Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Older Optional Items in Master Sets

There was a time when items added to Master Sets that were new additions would be listed for registry participants as optional items. With the advent of their vastly improved research department and the Jumbo holder, things have clearly changed. Now, when a new spec is added, it’s also added to the checklist immediately.

Shouldn’t some (or all) of the optional items be freed from this status, in particular when their population can exceed that of these newer items?

I’m curious how other collectors and PSA feel about this topic.

Thoughts?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

There are a number of optional items in the Ken Griffey Master set listing -- most are for items that PSA no longer grades or they're non-sportscard items such as the Tetley Tea disc "square proof". I don't have a problem with any of these items not being added to the master set.

If you have specific items that you think should have the "optional" status changed, you can email the Set Registry staff and have them make an updated determination.

• Options
    redlegsredlegs Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the Johnny Bench master set PSA won't include the proofs like the Topps Super Proofs of 1970 and 1971 and are relegated to the optional list. PSA moved my 1968 Reds Picture Pack Johnny Bench from eligible to optional when they stopped grading them. It seems that the 1967 and 1968 Reds Picture packs used many of the same photos. However, for Bench he was not in the 1967 set so it doesn't make sense to remove his card. I do have a 1971 Dexter Press postcard and a 1971 Louisville Slugger postcard that they graded but still relegated them as optional because PSA told me they needed more information on them. This didn't make sense to me because then why are you grading them at all.

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Which ones Tim? I agree with most of the items in the optional category after getting explanations from PSA. Not quite sure why they included the full Oklahoma Jumbo slab sheet as optional, but most of the others fit their mold. Needs to have a clear representation of the player with the name and be from a known catalogued release. Most sketch representations are optional as well as all test and proof items. Honestly, some of the items included in the registry should be optional IMO based on their guidelines.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bswhiten said:
    Which ones Tim? I agree with most of the items in the optional category after getting explanations from PSA. Not quite sure why they included the full Oklahoma Jumbo slab sheet as optional, but most of the others fit their mold. Needs to have a clear representation of the player with the name and be from a known catalogued release. Most sketch representations are optional as well as all test and proof items. Honestly, some of the items included in the registry should be optional IMO based on their guidelines.

I just look at it like a Master Set should be everything that isn’t a 1 of 1. Most people do it out of love for the player and you can adjust the other end - the required percentage of set completion - to adjust and account for the scarcer items.

It’s not something major or specific at all; just feels like the many of the optional items could be revisited at this point as their populations continue to grow.

I like looking through many player Registry Master Sets and it just seemed pretty antiquated at this point: being inclusive is so in right now.

😉