Options

Now with True Views!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

STUNNING group of coins and a great result.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

if you can see the leg hair fine, it's better than extra fine

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2022 12:44PM

Lovely. My personal favorite is the Salzburg 1/4 taler, on which the TrueView did not do any justice IMHO, I preferred the original pictures of it. Overall a great submission. 👍🏿

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3